Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Asterisk + airport on etix? (*ISTANBUL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz 5*, Le Accor Gold

Hi all,

a friend of mine flies with his friend some double open-jaw trip this month. They have separate bookings each and this is, what I see on etix:

Her Etix:
SOMEWHERE 17NOV ISTANBUL
ISTANBUL 18NOV WHATEVER
ARNK
ANYWHERE 10DEC ISTANBUL
ISTANBUL 10DEC HOME

His Etix:
SOMEWHERE 17NOV ISTANBUL
*ISTANBUL 18NOV WHATEVER
ARNK
ANYWHERE 10DEC ISTANBUL
*ISTANBUL 10DEC HOME

The question is:
Why is there an asterisk (*) in front of his second Istanbuls?
Does it have some special meaning or what? They DO have a different return fare and a different luggage allowance (his are both higher), but no other difference is there. They don't have any status etc.

Thanks for any help,
- Peter
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: BA, CX, OZ
Usually e-tickets in their formal formatting may entail a cross on sectors 2 or after, which indicates that you are not allowed to stopover between the previous sector and the sector with the cross. My guess is that the asterik may indicate exactly this. Your friend's ticketing rules at purchase dictates that he may not extend his stay at Istanbul, and that he is officially only allowed to transit within a 24-hour time frame. (Even though technically he should still be allowed to ‘sneak out' for half a day, per se.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:34 am

Hi Peter
Hard to say without seeing the exact itinerary receipt but a * usually indicates a married segment connection, which means that you can’t change a leg without changing the incoming/outgoing flight associated to it at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.