Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jtet
A number of threads have been started with members asking for guidance on which mileage programme they should join. In order to help users I have started this thread to allow people to post their requests for information here and to allow people to offer assistance.

For members asking for information please help people to assist you, can you provide:

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Silver, M&M Senator etc)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc)
(7) Preferred Airlines
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)

GENERAL INFORMATION:

If you fly less than 50k miles per year: it is almost guaranteed that your choice will be between Aegean Airlines, Turkish Airlines, and Asiana Airlines. Please look up these airlines' frequent flier programs, and make a decision as to which best suits your needs.

Some considerations to take into account:

Airlines tend to treat members of their own frequent flier program better than members of other frequent flier programs. If you fly one of these airlines, it is recommended that you choose that airline.

Some airlines have better earning/redemption charts for your pattern. For example, if you fly on cheap fares on a certain airline often, Turkish might give you miles for it, while Aegean might not. However, Turkish Airlines might charge much more for the redemption that you want to make than Aegean.

Asiana Airlines offers lifetime Star Alliance Gold for 500k miles over life. The other 2 airlines do not offer this benefit.

Asiana Airlines has a credit card in the USA and some other countries. If you are interested in credit cards, check to make sure that the program that you join has a credit card in your country.
If you still aren't sure which frequent flyer program is for you after looking these up, feel free to ask on this thread.
Print Wikipost

Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
(1) Home airport : BRU
(2) Fares : (Deep) Discount Economy
(3) # Miles : +/- 25K
(5) Important : Collecting miles for redemptions/upgrades secondly I would prefer to find an airline where I could achieve *alliance gold.
(6) Routes : 1 longhaul (4 segments) and 1 or 2 European (usually direct) flights
(7) Preferred Airlines : Flying out of Brussels we would probably fly mostly Brussels and other airlines of the Lufthansa group for the European trips but longhaul might be any other airline.

------------------------
I have been looking at the 3 proposed programs (Turkish, Aegean, Asiana). At first I think Aegean would be the best choice but I need to dig a bit further in the program details.

Who else is flying out of Brussels? Is Aegean OK to collect miles if you typically fly cheap routes?
If you're flying mainly deep discount economy with the LH group (LH, LX, Brussels, etc.) then it's going to be difficult to achieve anything with either of those 3 programs. All of them credit 0% for cheap fares. If you're however willing to look at other carriers, for example United and Scandinavian, you can receive at least 50% mileage on all flights. The LH group is just brutal honestly. They destroyed their own M&M program, and are now dumping on everyone else too.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
Asking for someone else so don't pay attention to my own info

1) Home Airport: CDG/Paris
2) Fares: Business and deep-discount economy, mostly business
3) # Miles: +/- 40k
4) Current Status: AM Platinum (Skyteam Elite Plus), soon to be FB Platinum
5) Most important: Mile collection + award redemptions (award tickets likely in economy, although business possible). Could also be plus points to having good CC partners to transfer in any missing miles.
6) Business: Europe to India/SE Asia. Economy: Wherever we feel like going on vacation, so unknown
7) Preferred airline: None preferred, but usually the business trips are with Singapore Airlines if they aren't done with Skyteam
8) Work or pleasure: Both, and for both there is usually flexibility in the airline chosen.

I wanted to fill in the full list to adhere to the standard, but also here is a good profile of the travel taken:
1-2 business RT/year with *A to India/SE Asia from Europe (not always Paris)
1-2 economy RT/year with *A inside Europe
0.5 economy RT/year with *A long-haul to somewhere

And the idea is just to get miles and use them, don't care as much about baggage/status/whatever.
Old May 3, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: M&M FT, A3
Hello,
Asking for some advice about the best FFP *A, regarding the following infos and a long trip in Asia at the end of this year :
(1) What is your home airport? BRU
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? deep discount economy on LH Group, P on LH Group, M
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25-30k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? M&M FT (Silver)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? priority services, lounge access worldwide
(6) Which routes do you fly most often European
(7) Preferred Airlines SN, LX
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? pleasure

I'll also do a trip in Asia at the end of this year and ready to change my FFP to get *A easier than with M&M (impossible for me to get 100k miles in one year) :
- SK BRU-ARN-BRU A class
-SQ ARN-DME-SIN-BKK-SIN-DME-ARN D class
-TK BKK-HKG P class
TK HKG-BKK J class

I was thinking about Aegean and Turkish, but not sure.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
Egypt Air family pooling

Sorry if this question is covered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it by searching.

