Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Using UA Mileageplus miles on other airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards

Greetings All:

My wife and I have a significant number of UA Mileage Plus miles and we're looking to travel to China in just under a year. I'm doing my research now.

We were looking at the posability of using our UA miles on another airline, and if I understand the process correctly, they are redeemable on any Star Aliance Airline, correct?

Assuming the answer to the above question is correct, how would I go about searching for inventory / price? Do I go through UA's website or the partner's website?

Thanks in advanced!!! :-)
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awards using UA miles must do through the UA web site or phone with UA
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Yeah, you can use them on any Star Alliance carrier. Most obvious options for non-UA carriers are CA, NH, OZ, BR but there are still some nonconventional possibilities on TG or SQ to NRT and ICN then connect to CA, OZ, or NH there and I believe you can still route through Europe as well.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Awards using UA miles must do through the UA web site or phone with UA
How do I select these other airlines. I often see award tickets for "Partner Airlines," but is there a way to search by airline?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by phkc070408
How do I select these other airlines. I often see award tickets for "Partner Airlines," but is there a way to search by airline?
Don't think there is a way to search by a particular partner. However, you can research the routing you'd like and use the "Advanced Search" "Multiple Destinations" option to construct the routing on UA.bomb.

Worst-case scenario is you can book over the phone if .bomb isn't giving you the right flights or is pricing incorrectly.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hookthem
Worst-case scenario is you can book over the phone if .bomb isn't giving you the right flights or is pricing incorrectly.
Given that I won't have my Silver Status when we book, I don't think I'll be calling the regular call center on the phone. I'll probably jump on a train and head to Penn Station New York and spend some time with the agent there. Even if it takes a few hours longer, it will save me some sanity.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
We were looking at the posability of using our UA miles on another airline, and if I understand the process correctly, they are redeemable on any Star Aliance Airline, correct?

Assuming the answer to the above question is correct, how would I go about searching for inventory / price? Do I go through UA's website or the partner's website?
Are you planning to book in a premium cabin? You may be aware that, while economy bookings require the same number of miles regardless of which airline is used, *A carriers' premium cabins now carry a significant extra cost.

There is one cool loophole though: if the longest leg of the trip is in UA F or J, you can still include a very substantial F or J leg on a *A partner at no added cost. I'm traveling SGN>NRT>ORD>BOS in a few weeks on miles, and because the NRT>ORD leg is in UA GF, the six-hour SGN>NRT redeye in NH J didn't add to the cost.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Are you planning to book in a premium cabin? You may be aware that, while economy bookings require the same number of miles regardless of which airline is used, *A carriers' premium cabins now carry a significant extra cost.

There is one cool loophole though: if the longest leg of the trip is in UA F or J, you can still include a very substantial F or J leg on a *A partner at no added cost. I'm traveling SGN>NRT>ORD>BOS in a few weeks on miles, and because the NRT>ORD leg is in UA GF, the six-hour SGN>NRT redeye in NH J didn't add to the cost.
I am pretty sure that only a partner leg in J can be included under the circumstances you describe. From what I have seen, any partner segment in F kicks up the miles needed for the award trip.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am pretty sure that only a partner leg in J can be included under the circumstances you describe. From what I have seen, any partner segment in F kicks up the miles needed for the award trip.
Interesting. I tried to check your assertion just now, but it's devilishly hard to find an itinerary where that's an option. But my understanding of the new rules was that the longest leg is what triggered the pricing, end of story.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Actually, I am going to prove myself wrong.

I just checked ORD->BKK for travel on 8/29.

UA metal to HKG in GlobalFirst connecting to Thai metal to BKK in First Class prices out at 80,000 miles.

I didn't realize this...going to have to re-look at some options now.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Because *A carriers premium cabins are also a significant upgrade from what United calls a 'premium' experience
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Given that I won't have my Silver Status when we book, I don't think I'll be calling the regular call center on the phone. I'll probably jump on a train and head to Penn Station New York and spend some time with the agent there. Even if it takes a few hours longer, it will save me some sanity.
I'll let others comment; however, I was under the impression that the city ticketing offices did not have the ability to book award tickets. I think the only way to book award tickets is through the website or through the call center.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Actually, I am going to prove myself wrong.

I just checked ORD->BKK for travel on 8/29.

UA metal to HKG in GlobalFirst connecting to Thai metal to BKK in First Class prices out at 80,000 miles.
Cool! I wish there'd been an NH F option SGN>NRT, but the planes they use for that route don't appear to have F cabins.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K

Cool! I wish there'd been an NH F option SGN>NRT, but the planes they use for that route don't appear to have F cabins.
Correct, NH only had C intra-Asia and in most cases not a very good one at that. SQ and TG have some routes with F, not sure if CA does or not. OZ has the cabin on some but sells it as C.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k *G, AA Plat, Marriott Silver
Just did this 2 mo ago 2 pax..all in f on ca and oz. Be flexible w dates. Do it online.youll spend a lot more than u think for *a flight but worth it. Go f or c if possible get lieflat seats . Check seat guru before u book

Btw *a flights avoid fuel surcharge and f or c gets u lounge access

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.