Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Relocating from London to Zurich - best strategy for status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Question Relocating from London to Zurich - best strategy for status?

Hi all,

I previously have been based in London flying Oneworld/BA. In the recent years I haven't flown BA enough to maintain my Silver status so right now I don't have status.

Before London I was based in Seattle/SF and have miles on United (or what was Continental) however I don't have status with them either.

I'm now moving to Zurich soon and there doesn't seem to be a OW presence there with Swiss being the dominant carrier. I will be flying from Zurich to Asia (Singapore/HK) via Swiss and to Seattle/SF via whatever is cheapest.

What is the easiest route to status - simply using my United membership for status when flying out of Zurich? or start up a Swiss mileage plan? Or Agean (though I have no plans to fly to Greece)? Or ?

Open to your suggestions - thank you in advance!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: Too many

Aegean used to be one of the quickest ways to status but if you're looking for the cheapest route and don't plan on flying much then I'd just be looking for the lowest price.
If you have miles with United why not purchase more when a bonus offer is on? Will save you $$$ in the long run.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp, SPG Gold, Le Club Plat
Whats your anticipated frequency to Asia and Seattle? Will you even fly enough to achieve any elite status?

Or are you just looking for program to bank all your miles?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HongKongVisitor
Whats your anticipated frequency to Asia and Seattle? Will you even fly enough to achieve any elite status?

Or are you just looking for program to bank all your miles?
HongKongVisitor thx for the response - I would say 1-2x per year. before I actually get to Zurich, I plan on going back to Seattle/SF and back to Zurich for a 2 wk visit.

Jinxy thx for the response - reason I'm not sure if I want to go the United route is because I won't be flying United most of the time (i expect most of my miles to be on Swiss) and they are hard to keep the status - it renews cycles I believe 1x year

Still unsure which award plan is the best way... or at least the FT way?!
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
HongKongVisitor thx for the response - I would say 1-2x per year. before I actually get to Zurich, I plan on going back to Seattle/SF and back to Zurich for a 2 wk visit.
That really does not sound like many miles. Is there more travel anticipated?

You need 100k per year to achieve meaningful status (SEN) on LH/LX.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by Kacee
That really does not sound like many miles. Is there more travel anticipated?

You need 100k per year to achieve meaningful status (SEN) on LH/LX.
Hi - about 1-2x per year from ZRH to SEA/SFO and probably 6-7x per year to Pune/HKG/SIN via business class

This should be enough for status correct?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hi - about 1-2x per year from ZRH to SEA/SFO and probably 6-7x per year to Pune/HKG/SIN via business class

This should be enough for status correct?
Yes, enough for SEN or 1K or PPS on SQ. What's your primary goal of frequent flyer membership?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, enough for SEN or 1K or PPS on SQ. What's your primary goal of frequent flyer membership?
Hi thanks for the response
primary goal is to get status so I can use airline lounges. I'd also like to have a mileage plan that has a multiplier for accuring miles when I reach status as well. Which one is the best?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp, SPG Gold, Le Club Plat
If you're already flying in business class, then why you need lounge from elite status?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
if you fly cheap business I'd wait for the new UA earning rules on LX and see if P still earns 150% ... UA might be an o.k. program depending on the fares you purchase and how they structure partner earnings post 3/1/15
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HongKongVisitor
If you're already flying in business class, then why you need lounge from elite status?
when I fly economy throughout europe... forgot to mention I'll be flying ZRH to LON frequently as well and these routes will be booked on economy.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†

Silver on LX gives you Lounge access in LHR and ZRH. You need 35k Miles or 30 Segments on LX/LH/OS. It is valid for 2 years.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Silver on LX gives you Lounge access in LHR and ZRH. You need 35k Miles or 30 Segments on LX/LH/OS. It is valid for 2 years.
Thanks - do you think LX is better than accruing miles on UA?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Thanks - do you think LX is better than accruing miles on UA?
which class of service?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
which class of service?
I would say half of the flights I'll take will be economy half business.

is there a grid, app, or website tool that helps make decisions like this - which airline alliance is best to start a relationship with?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.