Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best way to book award from LAX-DPS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking on United.com and they have a round trip from April 11th-22nd LAX-DPS for 80k+40ish taxes. Is there a better way to book award travel? Through another carrier etc? Thanks for the help pretty new to this.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: United Gold

Do you mean booking with United miles on a non-United carrier, or do you mean using miles from another airline completely (eg delta)?

Generally you will spend the least miles by booking an award ticket on the airline you redeem from (in your case United)
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:48 pm

you will want to look for Partner award space since all saver award space has probably gone
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Try to go somewhere closer in Southeast asia. The tickets within southeast asia can be relatively cheap
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wraptor
I'm looking on United.com and they have a round trip from April 11th-22nd LAX-DPS for 80k+40ish taxes. Is there a better way to book award travel? Through another carrier etc? Thanks for the help pretty new to this.
That's a fine price for a roundtrip economy award LAX-DPS. If you tell us your routing, we can give you more feedback on the specifics. But in general that's as cheap as you're going to get that award. Note also that UA allows a free stopover on that award, so you can also stop in, say, HKG or BKK.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
If your booking with UA miles you should go for it.

We are traveling to DPS (from DEN via LAX-ICN-DPS) in May. We got business class with MP miles, but booked several months ago. We are stopping over in Tokyo on the return.

I see the econ seats you are talking about LAX-ICN-DPS. The first leg is on Asiana's new A380.

Get it while you can. Could be gone soon.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:32 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Asiana has the best availability at the moment for this route - up to 4 biz seats available (I've scooped up 3 on both flights). The other option is flying to Singapore which is well served by both One World and Star Alliance Reward flights then getting a paid ticket to DPS on KLM or other carrier.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by wraptor
One must book one's travel through the airline with whom one has miles regardless of the airline with which the award travel will actually be aboard.

Are your miles on UA? If so, book with them. Since UA doesn't serve DPS, you travel will be (at least partially) on a partner carrier - BR, CA, NZ, OS, QR, SQ, TG - regardless you will be booking with UA assuming that is who your miles are with.

And yes, 80,000 miles rt (economy saver) is the lowest rate - and, IMO, the only rate one should ever pay. Don't waste hard earned miles on non-saver seats nor premium seats. Miles not so wasted make for a good start to the free next trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.