Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Non star alliance sectors within ticket. *G privileges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G OZ

Hi there

I'm flying within Australia on Quantas and then on to Canada and within Canada on Air Canada. As a *G member can I access lounge before Quantas sector? Will I get 2 pieces of luggage all the way through?

Thank you.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jamcro
Hi there

I'm flying within Australia on Quantas and then on to Canada and within Canada on Air Canada. As a *G member can I access lounge before Quantas sector? Will I get 2 pieces of luggage all the way through?

Thank you.
Why would you receive lounge access while flying QANTAS - which is oneworld - and not *A? Lounge access for *G is for *A departing flights only.
Are you flying on one ticket (one PNR) or separate ones?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Yes, one ticket.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, one ticket.
You get *A lounge access only at airports where you are departing on a *A flight. So that means no access prior to the QF departure.

The luggage question is complicated. What does your ticket receipt say?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I suspect QF follows the "most significant carrier" rule, in which case you'd get AC's baggage allowance for *G.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

That's the rule! I've had a trip before where that applied. I just couldn't remember the name of the rule. Thanks. I'll check with qantas before I show up with too many bags.

The only time I'll really miss the lounge access is on the return flight when I'll be stuck in Sydney waiting for the qantas flight. It's annoying that there aren't any options for *A flights within Australia. I could reroute through AKL but that would add lots of time.
Thanks.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 7:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....

typically baggage allowance is going to be the originating carrier rules for their portion of the itinerary
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
SYD has 2 airports- you will be arriving at the domestic and will need to take the shuttle to the International. Give yourself enough time. Chances you will need to check in again at the AC desk as I am not sure if QF can issue AC boarding documents.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I suspect QF follows the "most significant carrier" rule, in which case you'd get AC's baggage allowance for *G.
I thought MSC rules only applied to ticket allowance not additional status allowance.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Answer, no.

I flew DFW-MEX-PTY-MDE (AA, CM, CM) only star alliance benefits I got were for the CM flights, not only that, but AA couldn't tag through to CM (which I expected) so I had to tag DFW-MEX retrieve and then present myself to the check-in at MEX for CM.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I thought MSC rules only applied to ticket allowance not additional status allowance.
Correct.
Will receive standard AC allowance, not status-based allowance.

And of course, no lounge before QF flights
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Thanks for the clarification, Xiaotung and rankourabu.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everybody for your advice. *G seems to have limited utility in Australia.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:44 pm

*G seems to have limited utility in Australia.
True that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.