Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Somewhat complicated routing.. interlining bags..and more... NEED HELP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond - Hilton +Hyatt

Hi guys I need some advice.

Now, checking through bags with star alliance even if you are not on the same booking is usually a non issue. But I have a rather complicated routing and I was wondering if anyone has had similar..

I am travelling in J with the following routing.

MI - SIN to HKT
MH - HKT KUL LHR
OS - LHR VIE LWO

Although MH is OW and MI is part of SQ and so 'sort of' part of SA, because of Singapore's proximity to Malaysia they even have codeshare flights and I assume would interline bags..

I wonder if they would check my bags through all the way to LWO... that would save me LOTS of problems. If they do not... then I would have to go through immigration, collect and re-check at BOTH HKT AND LHR.

If I have to do that, is there no way to collect bags airside? Like some sort transfer desk or baggage collection/re-check especially for transfer passengers, I know in the US they dont have stuff like that for sure but what about in this situation. I've never really needed to transfer so many times so this is gonna be interesting.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
You will be checking in with MI which are not part of star alliance, and neither is the 2nd airline in your routing.

I'd be surprised if you can through check bags.

Expect to clear immigration & customs in HKT and again in LHR to claim bags and recheck.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jdaniel
I am travelling in J with the following routing.

MI - SIN to HKT
MH - HKT KUL LHR
OS - LHR VIE LWO

Although MH is OW and MI is part of SQ and so 'sort of' part of SA, because of Singapore's proximity to Malaysia they even have codeshare flights and I assume would interline bags..
I don't think that's a safe assumption at all.

If MI will not interline to MH, you will have to clear immigration and customs at HKT, recheck your bags, then clear customs and immigration outbound to get airside.

And I am even more doubtful about an LHR interline. OW carriers won't even interline to other OW carriers on separate tix, let alone carriers in a difference alliance.

I hope you have left at least four hours for each of those connections.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Presuming this is not one PNR, I think you are out of luck. OW does not check to *A when on separate booking, full stop. So I do not think that MI agent will be able to check you through to LWO. Maybe to LHR, but IMHO no further. To make it even worse, this is complicated routing and there has been discussions about more than 4/5 transit points before...

Even if it is on one PNR, you may still face troubles due to amount of transfers if the check in agent is not skilled enough...

In LHR, be prepared for moving from T4 to T2 as well. Have fun.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 8:33 pm

...I am travelling in J with the following routing.

MI - SIN to HKT
MH - HKT KUL LHR
OS - LHR VIE LWO
Unless this is some sort of a multi-alliance MR, why don't you fly SIN-MUC-LWO ? This would be shorter (flying time), one stop, and probably cheaper.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yeah, I agree. This routing makes absolutely no sense. If you really have to do it, travel with hand luggage only. There is no chance for bags being tagged to final destination for this itinerary (which is obviously on 3 separate tickets).
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OP has apparently built the itinerary around a sale fare HKT-LHR on MH for 1062 euro. MH HKT-LHR e1062.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
If you really have to do it, travel with hand luggage only.
+1
Checking bags will be regretted on this itinerary.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
Unless this is some sort of a multi-alliance MR, why don't you fly SIN-MUC-LWO ? This would be shorter (flying time), one stop, and probably cheaper.
you have 4000+ posts and you are making this sort of silly comments? lol jeeez

It MH it's J do the math...
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
OP has apparently built the itinerary around a sale fare HKT-LHR on MH for 1062 euro. MH HKT-LHR e1062.

+1
Bravo it's actually 600 Euros. 😁
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee

+1
Not much choice I'll be in LWO for months. I'll have 2 carry on so I'll be prepared to do without my check in for a few days.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:08 am

Not much choice I'll be in LWO for months. I'll have 2 carry on so I'll be prepared to do without my check in for a few days.
You can do it at both HKT and LHR, you'll just need several hours at each airport for the physical transfer (not counting any cushion for flight delays). Neither is a great airport to do this. LHR is particularly bad due to the distances and the immigration and security hassles.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
I'd be surprised if you didn't have to recheck your bag at both phuket and london heathrow. what is your connection time at both airports?

In addition, odds of losing your bags at london heathrow are very high in my experience. It's a big busy airport and things can and do go wrong often there.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
you have 4000+ posts and you are making this sort of silly comments? lol jeeez

It MH it's J do the math...
No need for such arrogance and rudeness. Not everyone on FT is a maximiser and/or willing to travel like this. I would not!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:25 pm

Your problem is most likely be in "lugging" your checked luggage around HKT and LHR.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:24 am
Original Poster

So far I have contacted Silkair and they told me I could interline my bags to KL at the minimum, so I shall post back after and let you guys know how it went.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.