Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Flying YYZ to SIN with kids (3 yr old and 6 month old)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: S.E, Preferred Select, SPG Platinum

Does anyone have any recommendations on routings for YYZ-SIN? I'm going to be traveling with my wife plus our 3 year old and 6 month old. I'm interested to know preferred routings/ layover durations/preferred times to leave for outbound and return. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by 1st Class Gekko
Does anyone have any recommendations on routings for YYZ-SIN? I'm going to be traveling with my wife plus our 3 year old and 6 month old. I'm interested to know preferred routings/ layover durations/preferred times to leave for outbound and return. Thanks in advance.
There are a multitude of routings. With two kids?? One aircraft change least amount of elapsed flying time. If the connections are suitable, I would vote for YYZ-ICN-SIN. Get the long leg over first - ICN is an excellent transfer airport with a multitude of facilities.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
i've done this via HKG and catching the SQ A380 from there. my kids were a bit older so getting on the 2nd floor of a plane was the highlight of their day
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
If you don't mind the red-eye departure, BR YYZ-TPE-SIN has very good connections,
should be similar to the ICN connection recommended by ACYYZ/SD.

Also SQ is restarting the non-stops from USA West coast, you may look into that.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:45 pm

I do this trip with my kids usually twice a year. We normally go through Tokyo. It breaks the trip up and you cand get a roughly two hour connection. I find that's enough time for the kids to stretch their legs, run around, buy some more milk, refill the ice in the milk cooler, etc...
Also, my Japanese is way better than my Cantonese or Korean.

Longer connection tends to make the kids get bored and nap on the ground. I like them napping only on the flight for the sanity of others. I have not done ICN as it is usually about $100-200 more and x4 that adds up.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by karachi
i've done this via HKG and catching the SQ A380 from there. my kids were a bit older so getting on the 2nd floor of a plane was the highlight of their day
Are you kidding?

It was my first 380 flight and getting on the second floor was the highlight of my day.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I'm older than you, and ditto (LAX-NRT). Trying to look all cool and everything, but ...
I've stayed in posh hotels, and had even arrived at LAX on AC J that day, but I was rather agog right through the dessert, when the comfy bed won out. I'd work for half price if it involved SQ on a 380 in J!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Depending on when you are going, YYZ-SFO-SIN on AC and UA Booked through UA the AC flight is a code share.

Flight leaves SFO at 10:30p so depending on what time you arrive you could have the day in SFO. Arrives SIN at 7:30 am. UA 1 is a 789 that's 3-3-3. Flt time is 17hr appx. YYZ-SFO is 5hr and a bit.

Last fall I did the trip 4 times. Always YYZ-EWR-HKG-SIN all on UA in J. Flt time with cnx was appx 22hr.

Return was SIN-NRT-ORD-YYZ and SIN-NRT-HNL-EWR-YYZ.
NRT HNL was an evening departure and an early am arrival, spent the day on the beach at Waikiki, took the 9:30 nonstop to EWR and the 12:30 to YYZ. tpac were all lie flat, OP did not say Y or J.
UA dropped the NRT-SIN flight this year so the return is now via SFO nonstop or HKG on the connection, though you could stop over in HKG if you wanted.

Last edited by yul36; Sep 1, 2016 at 8:50 pm
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Originally Posted by yul36
Depending on when you are going, YYZ-SFO-SIN on AC and UA Booked through UA the AC flight is a code share.

Flight leaves SFO at 10:30p so depending on what time you arrive you could have the day in SFO. Arrives SIN at 7:30 am. UA 1 is a 789 that's 3-3-3. Flt time is 17hr appx. YYZ-SFO is 5hr and a bit.

Last fall I did the trip 4 times. Always YYZ-EWR-HKG-SIN all on UA in J. Flt time with cnx was appx 22hr.

Return was SIN-NRT-ORD-YYZ and SIN-NRT-HNL-EWR-YYZ.
NRT HNL was an evening departure and an early am arrival, spent the day on the beach at Waikiki, took the 9:30 nonstop to EWR and the 12:30 to YYZ. tpac were all lie flat, OP did not say Y or J.
UA dropped the NRT-SIN flight this year so the return is now via SFO nonstop or HKG on the connection, though you could stop over in HKG if you wanted.

As a family, we've always had success with flights that arrive at night vs. flights that arrive early morning. This allows us to hit the hotel when we land and get some ZZZZzzzz . HKG, ICN and NRT/HND would all get you into SIN mid/late evening, with a short 20 min taxi downtown to your hotel. UA1 as well as BR's flight and any EU flights via LHR, FRA or MUC would likely get you in early morning.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Get the long leg over first.
Curious as to why you say that as I have the exact opposite preference? The last thing I want to do while jetlagged after a long haul is to take a short segment anywhere. Sometimes it's unavoidable depending on your destination, but in this case I'd shoot for the UA or SQ nonstop and go YYZ-SFO-SIN.

Cheers
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Curious as to why you say that as I have the exact opposite preference? The last thing I want to do while jetlagged after a long haul is to take a short segment anywhere. Sometimes it's unavoidable depending on your destination, but in this case I'd shoot for the UA or SQ nonstop and go YYZ-SFO-SIN.

Cheers
Largely because of the departure time of AC061/ICN (1335). While I don't have kids, I can't imagine it would be fun getting 2 kids settled in the wee hours of the morning such as BR or CX's middle of the night departures from YYZ, and SQ and UA's late departures from SFO/LAX. I often work 739 (YYZ-SFO) and see families with kids connecting to UA001 @ 2255 & SQ001 @ 0115 and believe me it appears to be an ordeal.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
All due respect to ACYYZ/SD...

I've done a dozen+ TPACs so far this year on almost all were on AC 15/16, CX 829/826, BR 36 and BR 15.

BR 15 LAX-TPE leaves at 01:00. CX 829 leaves close to 01:45

For all these flights, the gate areas were full of young children in strollers or baby carriers.

For some reason, onboard, most were asleep.

While managing young children can be challenging when doing anything for a long period of time, I was pretty impressed. I would conclude that part of it is the child themselves and part is how the parents manage.

On the recent BR 36 which leaves TPE close to 20:00 and is essentially an overnight flight, I was really impressed with the kids and especially one mom who had 3 young ones including a baby.

Who was it that posted that some of the kids behave better than some of the elite adults.....

AC 15 is daytime flying and it is very challenging for an adult to sleep, let alone young children.

We need more toys...for both age groups
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by 24left
We need more toys...for both age groups
Maybe this will also be an enhancement added to Altitude 2017:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-eyw-kids.html

Skyriders, it's not just for kids - we're hoping it will also keep you distracted while we continue to chip away at your status benefits.

Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
While managing young children can be challenging when doing anything for a long period of time, I was pretty impressed. I would conclude that part of it is the child themselves and part is how the parents manage.
+1. On all of our flights my daughter flies on my lap rather than my wife's, and I'll just leave it at that....
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The A380s on LH and KE don't have special business class cabins at all. In fact, IMO they're worse than DL business class cabins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.