Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best Entry Airport to US for Star

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black

Flying from Europe to US on Star, which is the hub to arrive in the US with the best onward domestic connections wihtin the US?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Generally the United Airlines hubs at EWR/ORD/IAD/IAH. For some smaller US airport destinations:

The west cost might be SFO/LAX
The southeast might be a *A airline into ATL/CLT
The midwest might be a *A airline into MSP/DTW
The northwest might be a *A airline into DEN/SEA

SunLover

Last edited by SunLover; Oct 18, 2014 at 10:44 am
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Based on my experience, if you're going to go international --> domestic in the US, SFO and IAH are the best connection points, especially if you are global entry.

ORD, JFK require terminal changes by train
IAD is a mess, and can be fast or super slow, plus inter-terminal transfers are now a colossal hassle
EWR is reasonable under certain date / times, but frequently slow on the re-entry side.

If you are going the other way (US-->international), then:

IAH, ORD, IAD are best as they have low delays and consolidated departures.

-G
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Where are you trying to connect to?

In general, EWR is the worst and should be avoided if possible. Which is best of the other UA hubs (IAD, ORD, IAH, DEN, SFO, LAX) depends on where you are going.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by HKG1111
Flying from Europe to US on Star, which is the hub to arrive in the US with the best onward domestic connections wihtin the US?
My admittedly limited experience would say ORD. Better than EWR or IAD. The train from T5 to T1 or T2 adds very little time to the transfer.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 5:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I've done ORD, EWR, SFO and IAD with UA.
At ORD I had to take a train which took forever. At EWR it took forever to clear the immigration. At IAD its hit or miss. If you are not US citizen or GC holder it might take an hour to clear immigration. SFO was the easiest one, however I didn't have checked laguagge with me so customs was a breeze.
YUL and YYZ are also pretty easy to transfer to US.
I will never ever do JFK as my entry point to USA.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1k

A lot depends on the time if day and other arrivals. IAH is normally reasonable quick, unless you arrive at the same time as the LH A380. That day immigration took an hour.

Getting through immigration at IAD is normally pretty quick, but getting back through security can be a nightmare. Then, if your connection goes off the high D gate numbers, you have a 1km walk.

ORD is easy, if you have only carry on luggage. The one stop speeds things up. I have done "doors open" on an arrival to getting to B terminal gates in 30 minutes before now.

EWR. Don't go there.

SFO, relatively painless every time I've gone through there, and along with IAH, probably my favorite entry point.

LAX, can again be a pain because of the very small immigration hall. Two flighrs arriving similtaneously and you coukd be queuing out the door.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Where are you trying to connect to?
In general, EWR is the worst and should be avoided if possible. Which is best of the other UA hubs (IAD, ORD, IAH, DEN, SFO, LAX) depends on where you are going.
I would avoid DEN unless you enjoy a lot of uphill walking.
Also with only two GE kiosks, DEN effectively does not have Global Entry.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
Thanks for all your answers and insides. I have the global entry and therefore immigration time is not really a concern. The same with luggage as I hardly check-in any. The main points for me are connections to as much locations as possible (main on the east to middle part of the country) and delays.

Based on what I read EWR seems not an option. IAH might be a far west for my taste which leaves it to ORD and IAD. So far I had little problems into and out of ORD. I have little experience with IAD. Which of the two has more connections? The usuall arrival from Europe is around afternoon.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Based on what I read EWR seems not an option. IAH might be a far west for my taste which leaves it to ORD and IAD. So far I had little problems into and out of ORD. I have little experience with IAD. Which of the two has more connections? The usuall arrival from Europe is around afternoon.
Both ORD and IAD have a lot of connections but depends on where you actually want to go. Why don't you tell us your final destination or at least the state you want to visit and you'd probably get more useful advice.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Where are you flying to? YYZ is actually quite good for transferring intl - US.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
The main points for me are connections to as much locations as possible (main on the east to middle part of the country) and delays.
This interactive link might be useful in your planning: http://cgi.ua.flightlookup.com/route...ullscreen.html

SunLover
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Which of the two has more connections?
I have to wonder why it matters. An airport can have 1,000 connections, but if your ultimate destination isn't one of them, does that make it a good choice? The only connection that should matter is the one that gets you where you want to go.

Of course, you could be a non-planner like my brother. Assuming he could afford the walk-up fare, he wouldn't make the decision as to where to go until he was at the connecting airport, so the number of connections might be something useful in that situation.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
ORD has more flights than IAD. It's also a nicer airport. But you're more likely to have a delay there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.