Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Air China - the air is full of smoke

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4MM

i took air china 939, beijing to rome, on the 13th. i paid business class. the whole way, the crew smoked somewhere up front. i left the flight with enough head congestion and a headache to last the night.

i will not be flying air china again. if you do not like cigarette smoke, i recommend you not fly them.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by randyqx
i took air china 939, beijing to rome, on the 13th. i paid business class. the whole way, the crew smoked somewhere up front. i left the flight with enough head congestion and a headache to last the night.

i will not be flying air china again. if you do not like cigarette smoke, i recommend you not fly them.
It's common on a number of carriers for crew to smoke in the cockpit. Several European carriers do this too.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife

Yikes - I can think of many other reasons not to fly them either, but that one definitely takes the win.

Perhaps it's good that they smoke though, it might cover up that nasty stench of them preparing the foul Y meals (don't ever fly AirChina with hangovers!).
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:39 pm

the whole way, the crew smoked somewhere up front. i left the flight with enough head congestion and a headache to last the night.
from remote second hand smoking?
if that really is the case, maybe you have a much more serious health condition
problem and should not fly at all.....
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sunseeker
Business Class is pretty close to the front (hardly remote), and if they're smoking heavily, it will easily permeate the entire cabin.

The OP has certainly convinced me to avoid CA and all European carriers referred to by Traveloguy.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:44 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I guess the no smoking regulation is for US-based carriers only?! What about pax on CA? Are they allowed to light it up in the lavs?

LAX
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LAX
I guess the no smoking regulation is for US-based carriers only?!
Many non-U.S. airlines are also non-smoking.

Originally Posted by LAX
What about pax on CA? Are they allowed to light it up in the lavs?
As far as I've been able to find, CA is supposed to be a non-smoking airline. A lot of information on the web is out of date, but the airline descriptions on the ANA web site seem to be pretty current.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:21 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Many non-U.S. airlines are also non-smoking.

As far as I've been able to find, CA is supposed to be a non-smoking airline. A lot of information on the web is out of date, but the airline descriptions on the ANA web site seem to be pretty current.
If so, I don't think there should be double-standards. No smoking for pax while the crew can puff away. Perhaps I would stay away from CA if that's indeed the case.

LAX
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
If so, I don't think there should be double-standards. No smoking for pax while the crew can puff away. Perhaps I would stay away from CA if that's indeed the case.

LAX
The crew can do whatever they want in regards to smoking on Chinese airlines. I've been on many planes in china where you get that smoky smell soon after takeoff and it lasts for the whole flight. Smoking is a passion in China so you just have to suck it up and deal with it when flying on Chinese airlines.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
If so, I don't think there should be double-standards.
My preliminary research has shown that even in the U.S., there used to be one. It was apparently determined that safety could be compromised if an addicted pilot was going through nicotine withdrawal, so it was allowed for a time.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by sunseeker
did i say remote? strange, i did not think i had i was in the second row, probably 5m or less from the flight deck. but i suspect the smoking room was actually this small crew-only space right across from the lav, in the cabin crew's area.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:20 pm

Programs: SK EBG |CSA OK+ Gold | SPG Gold | CO, BD, QR, AF lowlife
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Several European carriers do this too.
Which carriers would that be?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Smoking is a passion in China so you just have to suck it up and deal with it ....

Like when indoors and people are lighting up right under the no smoking sign?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SirRagnar
Yikes - I can think of many other reasons not to fly them either, but that one definitely takes the win.

Perhaps it's good that they smoke though, it might cover up that nasty stench of them preparing the foul Y meals (don't ever fly AirChina with hangovers!).
Contrary to you, the meals on CA for me have been basic to very good. On the other hand, it may be a matter of culture rather than taste because most of their meals are Chinese-style. Certainly not foul.

I recall a thread about Spanair pilots smoking.

OP, are you sure that the 'cigarette smoke' you smelt was not the body odour of other [Chinese] pax? A big proportion of mainland Chinese people are addicted to their cigarettes. I've been on many flights in the past few years since CA joined *A and I've never smelt strong cigarette smoke although there is a stench of weak cigarette smoke because of body odour.

Anyway, if anyone has any feedback to CA, please do so at:
starquest (at) airchina.com
customer_relations (at) airchina.com
Old Nov 16, 2010, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
TP for one. I think even LH still allow their crew to do so too, but that may have changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.