Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Which *A program for infrequent flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*

Most of my travel is on AA, DL, and WN. Rarely do I fly UA, but will be on TK this fall. Rather than not get any miles, should I sign up for UA (as a US based pax) or is there a better *A program for infrequent flyers? This is the one alliance I know very little about, so any thoughts will be helpful. Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
In view of your location, I would suggest signing up for United's program. If you also register a credit card with their dining program (any credit card that is not registered with a different airline's dining program), it's easy to keep your miles active even if you rarely fly UA or its partners. Before you take any action, however, it would be wise to visit the UA website, go to the section on earning miles on partner airlines, and make sure that your TK ticket is in a class eligible for earning miles on UA.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:45 am

If you want star alliance gold quickly, sign up for the TK or OZ program if your fare gets at least 100% miles. Both these programs will let you earn star gold for 40k miles over the span of 2 years and you have an additional 2 years to enjoy the status which includes international lounge access and priority boarding when flying on other star alliance carriers. (UA requires 50k over the span of 1 year in comparison) SQ has some pretty good redemptions for international premium travel. UA has some decent redemption options but it is not the most rewarding. You could also try AC which allows for short domestic US/Canada flights for 7.5k miles one way.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Good advice above, since Aegean caught up with the rest of the Star Alliance.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are your long term objectives with a ffp?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Most of my travel is on AA, DL, and WN. Rarely do I fly UA, but will be on TK this fall. Rather than not get any miles, should I sign up for UA (as a US based pax) or is there a better *A program for infrequent flyers? This is the one alliance I know very little about, so any thoughts will be helpful. Thanks!
If you care only about this flight try status match to TK and then enjoy the lounge in IST.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.