Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

CRTW1 with one segment in Y: Fee to up to C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

I am planning a CRWT. On one segment, the Z fare is not available, so it is booking into Y. If Z becomes available, is a change fee required?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by zrs70
I am planning a CRWT. On one segment, the Z fare is not available, so it is booking into Y. If Z becomes available, is a change fee required?
What is the fare basis?

By CRWT, do you mean either CRWSPCL or CRWSTAR1/2/3?

If so, there shouldn't* be a change fee to upgrade Y-Z as long as you are not re-routing the ticket.

*I say shouldn't however, it depends on what agent you get on the day. I would escalate the call if the agent tries to charge you a fee.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
No, a fee would not be required if Z opens up. Is it a long haul or short haul segment?
If short haul, I would grin and bear it ( and hope Z opens up), but if it is a long haul
I would look for another routing.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
If there is still some time until your first departure date you can waitlist the segment in Z, that way it will clear automatically and you don't need to check back regularly.

I also agree that no change fee should apply if you decide to have it ticketed in Y and rebook into Z later after it opened up.

Have you checked if that segment has a codeshare flight number of other *A carriers? Some carriers still use D class for CRW tickets and depending on the routing it is possible that you can book your desired flight in D class as a codeshare while Z is already sold out. The online tool will not be able to show that to you so you need to check availabilty on KVS or Expertflyer.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:04 pm

My experience from many CRWSTARx in the past years is: As soon as the trip is ticketed the game (to obtain an upgrade later) is over:

If you get a segment ticketed in Y you wonīt get easily an upgrade to Z anymore. SQ didnīt offer me the upgrade in one case where seats became available in D class (at that time) and the ticket was issued by LH in Y and clearly showed the CRWSTAR2 tarif. You would need to reissue the ticket with the travel agent who sold the ticket and very likely you will have to pay the change fee.

I solved this issue later in another ticket by getting the trip ticketed using a D segment on another date/flight (where D was available) and putting the desired date onto the waitlist for D, while Y was immediately confirmed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.