Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-HKG-ORD-YOW in J

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
BKK-HKG-ORD-YOW in J

I'm in Thailand right now and leaving early Sunday morning. I have a few questions and searches aren't finding answers so I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of them. I'm on an aeroplan J itinerary (booked during the promo).

- my flight leaves BKK at 8am on TG. What time does the lounge open? I'm thinking getting there at 6:30 should be good - thoughts?

- I have 23 hours in HK and it's my first layover where I'm leaving the airport. I assume my bag will be checked through and I wont have to pick it up. Correct?

- what's the best lounge in HKG? I'm flying out on UA but also have the Amex Plat (non-aeroplan). Related....what to you guys do about shaving on a layover like this? I've never seen a razor in a lounge so do I need to buy one to use once in HK or is there another option? Stupid question......I know!

- on Monday I'm on UA896 to ORD but then have about a 6 hour layover before my flight to YOW on UA6002. If I remeber correctly (haven't checked recently) there's an earlier UA flight. Can I same day standby for it? Is there a charge?

I appreciate if anyone can answer. I searched a bit but I'm on vacation and don't want to spend all day looking! TIA
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
I'm in Thailand right now and leaving early Sunday morning. I have a few questions and searches aren't finding answers so I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of them. I'm on an aeroplan J itinerary (booked during the promo).

- my flight leaves BKK at 8am on TG. What time does the lounge open? I'm thinking getting there at 6:30 should be good - thoughts?
From the TG-website the lounge opens at 5AM --- Don’t forget that when flying out on TG in J you can get a 30minute neck and shoulder or 30minute foot massage in the SPA. The SPA only opens at 6AM. You might want to get to the airport a little earlier and take advantage of that. I am not sure how busy they are first thing in the morning. This is a major perk flying TG out of BKK.

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
I've never seen a razor in a lounge so do I need to buy one to use once in HK or is there another option? Stupid question......I know!
In the lounge just ask for a shave kit. It will have a razor and shave cream. I haven’t been to HKG in a while but I am sure they would have one. Most lounges Asian lounges with shower facilities have them and I can’t really see HKG being any different.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I'll try to answer these as much as I can.

1. I'm not sure of the exact time they open, but they will be open if you get there at 06:30. Make sure to get to BKK a little earlier than you might at some other airports so you can navigate the escalator maze.

2. I'm not sure they'll be able to check you in more than 24 hours before your flight for the HKG-ORD segment but your bags will be checked through if you're checked in for the flight. I never check in all the way through for those kind of long layovers so I can't speak from experience.

3. Ask 3 *A regulars out of HKG, get 3 different answers. The UA, TG and SQ lounges all have their merits. The SQ lounge undoubtedly has the best food selection, but they have no shower or toilet. The space itself does not have the open feeling of the UA and TG lounges and is located very far from the UA/TG gates. The TG lounge has some unique food offerings (like Thai curry) and a few massage chairs you can use. The UA lounge has largely similar food as the TG lounge and has a full food/self-serve drinks selection, unlike other UCs. There are showers in both the TG and UA lounges but the UC has the best ones, imo. My personal favourite is the UC partly because I feel at home there but others will disagree. The UA and TG lounges are both quite near the UA gates.
(regarding the razor... why don't you ask the hotel in BKK to give you an extra disposable razor and shaving cream and pack it when you go to HKG?)

4. Ask when you get to the UC at ORD. On an award ticket, particularly in C (remember UA gives those seats away for free to elites) I wouldn't count on it but stranger things have happened.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by Santander
I'll try to answer these as much as I can.

1. I'm not sure of the exact time they open, but they will be open if you get there at 06:30. Make sure to get to BKK a little earlier than you might at some other airports so you can navigate the escalator maze.

2. I'm not sure they'll be able to check you in more than 24 hours before your flight for the HKG-ORD segment but your bags will be checked through if you're checked in for the flight. I never check in all the way through for those kind of long layovers so I can't speak from experience.