I have learned from reading the FT forums that Egypt air allows not only pooling of redeemable miles between family members, but also allows the main account holder to achieve status based upon flights taken by relatives. Since I often travel with 2 children, if I credit all of our family's *A flights to an Egypt Air account, I could achieve *A status pretty easily. My question is, since I never fly on Egypt Air itself, would this status be of much use on the *A airlines that I actually fly, UA and LH? I have lots of UA RDMs from credit cards. Would having *A gold from Egypt Air help me in using these miles for upgrades, or would I still be at the end of the line because I don't have status on UA itself? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: M&M FT, A3
Best *A FFP

Originally Posted by djsneak
Hello,
Asking for some advice about the best FFP *A, regarding the following infos and a long trip in Asia at the end of this year :
(1) What is your home airport? BRU
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? deep discount economy on LH Group, P on LH Group, M
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 25-30k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? M&M FT (Silver)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? priority services, lounge access worldwide
(6) Which routes do you fly most often European
(7) Preferred Airlines SN, LX
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? pleasure

I'll also do a trip in Asia at the end of this year and ready to change my FFP to get *A easier than with M&M (impossible for me to get 100k miles in one year) :
- SK BRU-ARN-BRU A class
-SQ ARN-DME-SIN-BKK-SIN-DME-ARN D class
-TK BKK-HKG P class
TK HKG-BKK J class

I was thinking about Aegean and Turkish, but not sure.
Any advice about that ? Thank you very much
Old May 13, 2017, 4:03 pm

Hi all...I'm new here. I have finally started traveling and am excited to find a FFP program to hook onto.

(1) What is your home airport?
DTW

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Mostly discounted economy fares that earn 25% (min) to 75% (max) miles

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year?
Expect to clock 25-35K miles in the coming year.

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
No, I have roughly 6k worth of miles with LH and QR and that's about it. No statuses on any of the alliances.
This year I already have an RT ticket booked on EVA Air from ORD to HKG in W class (50% earn) and I am looking at another trip to either Iceland, Vietnam or Costa Rica during Thanksgiving and a routine trip from DTW to MAA (India)

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Would prefer to become *G or SkyTeam Elite with the limited miles I fly or be able to redeem them for reasonable rates to Europe and Asia next year.

I regularly travel to India each year so it would be great even if all I could do each year with all my miles is either redeem or upgrade to J for the 22+ hour journeys. But since I travel in Dec this is more of an award availability issues than earning/spend rate itself.

US Domestic, Intl from ORD or DTW-MAA and DTW-ORD on DL for positioning.

(7) Preferred Airlines
AI, LH, AF, DL

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Pleasure. Since I am kinda starting from scratch I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited by jinxeddeep; May 14, 2017 at 10:17 am
Old May 15, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Miles & More
Moving from ZRH to SIN

Hi guys,

I am moving home base from ZRH to SIN. Is it worth changing *A FFP? Currently with MM and loads of miles in the account (not happy with flight avail + fees). Considering Krisflyer (for availability) or MilagePlus (value) but open to suggestions. Thanks for your help!

(1) What is your home airport? SIN
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Mostly C, short-haul Y, very occasional F
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 80k-100k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? MM Senator (confirmed until 2019)
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Availability of upgrades/reward tix for Asia to Europe and intra-Asia
(6) Which routes do you fly most often? Not sure now, probably Asia to Europe and intra-Asia
(7) Preferred Airlines? LX, SQ
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both

Thanks.

Last edited by DaSwissKid; May 18, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Old May 16, 2017, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaSwissKid
I am moving home base from ZRH to SIN. Is it worth changing *A FFP? Currently with MM and loads of miles in the account (not happy with flight avail + fees). Considering Krisflyer (for availability) or MilagePlus (value) but open to suggestions.
How long will you being living in Singapore for?

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old May 18, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
How long will you being living in Singapore for?

The grass in not always greener on the other side
I will be Singapore for at least 2-3 years. Maybe more. With Krisflyer I would also be able earn miles via credit card. I find flight availability to/from Asia is really poor with MM (with exception of BKK).

Thanks for your help
Old May 21, 2017, 12:51 pm

Hey, I would like to use a Star Alliance frequent flyer program that will allow me to store my miles for a lifetime. My travels are infrequent and mostly economy. Thanks
Old May 22, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: TG ROP
(1) What is your home airport? BKK/JFK/BOS
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Y/B/M
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? ~50K I usually fly between BKK-JFK but I'll have multiple trips from either JFK or BKK to Europe starting this year.
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? ROP Silver, I'm getting gold status next month
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good award redemption rate
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific etc) Transpacific
(7) Preferred Airlines TG > BR = ANA = OZ
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?) Pleasure, I can select my own airlines and class fare. Usually aim for the fare with 100% mileage accumulation.

I have been with TG ROP for over four years but didn't start to travel extensively until the last two years. I'm contemplating if I should switch to UA MileagePlus? I have just moved to the States, so it'll be easier to earn miles with American credit cards?

