Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

SATS Premier Lounge Access at Changi

Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold/OneWorld Ruby

I recently flew SIN-PEK on CA and as a *G had no trouble accessing the very nice SATS Premier Lounge in T1 of Changi Airport.

However, as I was entering there was a gentleman being refused entry by the lounge dragons. From what I gathered he was flying business class on TK and connecting through SIN. The dragon refused him on the (implausible sounding to me) theory that only TK passengers originating at SIN were eligible to enter, not those transiting through SIN.

I asked to take him into the lounge as my guest. She refused, saying that guests must be on the same flight. I have never experienced that policy before on the admittedly rare occasions that I have brought a guest with me to a lounge. I didn't have the policy at my fingertips and so gave up. I find this policy on the *A website:

Eligible guests: International First, Star Alliance Gold and Eligible Paid Lounge Membership customers are entitled to one guest. The guest must enter the designated lounge with the eligible customer. The guest must also present a boarding pass for any Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport.

It seems to me that she should have let me take him as my guest.

The only thing I can think of is that since the SATS Premier Lounge is not a member airline's own lounge maybe different policies apply? Or are my instincts correct and the lounge dragon was making up rules?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium

The SATS lounge is considered a Contract Lounge. The applicable policy as per the *A website states that:

Customer is entitled to one guest. Guest must be departing on the same carrier as the eligible Star Alliance Gold customer

In that sense the lounge agent was right, unless you were also on TK, you could not guest him into a contract lounge. You would have been able to do so at the T1 TG lounge (but it was probably closed by then) or the T2/T3 Krisflyer Gold Lounges as these are "airline owned"

I'm not sure why TK would deny transit J passengers lounge access though, it sounds very dubious.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If he was flying J on TK, he could have accessed the SKL.

Note that the *A lounge finder says he should also have been able to access the SATS lounge.

Are you sure he was flying J?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat

SATS premier lounge is nice. Was there a few weeks ago. I also remember receiving an invitation from the airline to access the lounge. Maybe that's what was needed for them to process the entrance. As mentioned above, contract lounge policies are different than star alliance lounge policies.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It may very well be that TK doesn't have an agreement with SATS in SIN because they expect their C customers to use the SQ SKL.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Folks, please keep in mind that from the initial info it appears that the gentleman in question was flying CGK-IST on TK67 (with a short stop in SIN; no change of aircraft/carrier) rather than SIN-IST and this was the reason for denying him access.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:14 am

It seems from the Star Alliance rule quoted in the 2nd post that your guest also had to be flying CA.

"Customer is entitled to one guest. Guest must be departing on the same carrier as the eligible Star Alliance Gold customer"
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Folks, please keep in mind that from the initial info it appears that the gentleman in question was flying CGK-IST on TK67 (with a short stop in SIN; no change of aircraft/carrier) rather than SIN-IST and this was the reason for denying him access.
That has nothing to do with anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.