pickpocketed in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by RussellJ
Quote:

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger

I have a trip to Madrid and Barcelona coming up in the autumn. From reading various online forums, I'm getting the impression that reading an ebook on my phone/Kindle at a café or restaurant is asking to be robbed? That is, if those items aren't stolen by the time I arrive there?

We visited both Madrid & barcelona in June 2015. There was a massive police presence in Madrid but very few to be seen in the places we visited in Barcelona. We had read similar stories but had no problems- there are many people around both cities that seem to have no idea about protecting their belongings so if you use common sense there will be many people picked on before you

Barcelona is a must visit city to visit and enjoy while in Spain, just being aware will go a long way towards not being a victim of a pick-pocket
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I have a trip to Madrid and Barcelona coming up in the autumn. From reading various online forums, I'm getting the impression that reading an ebook on my phone/Kindle at a café or restaurant is asking to be robbed? That is, if those items aren't stolen by the time I arrive there?
So long as you watch your belongings, don't leave property unattended or out of sight hanging on the back of a chair and are aware of your surroundings, you will be fine.

I was in both Barcelona and Madrid in late May and early June and nothing bad happened. When walking around, my daughter kept a hand on her purse and I had my wallet in a front pocket. If you want to be hyper careful, carry your passport, credit cards and cash in a money belt under your clothing.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Originally Posted by TWA884

When walking around, my daughter kept a hand on her purse and I had my wallet in a front pocket. If you want to be hyper careful, carry your passport, credit cards and cash in a money belt under your clothing.
Excellent advice,I visited Barcelona,was warned about pick pockets etc,and just made sure everything was under wraps,and secure just be very aware.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Yeah, I live here and have never been the victim of a pickpocket. That said, if I'm in a big crowd I'll button my wallet pocket if it has one or move it to the front. My wife only carries bags with zippers (this is a big one a lot of people from other places don't think about). Also, if you are carrying any kind of shoulder bag or purse, carry it with the strap across your torso (e.g. hanging on the right side supported on the left shoulder).

That and just being aware of your surroundings will be all you really need. I read with my kindle all the time, even (or more especially) on public transport.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I know it's a bit OT, but they were just a bit IN MY FACE in Lisbon on one of those trams frequented by tourists. I wore mean looking sunglasses and stared them out, or at least tried to . When I pulled out my (water) pistol and examined it, as if to prime it, they scarpered. Ran like rabbits, stupid pathetic cowards. <redacted>

You should put Geneva at the top of that list. I've renamed it "Scumbag City" it's so bad (although in fairness I've noticed an improvement over the last 12 months).

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 28, 2015 at 9:25 am Reason: Bit over the top redacted
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mike2200
Apparently not a punishable crime:
the courts apparently only prosecute for thefts of more than 600 euros in value.
That's the issue.

The theft has to be of over €600.

If that's cash taken from your wallet (which was likely passed on to a "stall" by your "pick", and it's cash you're talking about, unless you have the bill serial numbers written down to prove theft of those specific bills and it's over €600, you're not a victim and the thief will be subjected to "catch and release" at best.

The last time I was actually robbed (Seoul, Korea, 1966), I got my ID, wallet, Nikon F and watch back, but the cops kept the cash because "I couldn't prove it was mine".

Successful pickpockets often work as part of a team: one to distract (not necessary with crowds, or existing distractions such as gunk sprayed on your shirt, street performers, accidents, group of children pressing you with postcards or ?, etc.), the actual "pick" who performs the snatch, and a "stall" who has the stolen item passed on and may secret it in a shopping bag, briefcase, backpack, etc. (That way, if you "make" the pick, the pick has nothing of yours on their person.)

When working alone, the really good ones might work alone when the environment provides distraction - crowded street or subway, for example) and if not, can find an excuse to get close to you.

