MAD Madrid connection help please?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)

I am booking an AA Oneworld Explorer award and one possible connection on our segments is LIN-MAD-MIA on our return flights. The LIN-MAD (Iberia) segment leaves us with a 1.5 hour connection time in MAD before the MAD-MIA (AA) segment. While I understand that I won't need to pass through customs, there is immigration control. Is this generally enough time as long all flights are on time? Or is it too much of a risk that I should book something else? I *believe* both flights are out of T4S.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I am booking an AA Oneworld Explorer award and one possible connection on our segments is LIN-MAD-MIA on our return flights. The LIN-MAD (Iberia) segment leaves us with a 1.5 hour connection time in MAD before the MAD-MIA (AA) segment. While I understand that I won't need to pass through customs, there is immigration control. Is this generally enough time as long all flights are on time? Or is it too much of a risk that I should book something else? I *believe* both flights are out of T4S.
Search is your friend. "MAD connection" generates multiple threads, including this one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain...d-airport.html
There's also this one from AA (as you're using American miles) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...adrid-mad.html
The MCT at Barajas for IB>AA at T4S is 1:30.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Oct 24, 2012 at 3:06 am Reason: added AA link and MCT
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:40 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
This is the info from IB about Schengen to Not-Schengen. It estimates that it should take 20-30 min if it's T4>T4S (most likely case, as few Schengen flights land in T4S.)
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Search is your friend. "MAD connection" generates multiple threads, including this one http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/spain...d-airport.html
There's also this one from AA (as you're using American miles) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...adrid-mad.html
The MCT at Barajas for IB>AA at T4S is 1:30.
I actually did read all those posts and did not believe it applied because they were going to be in different terminals T4S verus T4 instead of just strictly in T4S. But either way, the issue is now moot. The segment I needed never got released for the Oneworld Explorer Award in the timeframe that we needed. (It looks like it was released at somepoint...but never on AA.com since I was checking every 15 minutes for a period of 4 days...but then someone else held/booked 2 seats per the reservations agent...then released them per the next reservations agent...but the inventory never came back.)
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Is this generally enough time as long all flights are on time? Or is it too much of a risk that I should book something else? I *believe* both flights are out of T4S.
If you are sure that incoming IB flight arrives at T4S, and assuming it was on time, then you should have sufficient time to make your connection. T4S has RSU gates. AA may be departing from the U gates. Worst case you walk from R2 to U74 (from one end to the other) for about 20-25 minutes.
My recent experience (limited, 3 lights) with IB was 2 flights were late, one by an hour (just did not take off on time). That one resulted in my missing my connection (T4S -> T4).

Only you can evaluate the risk factor involved.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Doable. Have done connections in 1 hour. Wouldn't recommend it but be ready to walk fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.