Wiki Posts
Search

One full day in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Plat; TK - Elite; Marriott - Gold
One full day in Madrid

I'm planning a trip in September, which would place me in MAD at around 7:35pm Saturday, night, from Lufthansa flight. And then departing from MAD at 9:35am on Monday.

Based on the arrival/departure time, could anyone suggest what might be good for a quick look around. First time in Spain.

If I read it right, LH arrives/leaves in T1?
I was thinking of just taking a taxi, to make things easier, from airport to Atocha and stay around there for 2 nights (Saturday night/Sunday night), and taxi back to the airport. Any recommendations for a good hotel to stay in? It doesnt have to be 5 star, just a place to crash at night, and safe.

I also read some people talking about how crazy the Madrid airport is. How early should a first timer get there on the day of departure?

Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Luckily, a lot of the key sites in Madrid are very centralized and since you have a limited time and it's your first time in Spain, you probably just want to concentrate on a few highlights.
I see you're Marriott Gold. There are 2 AC hotels within several blocks of Atocha. It's not a particularly exciting neighborhood, but it's close to Atocha (though that matters more if you're taking the train). Super nice is the Palacio del Retiro, also by Marriott, which is right on the Parque del Retiro and in the same vicinity but much nicer area. The ME by Melia on the Plaza de Santa Ana is a personal favorite.

On Saturday night, I'd get a nice dinner - either at a good sit-down restaurant followed by drinks (you can stay out as late as you want in Madrid!) or do a traditional bocadillo de calamares near the Plaza Mayor or at El Brillante across from Atocha/next to Reina Sofia, and some tapas at a couple different spots. Either late night or early Sunday morning, get some churros con chocolate.

For Sunday, a few things - I suggest checking out the Prado Museum as it's one of the great museums. You could also do the Reina Sofia, particularly if you're more into modern art (Picasso's Guernica, Dali). Leave some time for a walk through the Parque del Retiro (Madrid's Central Park), which is particularly lovely on Sundays. It's also just behind the Prado. The Prado, Reina Sofia and Thiessen museums are all within a few minutes walk from one another. Also nearby but slightly further west are the Puerta del Sol, Plaza de Santa Ana and the Plaza Mayor, worth a walk-through for a first time visitor.

There's much more to see in Madrid, but for just over one day, that's a pretty good start.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Plat; TK - Elite; Marriott - Gold
Writing these down.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: most of them
I took the airport express bus from the airport to/from Atocha. Only 5 euros each way. And it only stops in a couple of places so it doesn't take that much longer than a taxi, although you will have to walk to your final destination from Atocha (or take a taxi of course).

I didn't find the airport especially chaotic. But the walks are very long. I flew Delta from/to JFK and the USA gates are at the far end of the airport which made for quite a hike.

I wouldn't expect to do much the first evening. If you are coming from LAX I assume that's a fairly long flight. Unless you are impervious to jetlag.

For Sunday it really depends on what you like to do. It's a giant metropolis. I wasn't a huge fan of the Prado. But I went at the end of the day when entry is free so I had 2 hours to see things. It's lots of old painting mostly. The part I liked the most was the treasures of the Dauphin exhibit hidden in a vault in the basement. Lots of cool and interesting things in that colleciton.

I loved the National Archaeological Museum. It was closed for several years for renovation but only reopened in the last couple of years. Tons of artifacts from all of Spain's history well-displayed and interpreted in English as well Spanish. On Sunday it closes at 3 I think. It's only a couple of euros or free after noon (I think). The museum is about 25 minutes walking from Atocha.

Of course there's the Palacio Real which I thought was a bit overpriced. And no photos allowed inside. But it's a massive palace which is kind of cool. The gardens are nice too.

I agree that Puerta Sol and Plaza Mayor area are worth a wander. I liked Retiro park alot but it was very hot the day I was there so I didn't stay all that long. You could easily spend a lot of time there as it is enormous. But it's more of a relaxing, people-watching kind of place.

I stayed at the Eric Vokel apartments hotel and the Wootraveling apartments on Calle Atocha. Eric Vokel was nicer but also more expensive. Both are serviced apartment type places so they don't have all the hotel amenities but that makes them less expensive. Tons and tons of hotels in that area though.

Last edited by glennaa11; Jul 9, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Estadio Santiago Bernabéu.

Just my two cents.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I stayed at the AC by Marriott Atocha and it's a very pleasant hotel. I'd probably skip the taxi at least for the ride into the city as the Metro is fairly quick (probably 40 minutes) and far cheaper. Plus, then you arrive at prime dinner time.

For your full day, if you want to see a museum you can't go wrong with either the Prado or the Renia Sofia. Also, the large park Parque del Retiro is a must see, even in winter. It's also a great city just to walk around in. Stop by the Mercado San Miguel for a coffee, hit a tapas bar, enjoy the people watching. I was there last December and the weather was fairly pleasant too. Enjoy your visit!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by CMK10
I stayed at the AC by Marriott Atocha and it's a very pleasant hotel. I'd probably skip the taxi at least for the ride into the city as the Metro is fairly quick (probably 40 minutes) and far cheaper. Plus, then you arrive at prime dinner time.

For your full day, if you want to see a museum you can't go wrong with either the Prado or the Renia Sofia. Also, the large park Parque del Retiro is a must see, even in winter. It's also a great city just to walk around in. Stop by the Mercado San Miguel for a coffee, hit a tapas bar, enjoy the people watching. I was there last December and the weather was fairly pleasant too. Enjoy your visit!
FYI, if you do it again, from T4 to Atocha, the cercanías line is cheaper, faster, and doesn't involve any changes. Though it's 30 minutes between trains if you catch it wrong, but I'd still go for it.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
FYI, if you do it again, from T4 to Atocha, the cercanías line is cheaper, faster, and doesn't involve any changes. Though it's 30 minutes between trains if you catch it wrong, but I'd still go for it.
Unfortunately, I had flown in on Air France which didn't use T4 I think the OP is also in the same situation
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Great stuff here, will only have a day and a half and this is pretty well aligned with what I was planning already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.