Wiki Posts
Search

BNA to Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
BNA to Lisbon

Would anyone have suggestions about the easiest way to get to Lisbon for a May cruise? My husband hates to go up and down multiple times. The few cities that fly direct are from PHL or IAD? It cant' be Delta according to Regent Cruise line because it's too pricey. Thanks so much.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Delta doesn't fly into LIS.
One-stop options are:
UA+TP through EWR
UA+UA through IAD (after 26 MAY)
UA+UA through EWR
AA+AA through PHL

Last edited by Palal; Nov 17, 2015 at 9:37 am
Old Nov 17, 2015, 11:44 am
Original Poster

What is TAP

Is this an airline and is it safe?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by mphall
Is this an airline and is it safe?
Yes, it is Portugal's flag airline, a Star Alliance member, and about as safe as any other. You can fly them to Lisbon from Newark or Miami.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Lisbon has non-stop scheduled flights to Miami and Newark year-round and Philadelphia and Washington seasonally. TAP is perfectly safe, and usually the only way to fly a widebody from the U.S. to Lisbon.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:07 pm

Here are some comparables between flying United or TAP to Lisbon out of Newark. TAP's economy has rows with 2 seats so a couple can get aisle and window, whereas United has rows of three. You can buy up to Economy Plus on United, although there's still that middle seat problem. There's a nice big United Club at Terminal C for United's international flights. There is no United Club at Terminal B where TAP departs, but you can stop off at the small one at Terminal A where your domestic connection will arrive. United's food is passable, but for a TAP flight I would buy a sandwich at the airport.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Here are some comparables between flying United or TAP to Lisbon out of Newark. TAP's economy has rows with 2 seats so a couple can get aisle and window, whereas United has rows of three.
Not quite. Starting in May UA switches to a 767. That is 2-3-2 seating, exactly the same as TAP.

There's a nice big United Club at Terminal C for United's international flights. There is no United Club at Terminal B where TAP departs, but you can stop off at the small one at Terminal A where your domestic connection will arrive. United's food is passable, but for a TAP flight I would buy a sandwich at the airport.
There are two nice LH lounges in Terminal B where TAP departs, with much better food than UA provides in A or C. If OP has access to a UA Club, odds are she has access to the better LH lounges. There is also a SK lounge in B, but I find that not as good as the LH lounges.

One big difference between the two is also the schedule. TAP is 6pm to 6am, UA is 8pm to 8am. I much prefer the more civilized arrival hour of UA.

Another difference that may be important for the OP is stairs. In LIS, TAP tends to use remote parking positions requiring going down the steps to a bus, whereas UA mostly use jet bridges with direct access to the terminal with no stairs. OP mentioned that "husband hates to go up and down multiple times", and if this is really a big issue UA had better odds of no stairs to deal with.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much. What I meant was that my husband doesn't like to go up and down on various planes to get to a destination. Two is one too many but three or four changes is crazy.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:36 am

I would say that the hard product is better on UA hands down in both classes, but the food is better on TP also in both classes. I don't like the fact that TP takes forever to serve it though, leaving little time to sleep.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Not quite. Starting in May UA switches to a 767. That is 2-3-2 seating, exactly the same as TAP.
A330/340 is 2-4-2 (narrow 17" width!!!)
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Palal
I would say that the hard product is better on UA hands down in both classes, but the food is better on TP also in both classes. I don't like the fact that TP takes forever to serve it though, leaving little time to sleep.
Last week it was 5 hours into the EWR-LIS LIS flight before TAP stopped with the carts and turned out the lights, leaving 2 hours to sleep. Very bad for the baby. I don't like the TAP food but that's subjective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.