Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Leaving AC AP, should I go to UA MP or LH M&M?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving AC AP, should I go to UA MP or LH M&M?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:19 am
Formerly known as tireman77

I believe all FF programmes are going in the same direction. Its just a question of which one will constrain their accumulation/benefits first and how fast will everyone else react. Changing programmes without a change in flying habits is probably akin to jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A G, United MP Premier 1K
Yeah, I think you're right, @tireman77! My case was a bit different in that I was going out of my way to stay with AC and flying long-hauls via Toronto whenever possible despite living in the US now. (I didn't mind scheduling time to catch up with friends and family during layovers at YYZ.) I was also choosing AC for all my trips home (over United and Porter).

Anyway, I did make the switch to United MP. I miss AC service but have so far had a better experience with UA in terms of using points for upgrades. I've also enjoyed flying to Europe directly without giving it a second thought. Still not sure what I'll do next year.

In most cases, it does amount to the same thing, more of less.

Last edited by Juju2014; Aug 24, 2014 at 8:21 am
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Juju2014
Yeah, I think you're right, @tireman77! My case was a bit different in that I was going out of my way to stay with AC and flying long-hauls via Toronto whenever possible despite living in the US now. (I didn't mind scheduling time to catch up with friends and family during layovers at YYZ.) I was also choosing AC for all my trips home (over United and Porter).

Anyway, I did make the switch to United MP. I miss AC service but have so far had a better experience with UA in terms of using points for upgrades. I've also enjoyed flying to Europe directly without giving it a second thought. Still not sure what I'll do next year.

In most cases, it does amount to the same thing, more of less.
Thanks for the follow up.

I was wondering if you could give me your impressions of UA TATL versus AC. Could you also specify if you're flying In Y, J (or even F)?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Sure, happy to share my TATL impressions!

UA Y: This year, I flew IAD-LHR and back twice and managed to get entire middle rows for myself on three of the four flights (I was flying during shoulder season). Two of the flights were overnight, and I slept like a baby.

The entertainment systems on UA are just now catching up to the AC standard, which is still by far the easiest to navigate of any I've experienced. I miss the French and Quebecois movies on AC. United international offering is ok but not as close to my taste. United used to have Channel 9, where you could listen to ATC at the discretion of the pilot, but they've phased it out, which is too bad!

The food in UA economy is edible but worse than AC, especially when it comes to snacks (e.g. where AC will give you a hot wrap before landing, United will give you a stale, sugary muffin packed together with a snickers bar). The wine selection is about the same. Coffee is miles better on AC (Second Cup, I think)!

The service on UA in economy is fine, nothing extraordinary. Some of the attendants are great, but not all. My experience with AC has been better: even a moody AC attendant tends to come across as a nice person. This is totally subjective, of course, it might be that I just identify with the Canuck mentality.

UA J: I've flown to FRA and TLV and back. UA in J is quite good as the aircraft seem to have been upgraded to the newer flat bed seats. Some of the seats face the back, which doesn't bother me, but in the last row you end up sitting very close to the economy cabin and facing their first row, which is a bit awkward! Another downside is that you always have a seat mate, but there is no privacy screen like on BA. In this respect, I miss the AC private pods in J and wonder why more airlines didn't choose that layout. Quality of food and drink in UA and AC J seems comparable, except for the aforementioned coffee, which is much better on AC and worth its weight in gold to me before landing after an overnight flight!

No experience with F on either airline...

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Juju2014
Sure, happy to share my TATL impressions!

UA Y: This year, I flew IAD-LHR and back twice and managed to get entire middle rows for myself on three of the four flights (I was flying during shoulder season). Two of the flights were overnight, and I slept like a baby.

The entertainment systems on UA are just now catching up to the AC standard, which is still by far the easiest to navigate of any I've experienced. I miss the French and Quebecois movies on AC. United international offering is ok but not as close to my taste. United used to have Channel 9, where you could listen to ATC at the discretion of the pilot, but they've phased it out, which is too bad!

The food in UA economy is edible but worse than AC, especially when it comes to snacks (e.g. where AC will give you a hot wrap before landing, United will give you a stale, sugary muffin packed together with a snickers bar). The wine selection is about the same. Coffee is miles better on AC (Second Cup, I think)!

The service on UA in economy is fine, nothing extraordinary. Some of the attendants are great, but not all. My experience with AC has been better: even a moody AC attendant tends to come across as a nice person. This is totally subjective, of course, it might be that I just identify with the Canuck mentality.

UA J: I've flown to FRA and TLV and back. UA in J is quite good as the aircraft seem to have been upgraded to the newer flat bed seats. Some of the seats face the back, which doesn't bother me, but in the last row you end up sitting very close to the economy cabin and facing their first row, which is a bit awkward! Another downside is that you always have a seat mate, but there is no privacy screen like on BA. In this respect, I miss the AC private pods in J and wonder why more airlines didn't choose that layout. Quality of food and drink in UA and AC J seems comparable, except for the aforementioned coffee, which is much better on AC and worth its weight in gold to me before landing after an overnight flight!

No experience with F on either airline...

Hope that helps!
Excellent. Thanks. Seems on par with what I've experienced, although I've had many long flights on 'domestic' 777s to Guam with no IFE.

I can't drink the coffee on AC, so I'll avoid it on UA too. Love to hear the 787s (and I hope the next gen 777s) will have Lavazza espresso. THAT is the way to live!

All (or mostly all) aisle access in J is now a must for me when I can.

I still see AC/AP as the best programme for me but I'm keeping an eye on alternatives at all times.

Regards!!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:26 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by viola628
In my view, AC and Aeroplan are doing the same thing. And now that you only get 50% miles on many United flights, it's getting extremely difficult to accumulate enough status miles with Aeroplan this year without completely breaking the bank on Flex fares and higher fare class United tickets.
One World is still offering 100% mileage on most their Frequent Flyer Programs. Since the game has changed, it's almost easier to get better value with them.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tireman77
Love to hear the 787s (and I hope the next gen 777s) will have Lavazza espresso. THAT is the way to live!
Hear, hear!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.