Rank the Lounges!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
For UA lounges, LHR is better than NRT.
agreed.

TK lounge in IST is superb, but showers can get crowded and they are beginning to fall apart.

SEN lounges in MUC are nice, my favorite lounges in the EU.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Are you sure? Only the international lounges in NRT (x2) and HND (x2) have noodle bars. The international lounge in KIX has food but no noodle bar. Their domestic lounges at other Japanese airports have free drinks but only offer small packets of rice crackers and no other food..
Obviously did not mean to imply that all NH lounges have noodle bars.

Never been to the MLL in FRA after the disappointment of LHR, maybe next time.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
The MLL in FRA is a step up that the normal good(ish) MLL with a large food spread, numerous new showers (that havent had a wait for), lots of seating, daybed/private tv viewing alcoves.

AV in MEX is a bit of a letdown. It is in the former AMEX Cenutrion lounge down a windy stairwell with contract staff (meaning they can't help with AV/*A bookings). Although it is recently renovated, it is small, limited tarmac view, self serve bar with ok selection (they have Bombay Sapphire Gin which is hard to get in MEX), and limited food offerings (but more than what you would find in at the UC in MEX). It is in the opposite end of the terminal (if you're flying other *A partners) so you have to leave yourself lots of time.

The UA Club in MEX was surprisingly decent (although decor is dated). They have sparkling wine, self serve bar with mid tier booze and aperitifs, and corona, pacifico, and other local beers available. Food is snack oriented, but an upgrade to the traditional cheese/crackers (that is slowly being changed with the new food offerings). When I was there, it was not busy at all, and you can actually dial US/CAN numbers (without paying) using the phones, as the phone line runs on an old CO voip system that originates from the US.
Leave yourself extra time to get to the gates though. They are not close by (unless you're flying AV).
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Rank the LHR T2 Lounges

Bump.

With AC, LH, SQ, UA lounges at LHR T2 (are there more?), how would you rank them? Assuming a) you have time and b) don't mind walking to/from the satellite terminal, is it worth lounge hopping?

I'm just wondering which lounges stand out, or if one's better than another in certain aspects.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Tennen
Bump.

With AC, LH, SQ, UA lounges at LHR T2 (are there more?), how would you rank them? Assuming a) you have time and b) don't mind walking to/from the satellite terminal, is it worth lounge hopping?

I'm just wondering which lounges stand out, or if one's better than another in certain aspects.
Havent been to SQ. UA has nice showers, decent food, and a nice cocktail bar. LH (the Senator one anyway) nice recliners, decent food, and self serve booze. I wouldnt go out of my way to visit one or the other, would just go closest to may gate.

AC is the smallest, and the dingiest, with one working shower. Decent food, but definitely will never waste my time there again.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by kwflyer
AV in MEX is a bit of a letdown. It is in the former AMEX Cenutrion lounge down a windy stairwell with contract staff (meaning they can't help with AV/*A bookings). Although it is recently renovated, it is small, limited tarmac view, self serve bar with ok selection (they have Bombay Sapphire Gin which is hard to get in MEX), and limited food offerings (but more than what you would find in at the UC in MEX). It is in the opposite end of the terminal (if you're flying other *A partners) so you have to leave yourself lots of time.

The UA Club in MEX was surprisingly decent (although decor is dated). They have sparkling wine, self serve bar with mid tier booze and aperitifs, and corona, pacifico, and other local beers available. Food is snack oriented, but an upgrade to the traditional cheese/crackers (that is slowly being changed with the new food offerings). When I was there, it was not busy at all, and you can actually dial US/CAN numbers (without paying) using the phones, as the phone line runs on an old CO voip system that originates from the US.
Leave yourself extra time to get to the gates though. They are not close by (unless you're flying AV).
I have no idea where that UA club is, I'll likely check it out next time I'm in MEX (I always seem to be arriving or departing during hours the lounges are closed).

