Wiki Posts
Search

JFK *A Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
JFK *A Lounges

When I flew JFK-SFO yesterday, I decided to try out the Swiss lounge in T4. My UA boarding pass seemed to have no difficulty crossing security, but the lounge agent at the Swiss lounge scanned my boarding pass, then said I was okay, asked if I was going to Singapore, to which I responded no. Then she quickly asked where I was going, and upon hearing San Francisco, refused me entry. I thought this was an SFO only thing, is this now USA-wide that partner lounges can only be accessed by int'l passengers?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
JFK *A Lounges

Neither United elite status nor United Club membership allow entry into partner lounges on domestic flights. (And they havent for as long as I can recall)
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:43 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Neither United elite status nor United Club membership allow entry into partner lounges on domestic flights. (And they havent for as long as I can recall)
That's not completely true as I (and many other United fliers) have always been allowed into the LH lounge at IAD by simply showing my United 1k card and onward domestic United boarding pass

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/935900-consolidated-access-lufthansa-lounge-iad-thread-merged-3.html
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not correct. It's only UA and US lounges that are technically allowed to bar *G access on domestic flights, and then only to UA and US frequent flyers. So, for example, an A3 *G can access a UC on a domestic flight, and a UA *G can access the LH lounges on a domestic flight.

Not unheard of though. SQ lounge in SFO won't allow access on domestic itineraries. Sounds like LX is following their lead.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:54 pm

Sorry confused different rules.

UA and US aren't just "allowed" to limit access though. UA explicitly states that "United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold members may access any United Club or US Airways Club only when holding a boarding pass for a same-day international Star Alliance member flight."

The Star Alliance Lounge finder (though hardly perfect) does suggest that there is no access to the Swiss Club, but there is for the LH club.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sorry confused different rules.

UA and US aren't just "allowed" to limit access though. UA explicitly states that "United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold members may access any United Club or US Airways Club only when holding a boarding pass for a same-day international Star Alliance member flight."

The Star Alliance Lounge finder (though hardly perfect) does suggest that there is no access to the Swiss Club, but there is for the LH club.
Sorry, but my wording was 100% correct. The normal *A rules require that *Gs be permitted lounge access if they are departing on a *A flight. *A "allows" UA and US to except themselves from this rule by barring UA and US frequent flyers from accessing their lounges on purely domestic itineraries.

And yes, I agree you are confused.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:12 pm

JFK *A Lounges

thanks for the condescension! Have a great night. xoxo
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Just to report:
I wrote them a letter shortly after about this, and they apologized and said they should have let me in. They let me in last week when I flew through JFK on domestic UA.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Why did you want to visit the LX lounge? When I read the TR about my upcoming OZ JFK-ICN flight where I'll be in the LX lounge they say it's nothing to spend an extended amount of time in.

According to the *A site lounge finder you would have access to LH but not LX.

Funny about Singapore...when I was in SYD I was flying UA GF to SFO and was easily let into the newly refurb'd SQ F lounge. The main attendant who was walking around schmoozing people thought I was flying to SIN and was talking about the flight and a little delay or something...I just went ahead and went along with it.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Why did you want to visit the LX lounge? When I read the TR about my upcoming OZ JFK-ICN flight where I'll be in the LX lounge they say it's nothing to spend an extended amount of time in.
I agree with that analysis.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
According to the *A site lounge finder you would have access to LH but not LX.
There are so many things busted with that.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
There are so many things busted with that.
Yes last year when I was flying SDQ-EWR it wasn't showing me the Copa Club. Then I got to the airport and saw the *G sign on the door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.