Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

China's Juneyao Airlines to join Star Alliance group in 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

At a ceremony held in Shanghai today, Star Alliance and Juneyao Airlines formally sealed a strategic partnership which will see the Shanghai based airline become a “Connecting Partner” of Star Alliance in 2017. Under the Alliance’s innovative partnership concept, the airline will soon start offering services such as through-checkin, as well as Lounge access and other Priority privileges to qualifying passengers travelling on connecting itineraries with Star Alliance member airlines.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/news-...leId=119655972
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
What the heck is Juneyao Airlines????
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by keitherson
Good question
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneyao_Airlines
Juneyao Airlines is a major carrier based in Shanghai, China, operating both domestic and international services from two airports (Shanghai Hongqiao Intl' Airport and Shanghai Pudong Intl' Airport).[1][2] The company was founded in 2005[3] as a subsidiary of Shanghai JuneYao (Group) Co., Ltd,[4] and started operation on September 2006
A "Connecting Partner" is not a full member
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:28 am

Likely to be benefits like baggage....lounge etc... probably miles but NOT Status Points.....

As is currently the case with other airlines NOT full members of *A....(Flying FJ on an NZ code for instance)
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by keitherson
The 3rd or 4th largest Shanghai based airline. I end up on them fairly often; not good, but not bad either. I will say that they are remarkably stingy when it comes to doling out miles in their own program (i.e. I typically book a day or two in advance, and the vast majority of my flights accrue ZERO), and I am doubtful that they will suddenly become more generous after they join *A.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I flew them last year, at the time they were one of the few airlines flying to XMN out
of PVG rather than SHA, so I was able to make a direct connection.
I was impressed ( in J class) on a very new aircraft. Lounge, meal, service - all good.

And, on a funny note, when I researched this flight on Exper Flyer, they had the "HO" code
linked to some other defunct airline. I had to point them inthe right direction.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
The 3rd or 4th largest Shanghai based airline. I end up on them fairly often; not good, but not bad either. I will say that they are remarkably stingy when it comes to doling out miles in their own program (i.e. I typically book a day or two in advance, and the vast majority of my flights accrue ZERO), and I am doubtful that they will suddenly become more generous after they join *A.
But in China many times deep discount fares are released a few days prior to travel.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
But in China many times deep discount fares are released a few days prior to travel.
This is not the case on the routes I fly any more; starting at about 2 weeks out, fares tend to rise as the day of travel approaches, and rarely fall significantly. The problem is that typical discounts (e.g. 40%) don't accrue miles on HO. Ctrip often offers the opportunity to spend an additional ~Y200 in order to earn 50% miles...um, no thanks.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:23 am

Programs: TK M&S, BAEC, EK
I have used this airline in discounted J on the DLC-PVG route. Seat and service were fine and they had a reasonable lounge at PVG.

They have a funny nickname in China - Nai Hang - which roughly translates as Milk Air. This is because apparently the parent group that owns them has specialized in milk and dairy products among other things.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: china air, Hainan many more
The Brown Bag

How can anyone take Junyao airlines seriously when they offer a brown paper bag with water and peanuts in it in first class??????

REALLY???

Not one airline does this and it is a put down and humiliating gesture. To think that a billion dollar airline serves a brown paper bag???

This is not acceptable. This is not what first class means. This airline does not know what first class is and or what class is about!!!

I advise this airline not to take advantage of the Chinese population not knowing much about first class. Because they will find out after eating too many peanuts. Go to Virgin Air or Hainan.

Until this changes, as an absolute last resort, I will be forced to fly this airlines! Otherwise, I will not.

Tim
[email protected]
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Expect joining date to be mid May which happens to be Star's 20th anniversary.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Expect joining date to be mid May which happens to be Star's 20th anniversary.
I personally can't wait for this to happen! Juneyao offers *A pax connecting in PVG a number of great deep Asia connections, e.g. KBV or CNX, otherwise difficult from the Americas.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
"Lovely" first post by @timwet... Seems he likes lots of multiple punctuation marks...
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
"Lovely" first post by @timwet... Seems he likes lots of multiple punctuation marks...
Methinks that person has yet to experience an airplane flight (though I must admit that HO isn't exactly shangrila).
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Official joining date coming next month, HO has signed interline agreement with 5 Star members (minimum requirement is 3) with more to come before the end of the year. Hopefully this will lead to better connection arrangement at PVG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.