Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Old Lufthansa First vs. United Global First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold

I'm traveling in a couple of weeks to Singapore via Frankfurt on UA First out of EWR. While nothing has opened up on LH out of the NYC area, PHL has first availability. I'm wondering if it is worth the switch. ANA (new first) is also now an option. I will be traveling with an infant and hence having an open seat would be great. I imagine that will be more likely on ANA or LH than UA. Additionally, if possible, I wouldn't want to "disturb" other PAX if I don't have to. UA has other F Pax while PHL is wide open and hence we may be the only passengers. ANA has 2 seats sold so far. Any thoughts on what makes the most sense based on hard product, service, etc.?

I've looked around for some comparisons but most of what I have found is Lufthansa business to united first or a straight LH business to UA business

Last edited by jclay1212; Dec 16, 2014 at 11:19 am Reason: update situation
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Myriad threads on this topic.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
While the LH F cabin stamp may show open at the moment, don't count on being the only passenger.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:00 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
If not filled with revenue paid J or F pax it will fill up with either upgrades or non rev.

Tis the season to fly full
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by jclay1212
I will be traveling with an infant and hence having an open seat would be great.
With an infant old LH F >> UA GF.

SunLover
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: LH FTL

To me LH wins in ANY aspect....
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by captainiglo
To me LH wins in ANY aspect....
Well that makes no sense at all.

The UA GF seat and AVOD are light years better than LH old F.

I agree with SunLover that LH old F is better for OP's specific circumstance.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the advice. Can anyone elaborate as to why LH wins with an infant?It sounds like that cabin might be full as well so I'm sure there are other reasons everyone is suggesting LH. TIA
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by jclay1212
Can anyone elaborate as to why LH wins with an infant?
With old LH F - having two separate passenger areas. One for you and one for the child.

When you travel with an infant you have to expect your fellow passengers to be disturbed to some degree. Even if you had an F suite situation like OZ or NH where you would have some visual privacy the noise/crying/smells would still be there.

These days I think you need to expect any flight and any cabin to be full. In F you are still light years ahead of being in Y. Not much you can do but tough it out and hope the child has a good flight and behaves reasonably well. Good luck I'm sure you will be fine.

SunLover
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SunLover
These days I think you need to expect any flight and any cabin to be full.
SunLover
Not on LH. I flown LH F as 1/8, 2/8 and 3/8. They frequently have below capacity F cabins - especially on routes like DTW, SEA, PHL. This is why they dropped F from DFW and made DEN F seasonal.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:30 am

Sorry Kacee - but old LH F with the seat plus the bed next to you is great......
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
Not on LH. I flown LH F as 1/8, 2/8 and 3/8. They frequently have below capacity F cabins - especially on routes like DTW, SEA, PHL. This is why they dropped F from DFW and made DEN F seasonal.
I flew LH F EWR-FRA last month and it was 4/8. I guess my point was with travel in the next couple of weeks (peak holiday time) you can't count on it being empty. I understand and appreciate the OP wanting to be a considerate traveler but I am not sure if F cabin capacity should be a huge consideration. Which is really worse:

4/8 on LH F- with the other 3 pax being paying high rev's
8/8 on UA GF - with the other 7 pax being up-graders and non-rev's

SunLover
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:18 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by captainiglo
Sorry Kacee - but old LH F with the seat plus the bed next to you is great......
The only remaining old LH F seats are on Airbuses which do not have the bed next to you. The only F cabins with the seat and bed configuration are on the 744 with retrofitted F.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:02 am

oops - I thought that the 744 bed-combo was referred to with old C
Sorry.....
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Any thoughts on which product/service make the most sense now that the new ANA first is an option as well? TIA
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Old LH F on an Airbus seems definitely a step down from UA Global F.

My last trip in UA Global F was a half empty cabin in a 777-200 -- admittedly, it was on Thanksgiving day. But the United First Suite is so roomy I'd feel plenty comfortable with an infant there. Bring one of those Moby type of baby sling things (that's what I used to do in domestic F so that I could feel comfortable sleeping once the baby was asleep).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.