Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seville and Malaga for New Years

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Seville and Malaga for New Years

My boyfriend and I are planning on taking a trip to Spain for New years as we're both in schol and it's really the only time we can afford to go. We are still trying to plan the trip (Haven't even bought tickets yet). We'd be leaving out of JFK. We picked these cities for their history and the fact I don't really like the cold. I was wondering if there are any places we should visit ie food and night clubs? We're of course going to visit the historical monuments! We're flying into and out of Malaga. And I was also wondering if it would be best to drive to Seville and back or take the train? This is also both of our first international trips so any general advice is welcome as well. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I would really try to visit Granada and/or Cordoba given your destinations. Maybe do Sevilla, Granada and Cordoba - they're all pretty close together. Granada has the Alhambra, which is (one of?) the most visited site in Spain and spectacular. Cordoba is also worth a visit, and I love Sevilla. Malaga is a great base for visiting beaches, but it won't really be beach weather that time of year. If you're able to stay until Jan. 6th, the Día de los Reyes Magos, I highly recommend, as it's a big holiday in Spain. I've been in Sevilla that day and it's great.
Trains are really good around Spain. If you're only going to big cities, just take the train. If you want to see small towns/countryside, rent a car, but train should be good.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Ok we're thinking of adding Cordoba as a destination.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

When I look on the Renfe site it keeps telling me that there are no trains from Malaga to Cordoba?
We're thinking Malaga(fly in 30th or 31st) to Cordoba to Sevilla to Malaga(Fly out 7th or 8th)
Can anyone help with working the train website?

Last edited by earynnm; Aug 2, 2015 at 11:11 am
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I know there is some construction going on (you should be able to find details on another thread). But you also can't see schedules online more than a certain period of time out, I don't think beyond 2 months.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Yes I think that was my problem. Thank you.

Last edited by earynnm; Aug 3, 2015 at 2:26 pm
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: most of them
The intercity buses can be just as quick as trains in some cases and quite cheap. I paid about 10 euros each for trips on the "supra economy" bus from Seville to Granada and Granada to Cordoba.

The region is really nice. I did a trip report on my recent trip.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...one-class.html
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Posting in this thread instead of starting a new one.

Thinking of going to Malaga and Sevilla in February (flying into Malaga - a bit of a milage run).
7 nights, staying in Malaga + maybe a resort about 20 km from Malaga + Sevilla.
I haven't been to Malaga for many years and never in winter.

I am assuming that Malaga is not entirely a tourist city and therefore not completely 'shut down' in winter, am I correct?

On the other hand, I'm assuming that the area around Malaga is pretty much 'shut down' making the idea of a night or two in a resort a less than good idea.....

The resort idea was merely to relax for a day or two and I have never stayed in a resort as such. This resort is on the train line so easy to get to and from.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:10 am

'I am assuming that Malaga is not entirely a tourist city and therefore not completely 'shut down' in winter, am I correct?'
Malaga is a normal functioning city of more than a half million and could hardly be described as a tourist city and never shuts down. It certainly has many interests to attract tourists.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:24 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by WomBatt
'I am assuming that Malaga is not entirely a tourist city and therefore not completely 'shut down' in winter, am I correct?'
Malaga is a normal functioning city of more than a half million and could hardly be described as a tourist city and never shuts down. It certainly has many interests to attract tourists.
Thank you for confirming.
That's what I thought but some people have been trying to tell me otherwise.
I meant no disrespect, just wanted to make sure.

What is your thoughts about a night or two in a resort in February (It's in La Capellania)?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:44 am
Suspended

Sevilla is super boring.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: most of them
See, and I totally loved Seville. Different strokes, I guess. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.