I did check out the AV MEX lounge a couple weeks back. There are huge positives. As you've said, there's not really any view, it's very small, there's also not much going on in that section of the terminal either.

Now the positives, it's got wifi, the terminal has multiple wifi signals, but you've got to be either a subscriber to Mexican telecom services (which most of us probably don't) or you can KINDA get around that I found, but it only lasts like 5 minutes before the popup comes back. It's got cereal, toast and some other finger foods in the morning which I liked. I also liked that the drinks are self serve, there was lots of choices and liquor was available at all hours. I hadn't slept so I kinda wanted a drink, but instead I actually opted to put 2 of the mini couches together and take a little nap. Probably not the best lounge behavior but I was damn tired. There's some work stations, tables, a couple TVs on local channels. The bathroom is small but nice, no showers of course.

So, I'm *G, but I was flying on AA, despite flying on star later in the day, I couldn't get in with my *G, ok I understand. I don't have the priority pass card, so I was willing to pay the fee, which was around 375MXN ($30 CAD roughly). The price is lower than most lounges, with good reason for the size IMO, but I was kinda desperate, I only had about 1:30 in there, but I took a little nap and just generally felt more comfortable. I was bummed she wouldn't take cash though, I had 400 pesos I wanted to unload and she couldn't take them.

I'm not sure if it's accessible for AA J flyers, but for a third party lounge it's not bad (though they dress as if they work for AV). It's worth using if you're there, but don't show up extra early to spend time in there.

On a sidebar topic, having recently visited the TB MLL recently, I was in real need of a shower, never having used them at any lounge before I found it to be quite nice. It was clean, and most importantly dry...I hate when there's wetness everywhere. The shower itself was great, I only wish they had disposable toothbrush/paste, I realize most people going in there would be travelling carry on and would be carrying those items, but I wasn't and was bummed cuz I would've liked to brush, but oh well.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
The *A lounge at LAX TBIT sits pretty high on my list of J lounges. Good food offering (I usually do the pho), bars, and a huge variety of seating options.

To Tennen's question about LHR T2, both the UA and LH lounges are nice. The LH SEN lounge was packed when I flew through last time. The UA lounge seems to be able to absorb the peak traffic better. I definitely would stick with the lounge closer to my gate (although SN changed departure gates to a B gate last time...)
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:34 am

I think we need a thread for "worst lounges in *A" as well...the discussions and posts will be way more interesting
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Strange one here to way in with: SN. I found their new Loft at BRU to be extremely good. I'd rank it as one of the best Star Business lounges I've been to. Showers, nap rooms, business center, decent food and alcohol spread and very helpful staff. Plus, great tarmac views.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
Strange one here to way in with: SN. I found their new Loft at BRU to be extremely good. I'd rank it as one of the best Star Business lounges I've been to. Showers, nap rooms, business center, decent food and alcohol spread and very helpful staff. Plus, great tarmac views.
I suppose there are separate schengen and international lounges? If yes, is the schengen lounge on par? (will visit in a couple weeks)
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:28 am

TK in IST and LH (sen) in MUC is my top two.

All my colleagues who have visited IST loved it and always think of going back.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HasteFlier
I suppose there are separate schengen and international lounges? If yes, is the schengen lounge on par? (will visit in a couple weeks)
There are indeed, the one I'm referring to is the Schengen Lounge in Concourse A. There's a second one at the end of the A Concourse and a third one in Concourse B for Non-Schengen. Trust me, going to The Loft is worth it:

Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
There are indeed, the one I'm referring to is the Schengen Lounge in Concourse A. There's a second one at the end of the A Concourse and a third one in Concourse B for Non-Schengen. Trust me, going to The Loft is worth it
Great news, thanks !
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:43 am

The Loft looks fantastic
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by lgts
The Loft looks fantastic
I was amazed by how good it was, especially as my BRU-TXL flight on SN was pretty bad (late departure, buy on board only, horrible slimline seats) but this lounge was top notch. The showers are very good too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.