Search

Portgual road trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Portgual road trip

I had two days with my parents in a rental car. We are thinking of seeing Alcobaca, Batalha, Coimbra and Tomar. Can we do that in two days? Can we also add in Sintra? Evora is also an option but it is farther.

I haven't read the greatest things about Porto. Beyond the famous river area, it didnt seem that interesting.

Thank you!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My first choice would be to drive to (and stay in, taking dinner there too) the posada in the national park that's the former hunting lodge of the king.

For an interesting drive, the toll expressway along the coast had some dramatic views from places where the roadway seems to hang from the rocks over the sea. The brick rural roads that are delineated by brick walls seem typical of Portugal too. However, expect to have slow average speeds on secondary roads and through towns.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Seems more than reasonalbe for a couple days. Sintra should be about a half day by itself as a minimum. Nazaré is also pretty incredible. I also enjoyed Óbidos, which is right along the freeway as well.

Alcobaça was a huge let down for me. If you want to go see the cathedral, it's not too far off the path, but an hour in that town was about 40 minutes too much.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I had two days with my parents in a rental car. We are thinking of seeing Alcobaca, Batalha, Coimbra and Tomar. Can we do that in two days? Can we also add in Sintra? Evora is also an option but it is farther.

I haven't read the greatest things about Porto. Beyond the famous river area, it didnt seem that interesting.

Thank you!
Two days isn't really enough time for all that. I've taken visitors to all the places you mention, and the highest satisfaction rating, judging by the "wows!", came from Sintra and the unlisted Obidos. You can combine Obidos with Caldas da Rainha (market town with an "interesting" line in pottery) Peniche (fishing town with a great Ataltic headland drive) and even go further up the coast to Nazare (another fishing town, another headland). No doubt you could fit in a quick diversion to an Alcobaca/Batalha.

The more devout guests appreciate Fatima, while the less devout ones love its tackiness.

Of your monumental sites, I prefer Tomar.

Pity you're missing Evora and the Alentejo.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you for the thoughts. It sounds like Sintra and Obidos were must-see places and the other three are easy stops that won't take too long.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Definitely add Óbidos to the list. Also, I like Nazaré. It's close to Óbidos so worth a detour.

I think all of that is doable in full two days.

I would leave Sintra for a day trip from Lisbon by train. It's a bit of a hassle to visit with a car. On the plus side, if you have a car, you can also add Cabo da Roca to Sintra, if visiting the western-most point of Europe is your thing.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thank you for the thoughts. It sounds like Sintra and Obidos were must-see places and the other three are easy stops that won't take too long.
Obidos has an attractive Pousada in the "castle": it would make a fine place to overnight on your short trip, well on the way to Nazare/Alcobaca/Batalha.

Pousadas were originally state-run hotels of historic interest or particular charm: they're now run on a much more commercial basis by the Pestana hotel group, but retain their charm.

http://www.pousadas.pt/historic-hote...directory.aspx
Old Jan 31, 2014, 2:16 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Originally Posted by Palal
Definitely add Óbidos to the list. Also, I like Nazaré. It's close to Óbidos so worth a detour.

I think all of that is doable in full two days.

I would leave Sintra for a day trip from Lisbon by train. It's a bit of a hassle to visit with a car. On the plus side, if you have a car, you can also add Cabo da Roca to Sintra, if visiting the western-most point of Europe is your thing.
I agree. Sintra is an easy day trip from Lisbon on the train. Very beautiful town in the hills. Train ride is about 40 min.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I heard the toll-freeways are pretty easy since they are expensive for locals to use regularly. Are police pretty strict about speed limits? I read that there are a lot of speed cameras around.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I heard the toll-freeways are pretty easy since they are expensive for locals to use regularly. Are police pretty strict about speed limits? I read that there are a lot of speed cameras around.
As far as I know, there are no stationary speed cameras on highways in Portugal. There are movable ones. This site has a forum and a nice ap for people to submit the location of stationary and mobile radars.

Motorway speedlimits are set at 120 km/h, but you'll often see people going 180-200 km/h in the left lane.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I am glad we were able to stop at Obidos before heading into Lisbon. Alcobaca and Tomar cathedrals were excellent stops. Batalha is under renovation and needs a good cleaning. We all really liked Porto. I think we liked it better than Lisbon. We drove through Coimbra and it was pouring rain and the University square was locked - but it was a weekend. So much for a stop and look.

The freeways were pretty empty and cops were nowhere to be seen. You could easily test a car's top speed on some of their highways - I was able to drive 120/130KM on the faster stretches and people still passed me. Glad we had a diesel 2015 Golf.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.