Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

AVIANCA-Brazil joining Star Alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, LH Senator, UA Premier Executive, RG Diamante

Press in Brazil today announcing that AVIANCA-Brazil will join Star Alliance next June/2015
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Their joining was announced quite a while ago, the only part here that is surprising is how delayed they are. It was supposed to happen in 2014.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310:23768514
Their joining was announced quite a while ago, the only part here that is surprising is how delayed they are. It was supposed to happen in 2014.
Not surprising at all since O6 wants *A exclusivity, which it won't get. Negotiations had stalled, from what l understood. Maybe at least we'll know soon where things stand
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Not surprising at all since O6 wants *A exclusivity, which it won't get. Negotiations had stalled, from what l understood. Maybe at least we'll know soon where things stand
My understanding is O6 will merge their FFP into Lifemiles in Q2 next year and O6 will merge operations into AV in Q3 and become AV (operated by O6) which will be part of AV in *A.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm not surprised they were stalled/delayed, their website looks good but doesn't seem to work all that well, if you try to buy intl tickets through them it says it's pending Brazilian govt approval or something.

I would've thought this could be done smoother, but hey I don't know the inner workings of the purchase by Avianca.

That said, I managed to buy an O6 ticket just the other day, but I had to do it through an OTA because I don't have a Brazilian CPF. I'll say this, they're currently losing money, I'm sure the majority of their pax are Brazilians, but I couldn't find any O6 flights on Orbitz, ITA Matrix, or any other north American OTA. Had to use Despegar's sister site Decolar, which was a bit of a pain. Once they get into Avianca I really hope their fares manage to get out there. There was very little price difference between GOL, Azul, Tam, O6 between Sao Paulo and Rio, but I'm an Avianca fan so I wanted to fly with them but they didn't make it easy that's for sure.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
My understanding is O6 will merge their FFP into Lifemiles in Q2 next year and O6 will merge operations into AV in Q3 and become AV (operated by O6) which will be part of AV in *A.
that is good to know. wish it would have happened sooner...
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
That took long enough.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Today's the day. As of 22 July 2015 Avianca Brazil is a *A member.

http://thewaybrazilisback.com.br/en
http://blog.wandr.me/2015/07/avianca...star-alliance/

Some links are to my blog; now you know.

Last edited by sbm12; Jul 22, 2015 at 8:40 am Reason: added links
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Good News, there will be a connection on STAR from GRU to CWB.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:47 am

Good news. Made the front page of staralliance.com with a nice picture as well.

Time to study their FFP I guess: http://www.avianca.com.br/en/amigo
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lgts
Time to study their FFP I guess: http://www.avianca.com.br/en/amigo
I took a look this morning. Mostly unimpressive, with limited (or nil) earning on cheapest fares for most partners and maxing out at 150% credit for full-fare premium on partners. Award charts have a few decent options and some quirks but most awards are easier/cheaper elsewhere.

Maybe if there's a crazy good deal on buying points there could be an opportunity to play with this one, but at first glance I'm taking a pass.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:26 pm

Are they not going to be integrated into LifeMiles? I feel like I read that they weren't but I don't remember where.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I was looking to book GRU to CWB for Dec 25-Jan10 and Avianca has the most ridiculous fare of 1300 reals. Now TAM and GoL is offering the same route for about US100.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:15 pm

I flew them between CGH-SDU and GIG-GRU, prices were more expensive than the others, but very competitive, it was a couple bucks at most and I wanted those airports, those times and wanted to try AV Brasil.

I think the pricing is probably like most other airlines, sometimes it's a ridiculous fare, so you don't buy it, maybe next time they are the cheapest. Outside of LCCs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.