My first choice of carrier in transpacific flight is BR, followed by OZ since TG doesn't offer one. I would pick TG once they start operating to the US again. I fly TG exclusively on international flight to Europe (BKK-EUROPE). No strong preference in JFK/BOS to Europe. I usually pick Lufthansa or Austrian though. Flying from BKK to anywhere within Asia is almost exclusively TG unless OZ/NH/BR/SQ have great fares. I always pick flight that either is direct or has least connecting flights.

I recently used 70k to upgrade to business class on BR TPE-JFK while some people with different FF program use half of that amount. That's got me seriously consider switching to different FF program. If I make a switch, I'll redeem the 30k I have left on BKK-TPE, then start accumulate the miles with new program.

Last edited by thedaffodils; May 22, 2017 at 6:46 pm
Old May 29, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Which program to join now that AC will leave Aeroplan

Hello, I am not too comfortable now in accruing Aeroplan miles while flying AC (and other *A) as the two will divorce in 3 years; Aeorplan miles might lose any value.

So I am looking for another *A program.

I have *A Gold status for life being Million AC. I am just looking for value in the miles.

(1) What is your home airport? BKK, YUL
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? C
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 50 k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? AC 50, *A Gold
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Value in the miles earned
(6) Which routes do you fly most often (Transpacific Transatlantic)
(7) Preferred Airlines NH, LX, OS, AC
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Both and I can choose my flights and class of service.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:47 pm

(1) What is your home airport? LGA/JFK/EWR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 10-20k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? None
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades, priority service, lounge access, value when redeeming for personal use
(6) Which routes do you fly most often LGA-YYZ. Not exactly a mileage-accruing route. Travel to DEN or LAX is also likely a couple of times per year, but YYZ is far and away most common.
(7) Preferred Airlines AC (best schedule to/from NYC)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work

Unfortunately to the last point, all flights must be booked by the corporate travel desk, so I don't have much flexibility on things like booking codeshares. However, I'm likely to hit 25 AC segments this year, and 35 is very possible for 2018. Based on that, I think sticking with AC/Aeroplan might be the quickest route to gaining status.

I guess the alternative would be MileagePlus (is that the only other *A program with segment-based earning?), but I won't be able to earn PQD if I can't book UA or an AC codeshare.

Am I missing anything here?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Perd Hapley
(1) What is your home airport? LGA/JFK/EWR
(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? Economy
(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? 10-20k
(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? None
(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? Upgrades, priority service, lounge access, value when redeeming for personal use
(6) Which routes do you fly most often LGA-YYZ. Not exactly a mileage-accruing route. Travel to DEN or LAX is also likely a couple of times per year, but YYZ is far and away most common.
(7) Preferred Airlines AC (best schedule to/from NYC)
(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? Work

Unfortunately to the last point, all flights must be booked by the corporate travel desk, so I don't have much flexibility on things like booking codeshares. However, I'm likely to hit 25 AC segments this year, and 35 is very possible for 2018. Based on that, I think sticking with AC/Aeroplan might be the quickest route to gaining status.

I guess the alternative would be MileagePlus (is that the only other *A program with segment-based earning?), but I won't be able to earn PQD if I can't book UA or an AC codeshare.

Am I missing anything here?
You look like you're only going to be hitting *Silver with those numbers, probably by way of segments. If you're mainly flying AC, stick with Aeroplan/Altitude because *S only really provides benefits for the airline you earned it with. However, the good thing is United is unique in that it gives partner *Silvers many benefits too. You'll get all of the Premier Access benefits (priority check-in, priority baggage, priority boarding, priority security). So you'll be set for your domestic hops on UA as well ^
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:18 am

(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, LAX, MCO, etc.)
Moving to Singapore in the fall -- so SIN.

(2) What types of fares do you usually buy ? (C, F, Y, etc.)
Economy-Premium Economy.

(3) How many miles do you usually fly each year? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
Now w/return trips to SYD and USA, probably >50k

(4) Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it? (UA Premier, M&M Senator etc)
AA gold. But have 40k with UAL and am wondering if I should continue accruing through UAL or start w/Singapore Air's program directly. I don't know how status works through Star Alliance partner airlines. Should I continue accruing miles through United, or should I join the Singapore program and gain status by accruing miles through them? Another way to ask this is: if I get gold or platinum or whatever on United, will Singapore Air recognize it?

I'll be in SIN for about 2 years. Will points transfer back-and-forth w/UAL's program? Do they recognize elite status on the other?

(5) What is most important to you in a FFP? (Frequent upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, good award redemption rates, free lounge access, etc.)
Upgrades and priority services.

Will be SIN to SYD, SIN to USA (LA, ELP, LAS) and weekend short-hauls (Indonesia, Bali, Thailand, etc.). I'm assuming mostly on Singapore Airlines.

(7) Preferred Airlines
Currently AA (based in Austin). But beginning fall, Star Alliance.

(8) Do you travel for work or pleasure? (Can you chooose your airlines, class of service?)
Work long-haul, pleasure short-haul. I am limited probably to premium economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.