Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Get "Elite" level Star Alliance flying 3000 miles.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Mugged from SD.

Aegean airlines is now part of Star Alliance. They offer their "elite" level of membership at 4000 miles. You get 1000 miles just to sign up. Fly 3000 more and you're elite. That should give you the equivalent membership benefits on any Star Alliance airline.

http://en.aegeanair.com/
Old Aug 9, 2010, 5:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
If it sounds too good to be true....
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
One becomes Star Alliance Silver... point remains on the benefits other *A members offer to Silver elites from other carriers, basically zero value.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:52 pm

As per pb9997's post, it looks like it's *S at 3000, and *G at 19000 factoring in the welcome bonus (assuming welcome miles are EQM). I'm currently a happy AC AP member, but I filled out the registration form anyway and got an error message processing the registration--looks like some issue converting a numeric character to Turkish latin...

Last edited by 100mL; Aug 9, 2010 at 6:57 pm
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:32 am

Well, I checked the United website, and you do get to check two pieces of baggage for free with Star Alliance Silver for domestic flights (usually that can cost a good deal of money). Although they probably would find some American using Aegean's program card a bit amusing.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
You also get priority check-in and priority boarding with UA, and I think CO and US, too. *S actually has a reasonable amount of value with the US-based carriers. Not quite so much with any others.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:12 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
This has been reported on FT several times already. With 20k miles for *G A3 joins the ranks of OZ, TK etc for easy *G status. The really interesting thing is the M&M or BD DC style earning in premium cabins.

Oh, and welcome to FT, SGKingsley!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Oh, and welcome to FT, SGKingsley!
Thanks!

And since we're on the topic of Aegean's system, I was wonder how the likes of Aegean treat discount economy fare miles on major North American carriers? Because I am guessing there is perfect synchronization between North American carriers in terms of discount economy miles/segments (i.e. they don't piteously little for the former and don't count at all for latter), but since the concept of 'discount economy' is a bit fuzzier in parts of the world, I am not sure what's done there.

Last edited by SGKingsley; Aug 10, 2010 at 10:34 am Reason: Edited for clarification
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: A3*G, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by SGKingsley
Thanks!

And since we're on the topic of Aegean's system, I was wonder how the likes of Aegean treat discount economy fare miles on major North American carriers? Because I am guessing there is perfect synchronization between North American carriers in terms of discount economy miles/segments (i.e. they don't piteously little for the former and don't count at all for latter), but since the concept of 'discount economy' is a bit fuzzier in parts of the world, I am not sure what's done there.
In a glance:
US - all economy but award (O, I, X) is 100% miles
UA - Y - 150%, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V - 100%, W, S, T, L, K - 50% (but still minimum of 500)
CO - W, E, S, T, N, L - 50% (minimum 500), M, H, K, Q, U, V, G, Y, B - 100%
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by 100mL
As per pb9997's post, it looks like it's *S at 3000, and *G at 19000 factoring in the welcome bonus (assuming welcome miles are EQM). I'm currently a happy AC AP member, but I filled out the registration form anyway and got an error message processing the registration--looks like some issue converting a numeric character to Turkish latin...
As posted a month ago, the Aegean super easy status has a 1000 EQM head start with the sign-up bonus (counts for both RDM and EQM).
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Was living in WAS now DFW, at least closer to IAH!;)
Programs: UA:1K SPG:PLT MR:GLD AVIS-HERTZ:PREZ and AA is for quitters!
What the ....

That guy from NYT, IIRC must have mentioned Aegean's FFP ten times on NPR yesterday. During Fresh Air or Diane Reihm. Was on KERA 90.1 in DFW. Everytime he said "only 3k miles to get bottom elite" and how that will make all your subsequent *A flights much more pleasant.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Egor
In a glance:
US - all economy but award (O, I, X) is 100% miles
UA - Y - 150%, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V - 100%, W, S, T, L, K - 50% (but still minimum of 500)
CO - W, E, S, T, N, L - 50% (minimum 500), M, H, K, Q, U, V, G, Y, B - 100%
Thanks. What about Air Canada?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by SGKingsley
Thanks. What about Air Canada?
You can check out all *A earn rates here:
http://en.aegeanair.com/MilesAndBonu...nFly#airCanada

As posted a month ago, the Aegean super easy status has a 1000 EQM head start with the sign-up bonus (counts for both RDM and EQM).
Thanks for the link Kiwi Flyer--added your blog to my feed aggregator.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, COPA, Air Canada (dormant)
Probably a silly question ... but do Aegean allow retro-active credit for flights taken before joining. (I have an orphan flight from SCL-YYZ that would get me Blue(Silver) "status" if they do.)
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Missing mileage requests need to be within 6 months of travel. However, I do not know if mileage can be credited for travel taken before joining up.

rmb.rlk - if you've already credited the flight to Aeroplan you won't be able to transfer it to Aegean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.