My last experience was entering Chavez / LIM airport, a jet-lagged looking guy, slightly rumpled, carrying an airline sized bag and seemingly reading a text on his mobile, seemed to trip and lurch into me whilst apologizing. I saw the unoccupied hand going for my pocket and reacted. Call the police? For an "attempted robbery"? You can't prove a thing. If the guy had a gram of intelligence, he'd have a boarding pass discarded by an arriving traveler.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the thing is to not let them get you. Which I have managed so far. But I do feel sorry for the tourists who have their trips ruined by this (happens on a daily basis to Japanese and other tourists in Geneva, as well as obviously Barcelona, Madrid and so on). For us who are wise to this, it's not hard to pay attention and protect ourselves. Secret is to not let the concentration lapse, as I occasionally do when I fall asleep in the train.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

pickpocketed in Barcelona

The pickpocket's goal is always to pick a tourist, if they get caught the victim will be long gone back home before any court proceeding
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:53 pm

Anyone ever get pick pocketed in Barcelona? I did a few days ago on the Metro L3 heading towards Diagonal, wallet was in front zipped pants pocket. He got 30 euro and I had to cancel a couple credit cards. Seems it's quite the problem there the courts apparently only prosecute for thefts of more than 600 euros in value.
i was almost pickpocketed in Malaga. gypsies selling flowers. I was going to give them a euro and they tried to grab a 50 Euro. I held on tight and they got the corner of bill. I had to exchange it at the bank as it was no longer usable. They were sweet old ladies.....until they tried to get my money
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sasha12345
Quote:

Anyone ever get pick pocketed in Barcelona? I did a few days ago on the Metro L3 heading towards Diagonal, wallet was in front zipped pants pocket. He got 30 euro and I had to cancel a couple credit cards. Seems it's quite the problem there the courts apparently only prosecute for thefts of more than 600 euros in value.

i was almost pickpocketed in Malaga. gypsies selling flowers. I was going to give them a euro and they tried to grab a 50 Euro. I held on tight and they got the corner of bill. I had to exchange it at the bank as it was no longer usable. They were sweet old ladies.....until they tried to get my money
Yes sweet is what they use till they can take you for some money, then watch out!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I was extra vigilant on our trip to Barcelona. I kept my wallet in a front pocket...and a pen angled out (so I wouldn't stab myself). If someone tried to put their hand in, they'd get stabbed by the pen

That said, when I went to the beach (from the Hilton Diagonal del Mar), I only took towel, shoes, shirt, shorts, sunglasses, and room key. One day it was windy, so I found a crevice in the rocks to stow my stuff, and did the same every day after. I was usually out swimming for an hour, and easily got too far to see where I left things.

Thankfully we survived 10 days without any theft ^
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It really puts me off wanting to visit the place, although I've never been to Barcelona. I just spent a week in Lanzarote and felt so safe there, including spending some time in Arrecife itself.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Concerto
It really puts me off wanting to visit the place, although I've never been to Barcelona. I just spent a week in Lanzarote and felt so safe there, including spending some time in Arrecife itself.
It's not THAT bad. You're familiar enough with Spain to know what's what. I mean, just look at the story above where someone left a 50€ note within reach of a gypsy. Not saying it's his fault, but anyone with a passing experience with the country would know that sort of thing is a huge no-go.

Most of the time it's people that aren't used to just exactly how they have to be aware of their surroundings because it's never been an issue. Most of the time people not used to the environment are over cautious but it's better than being overly careless.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Concerto
I use a hidden pocket to significantly decrease the chance of anything getting stolen in certain cities. Carry a few Euro separately to pay for things. Don't miss Barcelona just because of this.

http://www.rei.com/product/819687/ea...n-pocket-pouch
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:41 pm

Not only were we not pick-pocketed in Barcelona, my husband dropped his wallet in the Metro and had someone run us down to return it. I know this is the exception to the rule, but our experience nonetheless.

In fact, I've been all over Europe in the past two years and the only time someone tried to take something from me was in the lobby of my building in my own small, non-tourist city. I naively let him in thinking he was legit and he was a little too helpful. I caught him taking my wallet out of the diaper bag and confronted him. He shrugged, returned it, and took off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.