Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Are "Less Flexible" WGA fares in our future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite

Doesn't sound good:

“We’ll have some changes. Again, stay tuned, more details to come on all of that. I’m not saying it’s necessarily going to be a change fee. But we’ll certainly start moving in the directions to tighten some of the restrictions on our lowest priced fares sometime in 2013,”

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ay-fares.html/
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I am guessing (hoping?) it is the post flight cancellation fee already discussed and mentioned at the end of the article.

And sometime in 2013, it will begin a new no-show policy that charges a fee to people who don’t fly and don’t cancel in advance.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Gary just keeps on wanting me to fly Delta more. I understand the no-show issue, but if he starts fiddling with when we have to cancel by, or how long our TTF is good for, or what the TTF can be applied to...
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:57 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I am guessing (hoping?) it is the post flight cancellation fee already discussed and mentioned at the end of the article.
Starting a several years ago Southwest has run occasional opinion surveys asking about a deeply discounted fare class with heavy change fees and slightly less discounted fares with light change fees. AA is now offering something similar.

Although management appears to be weighing change fees constantly, there's no indication prior to this story that Southwest is preparing to make a move other than to impose a no-show fee.

Like Ink, I fear that the "no-show" fee will turn out to be a change fee if you don't cancel some days ahead of flight time. If that happens I'll be upset that Southwest spun us with a benign characterization of a major devaluation.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Like Ink, I fear that the "no-show" fee will turn out to be a change fee if you don't cancel some days ahead of flight time. If that happens I'll be upset that Southwest spun us with a benign characterization of a major devaluation.
If that happens, the combination of a backdoor change fee and Devolve seating means that WN's value drops precipitously to me. It'll be cheaper for me to buy up to BS from time to time than to maintain A-List.

At this point, Devolve on a full 737-700 isn't really any better than an A seat on an EMB-140, so if there's going to be a change fee.... I may as well fly AA or DL even though it means spending more time at ORD than MDW.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Gary just keeps on wanting me to fly Delta more. I understand the no-show issue, but if he starts fiddling with when we have to cancel by, or how long our TTF is good for, or what the TTF can be applied to...
That's already started; TTF is now limited to the original passenger. Another minor devaluation: It now costs $100 to reissue expired funds (was $75, was earlier $50). All these little things add up, but perhaps not in the way WN expects
Old Mar 4, 2013, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ursine1
That's already started; TTF is now limited to the original passenger. Another minor devaluation: It now costs $100 to reissue expired funds (was $75, was earlier $50). All these little things add up, but perhaps not in the way WN expects
I don't manage TTF for others, so the whole 'original passenger' thing is something I never remember. I'm worried about nonsense like "it's reuseable only for 6 months, and only on the same city pair" or "it's only reuseable once, and if you cancel that second ticket, the funds are gone."

Now, I don't think WN IT can implement those kinds of things. But still...
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:25 pm

I don't manage TTF for others, so the whole 'original passenger' thing is something I never remember. I'm worried about nonsense like "it's reuseable only for 6 months, and only on the same city pair" or "it's only reuseable once, and if you cancel that second ticket, the funds are gone."

Now, I don't think WN IT can implement those kinds of things. But still...
I agree; I can unfortunately see nonsense like that becoming new policy.

The same passenger limitation is an issue for travelers like families, and for businesses who book (WGA) for employees.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing

I don't understand(?). I'm not familiar with Delta, but AS makes me pay 75 to change outside first 24 hours of booking......Delta?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by nsx

Personally.....I think if you simply never show up for a flight or even worse - check-in get your boarding assignment and still don't show.....then there should be something to pay. Heck that is revenue that SW is out - the possibly could have sold to someone else. It is just curtious.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antinseattle
I don't understand(?). I'm not familiar with Delta, but AS makes me pay 75 to change outside first 24 hours of booking......Delta?
Same... but that difference right now leads me to book WGA fares on Southwest to lock in cheaper prices 21-28 days out, and then fiddle with one direction or another at 7 or 2 days out and pay the higher fare but no change fee for that one-way. Or just cancel the trip completely if it doesn't work out. So adding in the probability of a change fee on DL, it's usually cheaper in the long run to fly Southwest on WGA tickets.

For example, I booked MCI-MDW in January as my return flight home for attending the FT BBQ Do in April. If there was a $75 change fee, I would not have booked Southwest because I'm not 100% sure if I'm going. I would wait until 10-14 and book whichever airline was cheapest at the time.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdurette
Personally.....I think if you simply never show up for a flight or even worse - check-in get your boarding assignment and still don't show.....then there should be something to pay. Heck that is revenue that SW is out - the possibly could have sold to someone else. It is just curtious.
I don't disagree with you on that one. It's like the 4pm/6pm rule for hotels.

But if that was to become "7 days in advance" or even "24 hours in advance," that would be a serious problem to how I use Southwest.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
With the storm hitting Chicago tomorrow, there is a reasonable chance my flight out will be canceled. No problem. But I book 1-ways. I have a return on Wednesday. They sure better not make a rule where my outbound is canceled, but I can't get full credit for a return on a different PNR.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
With the storm hitting Chicago tomorrow, there is a reasonable chance my flight out will be canceled. No problem. But I book 1-ways. I have a return on Wednesday. They sure better not make a rule where my outbound is canceled, but I can't get full credit for a return on a different PNR.
I've already had that happen; it's one of the problems with booking one-ways. My return trip wasn't protected, so I couldn't cancel online. It required a call to CS (and escalation to a supervisor) to get them to issue the credit.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by nsx
+1.

At this point, Devolve on a full 737-700 isn't really any better than an A seat on an EMB-140, so if there's going to be a change fee.... I may as well fly AA or DL even though it means spending more time at ORD than MDW.
I'm already flying Alaska way more than last year. A QX Dash 8 is more comfortable than a full Devolve 73G on certain length flights (I'm still not crazy about taking one from say PDX to SFO or SMF). The WN -800s are great, but I'm beginning to really weigh my options this year. Especially since a move up to Phoenix is in the cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.