Search
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Connecting at MAD / Madrid Barajas International Airport
FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR ADD TO THIS WIKIPOST

Madrid airport layout

Terminals include

Terminal 1: International. Star Alliance primarily (also the only non-Schengen area outside of T4)

Terminal 2: Domestic mostly. SkyTeam primarily

Terminal 3: Schengen and some Domestic mostly. Air France/KLM/Lufthansa usually leave from here, but really it's just a slight extension on T2

Terminals 1-2-3 are adjacent and host Star and SkyTeam alliances and are all connected airside.

Terminal 4: one world including Iberia
Domestic and Schengen mostly from Terminal 4
International from Terminal 4-S (satellite) (Except IB or I2 operated flights to UK and Ireland as well as BA CityFlyer flights to LCY that operate out of T4 Main, though note that usually one IB flight to LHR daily is operated by an A330 or A340, these flights go from T4-S).
Both connected by an underground train, though going from T4-S to T4 requires going landside and re-clearing security in order to access T4.

Terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus service.

Connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen (or departing the airport) one must process immigration in T-4S. Queues can be lengthy at times; if you are an EU citizen, you wil lfind the kiosk to your right in the queues. If you are not, keep to the right of the general queues anyway, as the EU queues can empty and they begin waving non-EU passengers into the EU lines.

The train connecting the T4-S satellite to T4 must be accessed via lifts or stairs; the lifts are faster. A non-Schengen to Schengen connection can take an hour or longer - A 1.5 hours is recommended as minimum connect times, and possibly more for Schengen to non-Schengen if during busy hours due to security procedures, particularly for US flights. Status passengers on Iberia flights to the US have access to a separate priority queue to clear the extra US screening.

Connections to other terminals are by a landside shuttle bus located, and can take rather longer than one might think as T4 is quite far away from T1/2/3. There is a metro link between the two, however you will have to pay full fare and even for a single rider a taxi is pretty competitive on price when the airport supplement is included.

Resources:

Link to Madrid Barajas Airport (World Airport Guides)

Link to AENA official MAD Madrid Barajas website by airport operator AENA

Wikipedia decent article on Madrid Barajas (with listings of airline gates and terminals - BUT caveat - it fails to differentiate between Terminal 4 and Terminal 4-S!)

Schengen Agreements nations information (with maps, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Connections through Madrid Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:08 pm

Hi! I'm travelling from London Heathrow to Buenos Aires via Madrid next month. I'm flying British Airways (both flights), arriving and departing Madrid at T4S. There's a connection time of 1 hour 5 minutes (arr. 10.50, dep. 11.55). Could you please tell me what the process is upon landing in Madrid to put my mind at ease as it seems a short amount of time in an airport I do not know! Many thanks in advance.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:11 am

Hi! I am Travelling from Miami to Madrid to Barcelona. MIA-MAD-BCN ..
My Spanish wife is already in Barcelona having the time of her life with her family. While I am about to embark on my trip with two very active 12 and 13 year old boys.
I am arriving at T4S and I think Departing at T4 to BCN. All on one ticket from Iberia. I used a bunch of points and its all business class. Have 4 hours between flights.
After reading comments ..
When I arrive at MAD I need to go thru immigration. But what about my checked bags? Do I collect them and check in again? and do I go thru immigration again at BCN? Or does Iberia transfer them and then what??
Any helpful hints to make it easier once I get to Mad and make transfer. I am expecting at least two to three major incidents with boys fighting each other at airport.. or irritating me while jet lagged to want to abandon them both at airport. But in the quest for family unity I will probably keep them. I am assuming I can get onto some lounge with business class ticket. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Hi Charles, you are going to have a great time in Barcelona! I am not certain on the bags as I usually fly directly into the city that is my first destination, and if not, don't have a checked bag. But on the lounge, you will definitely have access to the Iberia (which doubles for OneWorld Alliance) lounges. There is one in T4S and another in T4. There is a pretty good selection of food/snacks, and an excellent selection of wine and alcohol. There are also showers and computers available for use.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Charles S
When I arrive at MAD I need to go thru immigration. But what about my checked bags? Do I collect them and check in again? and do I go thru immigration again at BCN? Or does Iberia transfer them and then what??
Your bags will be checked through all the way to BCN, no need to pick them up in MAD. (You will have to go through customs with your bags at BCN, but generally that's just a walk through affair.)
You will clear the immigration for the European Schengen zone in MAD. Since your MAD to BCN flight is intra-Schengen, there will be no more immigration checks after that. You will probably have to go through security before your flight to BCN, but I am not 100% about this (if it is done at MAD for connecting passengers arriving from the US).
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:22 pm

Thank You for the helpful information. Will go to the lounges in MAD for sure. Kids can get wifi there I am sure. Looking forward to Spain and its wine and food.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:07 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
You have to get 30 min wifi access from the reception. On the way to BCN you will have to re clear security in T4. It may actually be best to go completely landside and then go through fast track security (it's just to the right of the main security) which will lead you directly to the Dalí lounge in T4 that you can access.

