Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8 hour layover in MAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:30 am
Original Poster

8 hour layover in MAD

I will have an 8 hour layover in MAD. Flight arrives at 7:30am and leaves at 3:55pm for Rome.

I'm thinking about leaving the airport and going into Madrid for a few hours.

Any suggestions on transportation to/from the airport and where/what to do?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: IB Platino (OW Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (ST Elite Plus), Priority Club Gold, Sol Melia Gold
Before 18 Apr use the bus.
The metro will reopen 18 Apr.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:43 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
If you arriving at T4, definitely use the cercanías train in the morning. Change trains at Nuevos Ministerios to be able to go to Sol. Ignoring cost, it will be faster than sitting in a taxi in the morning traffic.

On the way back, you can get a taxi that will take about 25 minutes for 30€ or take the same train back that comes every 30 minutes and will take about 40 minutes from Sol (depending on how well your change goes) and costs 2,60€ per person. Depends on how you value the money.

That will give you plenty of time to see the main city center. Sol, the Teatro Real, Royal Palace, Cathedral (though probably not enough time to go in) Plaza Mayor, Mercado de San Miguel plus just walking a few small streets in the area.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
If you arriving at T4, definitely use the cercanías train in the morning. Change trains at Nuevos Ministerios to be able to go to Sol. Ignoring cost, it will be faster than sitting in a taxi in the morning traffic.

On the way back, you can get a taxi that will take about 25 minutes for 30€ or take the same train back that comes every 30 minutes and will take about 40 minutes from Sol (depending on how well your change goes) and costs 2,60€ per person. Depends on how you value the money.

That will give you plenty of time to see the main city center. Sol, the Teatro Real, Royal Palace, Cathedral (though probably not enough time to go in) Plaza Mayor, Mercado de San Miguel plus just walking a few small streets in the area.
Thanks. We land from the US on April 5th at 7:30am at T4S I think and depart at 3:55pm from T4. The poster above said no metro until April 18th? So do we have to take a taxi or bus?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
No...there are two types of trains that get to T4, the Metro (which will be out of operation) and the Cercanías (which is a regional rail type train). You want the Cercanías which will you get by just going down the ramp right after going land side and then all the way to the end on your left.

You need to buy a ticket from the red machines and just put Sol as your destination.

You can also not change and get out at Recoletos and see the Colón plaza, Puerta de Alcalá, Cibeles fountain and castle and then walk to the center to see everything else. (Note that it will be a morning rush hour train so expect some crowds)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.