Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable! Just book Std Award for Thanksgiving Wed-Sun long-haul!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:58 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

I just about fainted when I found award space for a long-haul flight tomorrow AND a return Sunday morning. It was only as a last resort that I even checked those dates. Saturday returns were booked, and I was expecting that I'd have to travel on Thanksgiving day outbound.

The two busiest travel days of the year, booked on standard awards. That has NEVER happened to me. Wow.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I just about fainted when I found award space for a long-haul flight tomorrow AND a return Sunday morning. It was only as a last resort that I even checked those dates. Saturday returns were booked, and I was expecting that I'd have to travel on Thanksgiving day outbound.

The two busiest travel days of the year, booked on standard awards. That has NEVER happened to me. Wow.
Congratulations!

I am not totally suprised, as I have had similar experiences, since this summer. It seems like additional standard award space is opened, when x? seats are still available, a few days prior to departure. Perhaps the philosophy is that it's better to fill the seats, than not.

For those who are traveling on Thanksgiving Day...

Cheers! When you’re onboard during upcoming holidays, enjoy a beer, wine, or liquor of your choice on the house—if you’re of age, of course.

November 28 THANKSGIVING
Happy Thanksgiving!
Old Nov 26, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Originally Posted by mke9499
Congratulations!

I am not totally suprised, as I have had similar experiences, since this summer. It seems like additional standard award space is opened, when x? seats are still available, a few days prior to departure. Perhaps the philosophy is that it's better to fill the seats, than not.

For those who are traveling on Thanksgiving Day...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Yeah that's true. But if you don't mention you want a free drink, you get CHARGED! That's what happened to friends of mine on Halloween. One even had a drink coupon and they took that, too. Meanwhile on the same flight, a friend of mine saw the note on the menu that the drinks were free on Halloween and we asked and received. We weren't sitting with the others.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:53 am

Can you get a free drink on Airtran operated flights or just Southwest? My first leg tomorrow is Airtran and the second is Southwest.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by dangw20
Can you get a free drink on Airtran operated flights or just Southwest? My first leg tomorrow is Airtran and the second is Southwest.
It doesn't hurt to ask
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:23 am

I don't get it...what is a standard award when any seat can be booked with points? I thought you just have to spend more points for anytime or business select.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by hoopsbwc34
I don't get it...what is a standard award when any seat can be booked with points? I thought you just have to spend more points for anytime or business select.
Standard Awards are the "old" type of rewards that Southwest used before they moved to the point system.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by hoopsbwc34
A standard award can be generated when transferring 16 AirTran A+ Rewards credits over to Southwest, so 16 FL credits = 1 WN roundtrip standard award. Standard awards are capacity controlled.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 8:47 am

For peopel who have a lot of Airtran Credis it can be very usefule and sometime you can actually do better using a standard award that using points. 1 one way flight = 9600 points. Airtran has sometimes also been converting vouchers for free flights into credits which can then be used on Suthwest. And of course you can use the two setp to extend expiring Southwest credits/awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.