Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Free Cargo Shipment + 2 RR Credits for Opening Southwest Cargo Account

Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:50 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC

Interesting promotion for opening a cargo account, see this page.

Originally Posted by Southwest Cargo
Here's An Offer That'll Make You Ship Your Pants.

We want to show you what Southwest Airlines Cargo can do for your business.

Just fill out the short form below and well email you a Southwest Airlines Cargo Account application. Not only will Southwest Airlines waive the new account fee*, we will also give you two bonus Rapid Rewards credits and send you one complimentary NFG (Next Flight Guaranteed) air waybill valid up to 200 pounds upon approval of your account! But, act fast as this offer expires on September 30, 2009.

If you have any questions about this offer or shipping on Southwest Airlines Cargo, please call our Cargo Customer Care Center at 1-800-533-1222.

*New Account fee includes a TSA required site validation. Rapid Rewards bonus credits do not count toward A-List qualification. Bonus credits will post to your account within 4 to 6 weeks of approval of your Cargo Account. All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply.
Not sure what a "TSA required site validation" involves though, anyone have any experience with that?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by Beckles
Not sure what a "TSA required site validation" involves though, anyone have any experience with that?
I believe this is referring to TSA's Known Shipper program.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
http://www.swacargo.com/swacargo/acc...rAccount.shtml

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires that Southwest Airlines may only accept cargo weighing 16 ounces or more from Known Shippers or TSA-approved Indirect Air Carriers. In order to ship cargo with Southwest Airlines, you must become a Known Shipper by completing the account application process.

Once your application is approved, we will contact you to set up an inspection of your residence or business. There will be a minimum, non-refundable $50 fee for the inspection. (This fee is mileage-based and may be higher). Once your account is created, we will provide you with a Southwest Airlines Cargo Account or Shipper ID number. You will need to present this number when tendering your shipment to us.

Note: The TSA requires a seven day waiting period from the date of the application before the first shipment may be tendered on a new account.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:29 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Bizzare. Do you want the TSA coming to your house? What on earth would they be looking for anyway, evil-doers hidden under your bed?

Gee, I wonder how the TSA will respond if a few thousand FlyerTalkers apply for this all at once?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: SWA
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
...Gee, I wonder how the TSA will respond if a few thousand FlyerTalkers apply for this all at once?
Longer lines at the closest airport to your house. They will have to shut down a scanner or two to get qualified people to go through your stuff.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:10 am

Programs: *G, KLM Plat, Avis PC, SPG Plt, Hyt Plt
Let me get this "free" offer right

Am I understanding this correctly? With this offer, one would still have to pay the minimum $50 fee for TSA approval. Or is that waived?
Old Aug 23, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: WN CP
You understand correctly. $50 minimum fee.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
What on earth would they be looking for anyway, evil-doers hidden under your bed?
It's their new Grope @ Home program.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:06 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
It's also a test run for new airport fees. Since the $2.50-$5 fee for being manhandled at the airport is so popular (I mean, 100% of us pay it so happily) they are now test marketing the same service at home at a very reasonable price increase.

If someone does this just for the credits, that is a special type of insanity. However, being Flyertalkers, I would not be too surprised either as I have done the flights to nowhere for miles many, many times. More TSA.. I gotta draw the line somewhere.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:39 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
You understand correctly. $50 minimum fee.
Actually - the offer states:

Not only will Southwest Airlines waive the new account fee* . . .

and then follows up the * with:

*New Account fee includes a TSA required site validation.

This indicates that the site validation is waived as part of the new account fee.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
This shows that the person writing this at WN needs to be more precise. My guess is that if its a TSA, you will have to pay $50. Still, this is a good deal because paying $50 for a free shipment is not a bad price. However, it wouldn't be so good a deal just to get 2 credits
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
You know, I first read it and thought the fee was waived then read here and saw it went the other way so I stopped.

I actually could have a need and have paid SWA Cargo fees in the past to have small trees & plants shipped up from FLL without freezing.

I reckon I'll call tomorrow and get the scoop...
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by TWA A380
This shows that the person writing this at WN needs to be more precise.
I guarantee you that the 'person at WN' never thought that anyone would actually look at his writing let alone discuss it. Only at FT
Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:10 pm

Fee is totally waived

Just got this email followup.. now what does the TSA inspection involve?

--

Don't forget, the deadline to submit your Southwest Airlines Account Application is September 30, 2009. Once your account has been approved, well then send you one complimentary NFG (Next Flight Guaranteed) airbill valid up to 200 pounds.*

Please note that a site validation is a TSA requirement for all new accounts. By taking advantage of this offer, the site validation fee will be waived. There is absolutely no cost to you to open your new Southwest Airlines Cargo account.

If you have any questions about this offer or shipping on Southwest Airlines Cargo, please call our Cargo Customer Care Center at 1-800-533-1222.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 3:24 pm
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
this is from our Cargo web site. In order to ship, you have to be a known shipper:
Known Shippers
A Known Shipper is an individual or business that has an established reputation in the shipping community and is offering their own goods for transportation. To become a Known Shipper, you must complete one of the two applications below and provide us with additional supporting documentation upon request.

Once we approve your application, we will contact you to arrange an inspection of your residence or place of business. There will be a minimum, non-refundable fee of $50 for this inspection. (This fee is mileage-based and may be higher.) Once your account is established, we will provide a Shipper ID number to you. You will bring this number with you when shipping with Southwest Airlines Cargo.

My guess is that the TSA looks at where you store your shipments, access to those shipments while at your house or facility, stuff like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.