Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

If you were waiting to transfer Club Carlson to WN, you've just been hosed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

Immediate,unannounced devaluation of almost 50%!

Just found on Club Carlson website:

"REDEEM POINTS FOR AIRLINE MILES

Redeem your Gold PointsŪ for miles with over 20 airline partners.

Points Airline Exchange
2,000 points 200 miles/points
50,000 points 5,000 miles/points
100,000 points 10,000 miles/points"

The latter was 100K > 18K yesterday.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:42 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Carlson earned a reputation for devaluation with zero to minimal notice 12 years ago in the Goldpoints/ValueMags fiasco. Never trust Carlson.

Carlson's move is particularly harsh given that they just sold a lot of points for cash in the Amex Daily Getaway. Indeed that sale may have motivated this devaluation. Carlson has a history of reacting harshly when transfer redemptions create a significant burden, as if they never expect members to use the transfer feature. Now I'm glad I passed up last the 50k offer for one night's stay.

Starwood killed its transfer to Southwest within months of its start due to the change to RR 2.0, but Starwood gave notice of the end of the transfer option.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List
Wow...I'm sure glad I didn't go for the 100k Carlson points for cash offer from the Amex Daily Getaway.

I'm less than 12, 000 points away from CP qualification for 2014...earned mostly from travel, CC spend, and shopping. I should just sit tight and not be impatient. So yes, I'm really glad I missed out on that one!

Last edited by drooley; Jul 2, 2013 at 11:39 am Reason: Posting before first cup of coffee!
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
A few people have whacked them on Facebook (many fewer than I had imagined would). Here is their response:

"Thanks for reaching out. Airline redemptions are an important part of the Club Carlson program, and we’ve adjusted our redemption levels to continue to offer a competitive and enjoyable variety of redemption options. Read more about the ways you can redeem points here:"

You can write Kate at [email protected]
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
This is par for the course. I have low expectations of Club Carlson and yet they keep finding ways to sink to new lows.

To be honest, the transfer rate wasn't good before the devaluation and is even worse now. I'm curious at how many people this really affects? I would use it only if I really needed the miles quickly and had no other way to get it.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlemookie
To be honest, the transfer rate wasn't good before the devaluation and is even worse now. I'm curious at how many people this really affects? I would use it only if I really needed the miles quickly and had no other way to get it.
Your curiosity can be satisfied in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/club-...ion-rates.html (in the Club Carlson forum)

Multiple people in that thread are explaining why it mattered to them.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by littlemookie

I moved 300K CC to UA during UA's hotel points conversion promo. I thought that it was a fair deal. It is not ok to change your points to miles overnight by devaluing it by 44% without any prior notice.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:53 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
You can thank every blogger and travel writer under the sun for publicizing the relatively decent points to miles ratios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.