3. Ask 3 *A regulars out of HKG, get 3 different answers. The UA, TG and SQ lounges all have their merits. The SQ lounge undoubtedly has the best food selection, but they have no shower or toilet. The space itself does not have the open feeling of the UA and TG lounges and is located very far from the UA/TG gates. The TG lounge has some unique food offerings (like Thai curry) and a few massage chairs you can use. The UA lounge has largely similar food as the TG lounge and has a full food/self-serve drinks selection, unlike other UCs. There are showers in both the TG and UA lounges but the UC has the best ones, imo. My personal favourite is the UC partly because I feel at home there but others will disagree. The UA and TG lounges are both quite near the UA gates.
(regarding the razor... why don't you ask the hotel in BKK to give you an extra disposable razor and shaving cream and pack it when you go to HKG?)

4. Ask when you get to the UC at ORD. On an award ticket, particularly in C (remember UA gives those seats away for free to elites) I wouldn't count on it but stranger things have happened.
When was the last time you were in the SQ HKG lounge?

I was there in December, and I thought I remember there being a toilet. Don't know about a shower however, but it was certainly an improvement from when I was there in 2006.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:05 pm

I was in the SQ lounge in April. The washroom is outside the lounge to the left.
Lots of Haagen Dazs! And that's what makes the SQ lounge the best.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by shore9

I was there in December, and I thought I remember there being a toilet. Don't know about a shower however, but it was certainly an improvement from when I was there in 2006.
I go to the SQ lounge occasionally and I'm quite certain there is no toilet.

http://www.staralliance.com/loungeFi...paidClassCode=
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by shore9

The toilets and showers were removed when SQ moved its SKL at HKG to its present location a year or two ago.

There is definitely no on-site toilet at the current SQ SKL at HKG. I was there just a little over a month ago.

Couldn't understand the rationale why SQ would eliminate the on-site toilets and showers but it seems to be the new standard for SQ lounges. There's also no on-site toilet at the SQ lounge at BKK.

The CI lounge at HKG also has no on-site toilet.

Beware that the SQ lounge is quite far from the usual UA gates.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jul 5, 2012 at 7:53 am
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
I think Santander has summed it up, although I would say the TG food is significantly better these days, with a fairly wide selection of Thai foods.

In ORD it's definitely worth asking about standing by. The official rules are different depending on you booking class, but my experience has been that if there's space they'll put you on ah earlier flight regardless.

Enjoy your day in HK.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:07 am

Also beware that you will be subject to a second security screening at the gate before you board your UA flight. Allow extra time. No liquid even if purchased airside.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I've been to TG, UA and Plaza Premium lounges in HKG. UA has the most space, typical of North American lounges. TG has closer seatings, and PPL the least amount of personal space. Food quality/selection also better at TG.

Last edited by beep88; Jul 5, 2012 at 1:40 pm
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I'm in HKG every 3 weeks this year so far.

RCC feels the best IMO as it is very large and spacious. TG feels smaller and a little thrown together and can get crowded.

As far as food, TG has some Asian food selections where the RCC has more North American style selections.

Shower facilities in both RCC and TG lounges are similar but RCC seems to be less busy (maybe there are more?).

Finally, IMO there is no reason to use the SQ lounge unless flying SQ. It is only near the SQ gate and very far from TG/UA/AC gates.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Dorian
Finally, IMO there is no reason to use the SQ lounge unless flying SQ. It is only near the SQ gate and very far from TG/UA/AC gates.
I go there to eat sometimes before I take the people mover down to the UA gates.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Just don't go to the CNAC VIP Lounge. It is CRAP.

When I was in HKG to ICN on OZ J, I was given an invitation card for "VIP" lounge. Once I was there, after making a local phone call, I went back to the SQ lounge downstair. It is a waste of time to even look for it....
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Just don't go to the CNAC VIP Lounge. It is CRAP.
What more would you expect from a CNAC lounge?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Follow up:

I'm sitting in the lounge at ORD now. I got to BKK early, but my flight was delayed 1 1/2 hours so I had tons of time. I did take advantage of the 30 min massage. The agent didn't want to check my bag through at first, she told me to ask them in HKG. I new that wouldn't work so i pushed a bit saying it was 23 hours and a legal connection. She finally did tag it all the way.

The UA lounge at HKG was good, and they did have a shave kit!

I got lucky here at ORD as I was talking to an agent at the luggage carousel and then saw her again at the service counter. She put me on the earlier flight to YOW. I had told her how my bag was delayed 3 days on the outbound......so I think after that she decided to give me a break.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.