Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Canada/USA - Delhi - Feb/Mar - business class (or even first class) -best options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada/USA - Delhi - Feb/Mar - business class (or even first class) -best options?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I live in Ottawa Canada, and we want to go to Delhi this coming Feb/Mar/early April (ie when Delhi is not too hot (nor too cold at night like Dec/earlier part of Jan)).

We want to fly business class on a Star Alliance carrier(s).

We do not have to leave YOW on the same ticket - I am willing to leave from any Canada or US city (customs and immigration entering Canada or USA is not a problem for us/we have nexus and Global Entry and often get TSA precheck, when we fly UA or AC).

We do not care if we fly transatlantic/transpolar routes - I am more than willing to fly transpacific route (ie I do not mind flying longer distances).

I would be willing to fly AC part of the distance, if necessary (obviously not the whole distance, as AC does not fly to DEL).

I am willing to fly to DEL directly, or via Mumbai (and then I can fly AI between Mumbai to DEL, if on the same ticket).

Cost is an issue - I can afford the P (or Z) class type prices that AC/LH/LX/OS offer on transatlantic routes, or perhaps ANA on a transpacific route (AC and ANA do fly between YVR and Tokyo, Haneda).

Obviously, if I get a discount that is sometimes offered from US cities to overseas destinations during Thanksgiving, Xmas/New Year, or summer - I would not mind those fares - as those F class discounted ares are equivalent to the Z/P class fares that I am discussing in the previou paragraph.

If I had my druthers, I would want to fly SQ from a gateway city - I would prefer that type of quality, but not necessarily that type of price.

I would prefer the P (or Z) class type prices that AC/LH/LX/OS offer on transatlantic routes, or perhaps ANA on a transpacific route (AC and ANA do fly between YVR and Tokyo, Haneda).

The main requirement is a totally horizontal flat bed, of the type that AC offers. Almost as essential is a private flat bed, as the private pods of AC offer. But ideally, I want to fly at least part of the route , on a non-AC flight.

Having nice lounge experience are also of interest - my favourite lounges (I have only accessed business class lounges) are the SQ one in Singapore, TG in Bangkok, OZ in Seoul, Air New Zealand at LAX or Sydney, TK in Istanbul. I have not really accessed lounges in Hong Kong or Haneda; the last time I was transiting through Narita was over 10 years ago.

Maximizing Aeroplan mileage earning ability is also a factor - P class fare on AC or UA earn 150% miles; most other Star Alliance carriers will get 125% Aeroplan miles for Z fares and 100% Aeroplan miles for P fares. Of note, one can fly on most TAP business class fares, and earn 200% Aeroplan miles.

Last edited by FlyerGoldII; Nov 9, 2014 at 10:48 am
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT

I don't know what exactly your price range is, but out of YYZ you have your choice of Star carriers for around $4,000 in business the whole way. Air Canada, Swiss, Lufthansa, Austrian, etc.

Also saw Saudi Arabian for $2600, but this isn't part of Star.

Shop around, try out google flights - lots of reasonable options (IMO) for the distance flown.

Good luck!
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by hagan73
I don't know what exactly your price range is, but out of YYZ you have your choice of Star carriers for around $4,000 in business the whole way. Air Canada, Swiss, Lufthansa, Austrian, etc.

Also saw Saudi Arabian for $2600, but this isn't part of Star.

Shop around, try out google flights - lots of reasonable options (IMO) for the distance flown.

Good luck!
My price range is somewhat higher than what you quote- more or less the same prices on those carriers from YOW as from YYZ - the other airlines would either codeshare or have joint ticket with AC for domestic flights (YOW-YYZ or YOW-YUL).

But what I am saying is that If I can get business class sales at costs lower than what you are quoting above - and why not? (but with same Aeroplan miles ) - even from USA, I am willing to use a US gateway.

I am not probably interested in a business class consolidator fare, unless I can be assured that I would get full Aeroplan mileage credit for those flights.

I am not that desperate for price that I would use Saudi Arabian or Aeroflot - quality counts, and flying Star Alliance counts. It is possible I can get a competitive price by flying other airline alliances (eg One World, Sky Team) or non alliance flights (eg EK, EY, VS) - perhaps with a better quality - but Aeroplan mileage credit is important to me.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT

I guess I don't really understand what you're asking for. You're willing to pay the prices for business class tickets, but you want something else?

If 4k to India is reasonable to you and you have your pick of half a dozen star carriers, what's the problem? You can find more around 3k to BOM on UA some times, but if 4k is reasonable on better airlines to your exact destination - go for it?

Unless ~12K for F is in your price range, why not go for the most direct, convenient and comfortable J option on one of many Star carriers.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by hagan73
I guess I don't really understand what you're asking for. You're willing to pay the prices for business class tickets, but you want something else?
A perfect synopsis!
OP: Call a travel agent.
What you're asking for here is what FT is not - a travel agency.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Before I go to a travel agent, the answers whether FT can provide me are whether there a sales during the year from USA (or Canada) to India anytime in the year (I am now more flexible with dates - preferably either Feb/Mar 2015 or Dec 2015/Jan 2016t I am willing to look at other times of the year, if the fares on a sales promotional period are good enough).

So the question is (including taxes) if and when I can get a business class fare on a 5 star Star Alliance airline for approx US$5000+?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.