Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

FAA Relaxes Rules on In-flight Electronic Use

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=15254

So...I expect WN to incorporate this...in 2015.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:50 am

The press release says:

You can also continue to use short-range Bluetooth accessories, like wireless keyboards.
But I thought the FAA currently bans bluetooth devices? At a minimum, they're banned by Southwest.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:20 am

On my LAX -> MDW FL flight back in August there were a lot of electronic devices that were never powered off. Heck some guy on his cell phone was talking over the FA telling people to turn off their devices
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:15 am

From USA Today:
Delta Air Lines spokesman Paul Skrbec said the airline already has preformed the required tolerance tests on all of its aircraft and has submitted the necessary paperwork to the FAA for its approval, so that passengers might be able to use electronics as early as Friday, pending FAA approval.

"All of our aircraft are ready to go," he says, adding that the airline is now awaiting word from the FAA. "That could come as early as today for us."

DL is on top of it. Hope WN is too! This shouldn't require anything related to their IT system so...
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
I have fallen asleep with my iPod on and our plane never crashed when landing.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: WN A-List
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYAq-7sOzXQ
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is this permitted yet on Southwest flights? Delta has already started allowing use below 10,000 feet.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:25 am

Not yet. And no projected date yet. Here is WN's official statement:

We will be working through a FAA evaluation process before we can allow portable electronic devices to be used below 10,000ft. Please stay tuned for more info.
One would think the all 737 fleet might make the process relatively easy.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is this permitted yet on Southwest flights? Delta has already started allowing use below 10,000 feet.
The FA on my flight today announced to the passengers that the Southwest fleet was not certified yet and, thus, the 10k altitude rule still applied.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Costs WN money to get certified. No monetary benefits to certification. Bet it is a while before we see this happen.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:05 am

Southwest is adopting a wait-and-see posture:

“Today is the first day we’ve had exposure to the change and seen what work needs to been done in order to submit to the FAA for approval. It will take us time to get that together.” - Brandy King, Southwest Airlines
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Seems Southwest is the only airline that didn't know about this ahead of time.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:28 pm

I understand that the VP of Customer Electronics and the VP of Culture have convened a study group to determine next steps and whether to object to this change. There is a concern that Customers will no longer listen and pay attention to the award winning PA's and singing from the flight attendants.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Southwest is adopting a wait-and-see posture:
Typical Southwest Ostrich/Walled Garden behavior!

Obliviously Southwest has failed to read the WSJ or any of a number of industry publications.

Almost immediately on the FAA announcement CNN reported

Delta Air Lines and JetBlue wasted no time announcing Thursday morning that both airlines have filed plans with the FAA to allow for use of approved electronic devices below 10,000 feet on their flights. Both carriers had representatives on the FAA advisory panel.
Southwest likes to say:

Southwest Airlines is now America's largest low-fare carrier, serving more Customers domestically than any other airline
When are they going to start acting like it?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by kerflumexed
I understand that the VP of Customer Electronics and the VP of Culture have convened a study group to determine next steps and whether to object to this change. There is a concern that Customers will no longer listen and pay attention to the award winning PA's and singing from the flight attendants.
And all of our comments will no doubt be included in the famous Monthly Report to Dear Leaders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.