On the return trip, you will again get your passport stamped at MAD and then have access to the very nice Velázquez lounge in T4S. There will be no need to re-clear security once you arrive. Airports designed for post-Schengen use don't have separation for arriving and departing passengers, it's essentially like a domestic flight in the US.

That said, even MAD T1 and T2 have separate arrival channels so it's not necessarily standard. I don't know how BCN is as I live next to the main railway station in Madrid so I have never flown that trip.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
To clarify the previous answers:
1. You walk off the plane, straight to immigration and get your passports stamped.
2. You get on a train from T4S to T4 and go through security there.
3. Go to the lounge where you can take a shower and relax.
4. Board your domestic flight to BCN.
5. In BCN go to the baggage claim, pick up your bags and walk through customs.

On return:
1. Check in at BCN (bags get checked to the final destination, but if you're connecting in the US, you'll have to pick them up and go through customs and drop them off again)
2. Enjoy the mediocre lounge in BCN
3. Upon arrival in MAD take the train T4>T4S (no need to re-clear security)
4. Go through Passport Control
5. Enjoy the nice lounge in MAD and board the plane.

To clarify: both BCN and MAD Schengen areas mix arriving and departing passengers, UNLESS your Schengen flight comes into T4S in MAD (a big point of annoyance for me, as most LIS>MAD flights do just that ). In that case, if you're connecting to another Schengen flight, you're required to take the train to T4 and go through security AGAIN.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:03 am

I will be traveling from Mallorca (PMI) to Madrid then transfer to Toronto.

My IB3913 flight arrives at 10:40 at terminal 4. Outbound flight to Toronto LH6590 departs at 13:30 from terminal 1.

Will I have sufficient time to collect luggage, transfer from terminal 4 to terminal 1 and drop off luggage at check in?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:07 am

Iberia should be able to send your luggage straight on to the Air Canada flight, even on two separate tickets.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Koby
Iberia should be able to send your luggage straight on to the Air Canada flight, even on two separate tickets.
Thanks for info. I will ask for that.

If the checkin agent denies my through check request, will I still have enough time? Do I have to clear customs and how many security check points would I have to go through? I had a close call last time I was in FCO

I read that I can get from T4 to T1 via free bus or paid metro. Which one is faster?

My flight from PMI to MAD is business class, will my buggage be prioritized? Or it will be the same as everyone else?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by newbie0121
Thanks for info. I will ask for that.

If the checkin agent denies my through check request, will I still have enough time? Do I have to clear customs and how many security check points would I have to go through? I had a close call last time I was in FCO

I read that I can get from T4 to T1 via free bus or paid metro. Which one is faster?

My flight from PMI to MAD is business class, will my buggage be prioritized? Or it will be the same as everyone else?
I would say you SHOULD have enough time IF everything goes on schedule and you can't through check.

Definitely take the shuttle bus between the terminals, the metro is expensive and leaves you far from where you will want to be in T1. It should be 10-15 minutes on the shuttle.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:31 pm

I am planning to travel with no check in bags through Madrid in October arriving from the US on Delta (T1) at 09:50 and planning on a connection on Vueling (T4) to Barcelona at 12:10. Will I have sufficient time to make this connection? Thanks in advance for your response/
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:20 pm

With no luggage you can make it IF everything is on time. Much more than a 30 minute delay either in the air or with another flight in front of you at immigration and things get a lot more questionable. I'd take the next BCN flight, it's not like there aren't enough. Or consider the AVE train from Atocha station as there is a 5€ express bus that takes you directly there from T1.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
With no luggage you can make it IF everything is on time. Much more than a 30 minute delay either in the air or with another flight in front of you at immigration and things get a lot more questionable. I'd take the next BCN flight, it's not like there aren't enough. Or consider the AVE train from Atocha station as there is a 5€ express bus that takes you directly there from T1.
Thank you for your prompt response - it is greatly appreciated. We will plan on taking the train and take the safer approach.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:46 pm

I'm considering booking NCE-MAD-PHL with a nearly 24 hour overnight connection in Madrid to do a bit of walking around the city. Flights would be Air Nostrum connecting to American Airlines so my luggage would be checked through.

Are there any concerns leaving my luggage overnight at MAD with such a long connection? We won't have any valuables in the luggage, but still concerned about the safety of my items overnight.`

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.