Wiki Posts
Search

Old Question on Ticketless Fund Expiration

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2008, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Old Question on Ticketless Fund Expiration

I wanted to see if any updates on Ticketless Travel Funds that will expire.

Still the $50 to extend. As I have only about $66 that expires mid OCT - better to try to sell at 20 % discount? I may use, but looking for options in advance.

Other options?

Yes, I did see FAQ -- but maybe new or other info. Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2008, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
I wanted to see if any updates on Ticketless Travel Funds that will expire.

Still the $50 to extend. As I have only about $66 that expires mid OCT - better to try to sell at 20 % discount? I may use, but looking for options in advance.

Other options?

Yes, I did see FAQ -- but maybe new or other info. Thanks
Last week I had a $217 fund that were to expire on July 1st (couldn't find time to use it in the Spring) and yep, it cost $50 to extend it.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
Sell it to me.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:54 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

The several times I have browsed ebay auctions for Southwest ticketless funds bargains, I've come away with the impression that most auctions end up closing awfully close to face value. Exceptions seem to be when the expiry date is extraordinarily close or the seller's feedback rating is low. I have seen non-auction closed sales that were great bargains because a seller set a surprisingly low buy-it-now price, so don't make that mistake if you sell on ebay. (For buyers, caveat emptor, it it's too good to be true, etc., etc.) I have not run through the process of calculating the net yield to the seller after ebay and paypal fees, though, and those are not trivial. Craigslist could be a cheaper option.

Are you an experienced ebay or craigslist seller? If so, as soon as you have a clear idea that you won't be able to use the funds, an ebay listing may be one of your better alternatives.

I should note for future googlers who come across this thread that it can be a fairly complex process to decide the best course of action under particular circumstances. (Somebody should create a decision tree to help folks through it. @:-))

Editorially I would add that if Southwest had adopted a less onerous fee structure (10%, for example), my advice to everyone would be that they should happily pay such a modest extension fee to our favorite airline. It bothers me a little bit to have to be in a position of recommending a course of action that sends revenue to ebay instead of to Southwest. It virtually kills me to recommend letting paypal, of whom I have an exceptionally low opinion, to collect even a cent that could have gone to Southwest. Not everyone despises paypal though, so to give honest advice in the face of the exorbitant (for low dollar amount) fee from Southwest, I have to say that ebay and paypal are often the best option.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 6:39 am

Call WN and ask for a free on-time extension.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 7:30 am

OzzyOzzie, or anyone who has recently extended expiring funds, what exactly did you receive in exchange for the $50 fee? I've not yet had to extend funds but a friend who did so (before there was a fee) received a LUV voucher with a 12/31 expiration date. Is that still what Southwest issues for expiring funds, or do they just set a new expiration date on the existing PNR? Will they deduct the $50 from the balance or do you have to kick in new funds? Is the new expiration date one year from the original expiration date, or one year from the date the fee is paid? I'd like to update the FAQ with some of these details but have no experience or knowledge on this topic.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by ftnoob
The several times I have browsed ebay auctions for Southwest ticketless funds bargains, I've come away with the impression that most auctions end up closing awfully close to face value.
Have you noticed auctions like this one? In the past few months this particular seller has sold over a hundred eBay auctions for SWA credits - they sell nothing else - and I estimate that they have liquidated somewhere between $15K to $20K in Southwest funds during this time. Their auctions typically sell within only 2 hours of being listed. Where they are coming up with so much Ticketless Travel Funds is still up for conjecture.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 7:10 pm

OzzyOzzie, or anyone who has recently extended expiring funds, what exactly did you receive in exchange for the $50 fee? I've not yet had to extend funds but a friend who did so (before there was a fee) received a LUV voucher with a 12/31 expiration date. Is that still what Southwest issues for expiring funds, or do they just set a new expiration date on the existing PNR? Will they deduct the $50 from the balance or do you have to kick in new funds? Is the new expiration date one year from the original expiration date, or one year from the date the fee is paid? I'd like to update the FAQ with some of these details but have no experience or knowledge on this topic.
Receiving my voucher VIA snail mail I haven't received it yet (this week or next it should arrive) and it should be the previous amount - $50
Old Jul 6, 2008, 8:30 pm

Thanks; when it arrives please let us know the rest of the details. Taking the fee from the balance is better than requiring payment of fresh funds. Snail mail delivery is disappointing.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 4:18 pm

Thanks; when it arrives please let us know the rest of the details. Taking the fee from the balance is better than requiring payment of fresh funds. Snail mail delivery is disappointing.
Received it today - it looks like they may have rounded down as I thought I had $217 and change, but just $167 on the voucher. Those odd cents could add up Voucher has a number and secuity code, AKA gift card, etc. Old expiration date 07/01/08, new expiration date, 01/01/09
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
So a 6 mo. extension for $50. Guess that is ok, but thought it should be 1 yr. Still, for those with smaller amounts, under $55, no value. Better to sell on an auction board or Craigslist. Probably better to do that anyway unless Value is over $400.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.