Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Upgrade to Cathay Pacific First Class with *A (advert error)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

Apparently

Old Apr 16, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
What do you mean? Where on the picture is says you can upgrade to Cathay?
Old Apr 16, 2016, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by vbroucek
What do you mean? Where on the picture is says you can upgrade to Cathay?
This is a picture of CX F.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
This is a picture of CX F.
Have you flown all possible F configurations on all *A airlines that you can comfortably say that this picture cannot be from *A and is indeed picture of CX F? I doubt that.

I also doubt that *A web designers would be so dumb to put CX F picture on their web.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Have you flown all possible F configurations on all *A airlines that you can comfortably say that this picture cannot be from *A and is indeed picture of CX F? I doubt that.

I also doubt that *A web designers would be so dumb to put CX F picture on their web.
It's not:
United. ANA. EVA. Lufthansa. Swiss. South African. Austrian. Air Canada. Brussels. Asiana. Thai. Air NZ. Turkish. Singapore. SAS.

Also going on a hunch (and photos) it's not Air India or Air China.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think I'll trust JVPhoto and Lucky on this one

One Mile At A Time.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:39 pm

Well that seems convincing enough to me... Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
It's a stock photo from Shutterstock:

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-1832...64_uWXFzpA-1-0
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
It's a stock photo from Shutterstock:

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-1832...64_uWXFzpA-1-0
You'd think with all the resources to planes/media within *A...
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:24 am

I think i have flown all Star F except AI. And I have flown CX F umpty times (actually three times in the last 2 weeks). So trust me....
Old Apr 17, 2016, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This reminds me of a recent scandal in which the new (and now former) person hired from outside for a position that was something like director of tourism for the state of Rhode Island reportedly produced materials that contained pictures of Iceland. Iceland is an Island, so Rhode Island versus Iceland didn't seem to make a difference. I find it rather funny but of course sad too that someone could be so lazy/sloppy and especially so ignorant of the place they were hired to represent.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This reminds me of a recent scandal in which the new (and now former) person hired from outside for a position that was something like director of tourism for the state of Rhode Island reportedly produced materials that contained pictures of Iceland. Iceland is an Island, so Rhode Island versus Iceland didn't seem to make a difference. I find it rather funny but of course sad too that someone could be so lazy/sloppy and especially so ignorant of the place they were hired to represent.
A few years back both Dell and HP chose the same stock photo for their back-to-school ads, which were running in the same magazine.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist

It is photo of CX's First Class...although Im guessing it's an old one. If you zoom in on the napkin, you would notice that the "CATHAY PACIFIC" logo was blurred out.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Basically:

(1) A young professional at Star Alliance HQ gets assigned the job of marketing the first class upgrade facility, and needs to produce an ad for this

(2) Aforementioned young professional thinks: "Ah, I'll put in a photo of Singapore Airlines' world-leading first class product"

(3) Singapore Airlines sees the draft ad and vetoes it ("What?! You want to advertise to non-Krisflyer plebs that they can upgrade to our heavenly first class product?! No - we're not opening first class upgrade availability to those lowly sub-humans... upgrades to first should only be available for Krisflyer members")

(4) Young marketing professional gets really annoyed that his/her work has gone down the drain and takes revenge on SQ by inserting a picture of a CX first class cabin
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Too much travel
Basically:

(1) A young professional at Star Alliance HQ gets assigned the job of marketing the first class upgrade facility, and needs to produce an ad for this

(2) Aforementioned young professional thinks: "Ah, I'll put in a photo of Singapore Airlines' world-leading first class product"

(3) Singapore Airlines sees the draft ad and vetoes it ("What?! You want to advertise to non-Krisflyer plebs that they can upgrade to our heavenly first class product?! No - we're not opening first class upgrade availability to those lowly sub-humans... upgrades to first should only be available for Krisflyer members")

(4) Young marketing professional gets really annoyed that his/her work has gone down the drain and takes revenge on SQ by inserting a picture of a CX first class cabin
:lol:

My guess would be *A doesn't even run the website, I'm sure it's outsourced to a design firm and nobody at *A even had looked at the photo. Or if they did, they just didn't care.

Not that I can blame them, nobody outside of FT would notice this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.