Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Economy Award Ticket: ANA or Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle

What would you prefer going from HKG to ORD in economy: ANA (Boeing 767-300) or AC (Boeing 777-300ER)?

ANA goes through NRT, whereas AC goes through YYZ. Total flight time is about 18 hours on both. I already got ticketed for ANA a while back, but ideally wanted to get back a day or two earlier, which is now available on Air Canada.

I did already secure bulkhead seats for the NRT-ORD route, which is key for me because I am tall 6'3" so leg room is huge. However, couldn't get bulkhead on the HKG-NRT route. I noticed AC's standard seats tend to have 1" more legroom and be a couple inches wider (don't care as much about width) and they also offer preferred seats with additional legroom for a price (would be willing to pay up if it's reasonable; but looks like bulkhead for free like it is on ANA won't happen).

Thoughts on general comfort/food/AVOD systems/other things to consider? Also, if I do switch to AC, would a 1 hr, 42 min scheduled layover in YYZ be okay or would you suggest the 3 hr, 5 min layover option to be safe? I don't want to risk missing the flight to Chicago...so am thinking to go with the longer layover.

Thanks for any insight!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I know you didn't list this option, but why not direct on UA in E+?

That route is now operated by a 772 - much better in Y than the UA 744's
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
I know you didn't list this option, but why not direct on UA in E+?

That route is now operated by a 772 - much better in Y than the UA 744's
That would be the best option, but United NEVER offers the HKG-ORD direct route as a saver award, only standard. Don't want to pay twice as many miles...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The best option is the AC 777 (only from YYZ, NEVER from YVR!) and buy the bulkhead seats for the widest, most comfortable seat and the most legroom.

Second option would be UA E+ for the seat space, but not for the inflight product.

ANA will have the best inflight product, but the tightest, least comfortable seat.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Just the be clear, NRT - ORD on NH is on a 773 not a 763. It's only a 763 from HKG - NRT.

Haven't flown either in economy so can't comment but if you switch to AC take the longer layover. Connecting through Canada to the US can be a huge pain even with Global Entry (you'll be going through US customs and security in Canada) and you're better off giving yourself more time.

Why not consider HKG - EWR - ORD. If you give dates I'm sure a couple of us would take a look and see what other potential availability exists that may be more desirable
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I think if those are your only 2 choices I'd go NH probably. You have *G status and if the flights are full in economy then *G tend to get upgraded a lot on NH. They have a relatively small regular economy cabin then a premium economy cabin, then a rather large business cabin on the long haul planes, good recipe for upgrades.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by bluedog423
I noticed AC's standard seats tend to have 1" more legroom and be a couple inches wider (don't care as much about width) !
Where did you see AC has 35" of legroom in Y ?

Originally Posted by bocastephen

ANA will have the best inflight product, but the tightest, least comfortable seat.
I don't know why you are kept saying the same thing over and over about NH, despite you had never flown NH's IOJ 77W or IOJ 763 in Y !

It is 34" for good's sake ! Even the IOJ 763 for NH 912 is just as good.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Aug 26, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Where did you see AC has 35" of legroom in Y ? .
I was basing it off seatguru, which indicates a seat pitch of 31", but certainly that could be wrong. ANA's own website says 34" and 31" on the same page! So, I was suggesting AC had 32" legroom.

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_co...767_300er_new/

If it's actually 34"pitch for all economy seats in ANA, that certainly is nice. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by bluedog423; Aug 26, 2014 at 9:42 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluedog423
I was basing it off seatguru, which indicates a seat pitch of 31", but certainly that could be wrong. ANA's own website says 34" and 31" on the same page! So, I was suggesting AC had 32" legroom.

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_co...767_300er_new/

If it's actually 34"pitch for all economy seats in ANA, that certainly is nice. Thanks for the info.
Actually seatguru's NH 77W v1 and v2 both said 34", only v3 said 31", which is correct as v1 and v2 are IOJ 2-4-3 config. v3 is non-IOJ in 3-3-3 config.

You will most likely get v1 or v2 for NH1011, just a small chance it is v3, as v3 is in the process of being phrased out and converting into v4 with 3-4-3 in Y.

If you look carefully on NH's page, it mentioned the seat picture shown are 77W which is 34", at the bottom it mention 763 and 31" of legroom, which is true, however with the IOJ fixed back Y seat on the 763, I actually felt it is 32" instead, as the new seat has more than an inch more for the seat width compare to the old seat. NH 911/912 are usually flown by the IOJ 763.

AC however I believe is using the high density 77W that is 3-4-3 in Y for HKG routes.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Aug 26, 2014 at 10:35 pm
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Where did you see AC has 35" of legroom in Y ? :confused

I don't know why you are kept saying the same thing over and over about NH, despite you had never flown NH's IOJ 77W or IOJ 763 in Y !

It is 34" for good's sake ! Even the IOJ 763 for NH 912 is just as good.
The ANA seat is significantly narrower than the over-18" wide AC seat with similar legroom, thus far more personal space.

The high density 777 only flies YVR HKG not YYZ HKG as i noted in post.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The ANA seat is significantly narrower than the over-18" wide AC seat with similar legroom, thus far more personal space.
Which NH 77W config had you flown ? Which route and how long ago ? I don't even think AC 77W has similar legroom ! 34" ? come on.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:53 am

Which NH 77W config had you flown ? Which route and how long ago ? I don't even think AC 77W has similar legroom ! 34" ? come on.
You're not reading my post correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.