Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do during inconvenient layover in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

What to do during inconvenient layover in Madrid

I'm flying into Madrid on Iberia on Dec 6 at 16:35, and leave the next morning for the US at 10am on AF. I'm a US citizen, flying business. I've never been to Madrid, and am looking for suggestions as to how to see as much of Madrid as I can.
Thanks.

Last edited by bearspa; Nov 1, 2016 at 12:14 pm Reason: grammer
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:20 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
That actually seems like a perfect amount of time. I really recommend staying in the city rather than near the airport.

You'll find the streets are going to be very full as we have two days off that week so many people come to the capital to do Christmas shopping.

What's your hotel budget? There are tons of reasonably priced hotels in Madrid.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks, LupineChemist, for your quick reply. I'm glad to hear that it is enough time. Given that I don't know when I'll be able to make a proper visit to Madrid, I want to make the most of this opportunity.

I'm not sure what prices are like in Madrid then, but would it be possible to stay around 200 euro in someplace convenient?

Last edited by bearspa; Nov 2, 2016 at 8:09 am Reason: explain
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
200€ is easily enough. Personally, I'd take the Cercanías train and stay at VIP Jardín de Recoletos. The train station is direct from the airport and the hotel is a block from the exit. But I just hate the idea of spending 60€ round trip on a taxi when I could spend 5€ on transport.

If you're fine with a taxi, I'd say in that price range to go with the ME Reina Victoria. A very cool hotel in a location that's hard to beat. Can still be done quite easily in transport if you are fine with a change of trains and walking 3 or 4 blocks, too.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Given that I have a 10am flight, I'd rather stick with a train to and from the airport than risk getting caught in traffic, so I'll take your first suggestion.

What would you suggest as an itinerary for the time that I have? I'm an amateur photographer, and like architecture (particularly churches, synagogues and temples), people-watching, panoramic views, and nature (probably not appropriate here). I also like experiences of all sorts that are unique to the country.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by bearspa; Nov 2, 2016 at 10:20 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Excellent and interesting hotel suggestions from LupineChemist there. I'm a total fan of Madrid and always try to find time to do things when I have a trip there. Finding back alley places with free tapas is my craze there! Once I found a place where the food came free with two glasses of very good wine, which cost a total of 4 Euros! In the touristy center you can find very good authentic tapas places, but you do have to pay for them. If you like photography and architecture, that place is paradise... I took so many pictures I don't know what to do with them!

One thing that I found very useful was to have the Lonely Planet guide with me. I simply bought the digital Madrid chapter from the Spain guide, for something like EUR2.50, and kept it on my iPad.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I usually follow Rick Steves while I am in Europe, but Lonely Planet is good too--that's who I'll be using in Morocco!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.