Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*G benefits on a codeshare flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*G benefits on a codeshare flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:45 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
This is not always true (and I do not believe really ever true).
One rare example is Miles and More for Austrian Airlines, where earning is based on marketing airline, rather than operating airline.

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...l=en&cid=18001

Example: OS 7173 Vienna - Kiev, operated by Ukraine International Airlines (PS). You earn award miles according to your booking class (see mileage overview).

No miles are awarded for scheduled flights operated by OS which are booked under the flight number of a non-Star Alliance and non-Miles & More Partner.

Example: AF1557 Vienna-Paris, operated by Austrian Airlines
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:22 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
This is not always true (and I do not believe really ever true).

Earning is based wholly on the operating carrier in *A IME. During the RGN mistake fares I flew a VA-coded, SQ-operated flight which credited just fine to UA which has no partnership with VA.

The rules you've described do apply to OW earning but not *A IME.

IME, yes. Earning, too.
That is not my experience across several *A FFPs.

To be treated as *A flight for earning miles (and status miles) the flight needs to be both operated and marketed by a *A airline.

Whereas for Oneworld it is the marketing airline that determines mileage earning.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:34 am
Original Poster

So, clear as mud then.

My takeaways from this seem to be as follows:

- You are *A G with any airline
- You fly on *A metal
- You are ticketed by a non *A airline

Benefits: priority check in, priority baggage, lounge access and priority boarding.
In addition, depending the specific circumstances you MAY get miles.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by m.y
One rare example is Miles and More for Austrian Airlines, where earning is based on marketing airline, rather than operating airline.
I agree those exceptions are rare.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
That is not my experience across several *A FFPs.

To be treated as *A flight for earning miles (and status miles) the flight needs to be both operated and marketed by a *A airline.
Got any specific examples?
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Whereas for Oneworld it is the marketing airline that determines mileage earning.
OW also requires that the operating carrier be a member for credit to be earned. An AA-coded, EY-operated flight will not earn in the QF, BA or AB programs.

Originally Posted by Air Berlin TopBonus
Please note: Charter flights, award flights and flights with American Airlines (AA), American Eagle (MQ) or AmericanConnection (RP) flight number that are not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection or an oneworld airline partner as well as all booking classes that are not listed in the above table are not eligible for mileage accrual.
BA uses images to show such in the table at the bottom of https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...-avios/flights.

Originally Posted by Qantas
9.3.2 For the purposes of earning Points, Status Credits and the Minimum Points Guarantee, Eligible Flights exclude Codeshare Flights where the Operating Carrier is Qantas, a oneworld Alliance Airline or an Airline Partner aircraft, and where another airline's flight number is entered on the ticket, unless that flight has been specified by Qantas Loyalty as an Eligible Flight. It is the responsibility of the Member to check whether a proposed booking is eligible to earn Points, Status Credits or the Minimum Points Guarantee and if so how many Points or Status Credits will be earned.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TG Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Beano
Would this rule apply in this similar situation

Singapore Airline plane code share with Virgin

Airnz Elite purchased a Virgin ticket Cheaper and can hopefully be used as a eligible sector

Do you still get priority checkin and lounge access?
All visible *G benefits apply - priority checkin, luggage, lounge access. In fact, by the time you go to the check-in counter and present your passport/ID, the check-in agent may not even know you are ticketed on a code-share unless they go looking for it. At least that's the impression I got.

I did VA-coded, SQ operated SIN-LHR-SIN last year, got all *G benefits, and miles posted properly into TG ROP. I obviously couldn't select my seat in advance, so I called the SQ call center and they were happy to oblige and even give me the SQ PNR for that booking.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Follow up query. Need to go to Beijing from HK soon.

Air China operates codeshare with KA. I would prefer to fly on KA metal. If I book with Air China on an Air China flight number but fly on KA metal I presume I won't get any *A benefits (will I get miles though?)
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by theworld
Follow up query. Need to go to Beijing from HK soon.

Air China operates codeshare with KA. I would prefer to fly on KA metal. If I book with Air China on an Air China flight number but fly on KA metal I presume I won't get any *A benefits (will I get miles though?)
nope and nope on KA metal for almost all *A programs. you can book KA code and fly CA metal ...
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:15 pm

OW also requires that the operating carrier be a member for credit to be earned. An AA-coded, EY-operated flight will not earn in the QF, BA or AB programs.
OW can be more complex than that. On BA for example you can get miles and even tier points for OW marketed non-OW operated flights as long as they're partner airlines such as AS.

But in *A I've never seen any of these counter examples people are naming. In every case if the name on the side of the plane is a *A airline then you get benefits and miles based on the earning table for that airline regardless of what it says on your reservation. And *A is a lot more consistent about this than OW.

I'm extremely surprised by the OS case above, possibly they just ensure that the codeshares are all in a fare class that doesn't earn miles but even that's surprising. Normally the fare class correspoonds closely to operating carrier's fare class of a similar price. I bet even then you still get all the *A benefits even if your reservation is for an AF codeshare. That would be the worst case for AI as well.

Last edited by zkzkz; Jan 18, 2015 at 12:26 pm
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:30 pm

I have a UA Club Card and when I book a trans Tasman flight on NZ website the flight is sometimes operated by VA whilst having the NZ flight code

I do sometimes have problems getting into the Lounge but all of the time I have been able to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.