Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Gary Kelly: "Never say never" on bag fees

Just a quick post of the link; haven't played the video:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100403693
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
He really knows how to run a company. I've lost all respect I had for SWA, "never say never" really?!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I suggest WN remove the "FREE BAGS FLY HERE" advertising on their aircraft.

I bet we'll see "one bag free" from WN before they go all in to checked bag fees.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Too bad we won't see any fare relief if and when bag fees are "unbundled".
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
I suggest WN remove the "FREE BAGS FLY HERE" advertising on their aircraft.

I bet we'll see "one bag free" from WN before they go all in to checked bag fees.
Yeah, I can't see them going from two to zero free. And I could see them losing a lot of customers if they decide to go that route. Thats a big part of what they are known for and I don't see how they can just give that up.

With the EBCI, and the new 'upgraded boarding', they should be making money from those fees. Hopefully that will be enough and won't extend to bags too.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
They have trimed the fat as much as they can...

Nothing wrong with a profit, it is right up there with breathing...

Carrying a bunch of extra weight cost fuel...most of us carry too much extra weight...

Did hate to see the IND Chicago run go....
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Bags Fly Free may have meant something when most people paid for bags on full service carriers. At this point, most major carriers do not charge bag fees for customers with their credit cards, have elite status with one of their partners. So while I have elite status with AA, I do not pay to check bags on AS, my wife has a UA credit card, so no fees there either.

The other reality is that WN's fares are no longer the lowest, so if someone was to selecting a carrier based on price alone, adds in bag fees, there are other available options.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by diver858
Bags Fly Free may have meant something when most people paid for bags on full service carriers. At this point, most major carriers do not charge bag fees for customers with their credit cards, have elite status with one of their partners. So while I have elite status with AA, I do not pay to check bags on AS, my wife has a UA credit card, so no fees there either.

The other reality is that WN's fares are no longer the lowest, so if someone was to selecting a carrier based on price alone, adds in bag fees, there are other available options.
You have a valid point. I would assume IF this was implemented that the fees would be waived for A listers. As far as the SWA CC, I still say it is one of the worst travel CCs out there right now, aside from the occasional 50k bonus. The benefits it offers when compared to AA, UA, and even Delta are minimal.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:23 pm

Just watched the local news. Talk about scaring customers about bag fee's. They just said WN wouldn't add bag fee's this year but they are considering it because things are crazy all over the industry and they may have to start charging.

With that said, Kelly is looking for customer feedback as to whether have to have bundles, other fee's etc. WN is slowing turning into a legacy carrier. First it was different fare structures, then EBCI, A List, $40 buy up and now maybe bag fee's. Dont get me wrong, they should make a profit but too many changes at once may drive people away.

Folks fly WN because they are a good airline with a good schedule. The big thing, whether a leisure traveler or a business traveler, people fly them because they don't have a baggage fee. The next thing you may see would be assigned seating. Who knows.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Truthfully, I think they should have adopted a one free bag only (like B6) back before they bet the farm on the Bags (plural) Fly Free campaign. One bag gives everybody that wiggle room even with the strict carry on security restrictions while making the people who over pack pay for the privilege.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:52 pm

Prediction: First a fee for second bags, but $5-$10 lower than everyone else. Then, eventually, a fee for first bags as well, also slightly lower in price than the legacies, and with an exception for A-Listers and BS tickets. Since most business travelers don't check a bag anyway, this won't "cost" WN much, but will give them a way of positioning it. Either will probably be announced in conjunction with the new baggage tracking system.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Prediction: Bags fly free v2.0 will mean "one checked bag upto 50# and one carry on bag in the overhead bin. I'll also predict that A+ customers will get a 2nd bag free, while A- customers will get a 2nd bag for half price.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by satman40
But, as you said, WN has to make a profit and IND-MDW must have been really unprofitable.

I, too, think that WN will go to "one bag free" for the general population and "one extra bag" for A-Listers/BS fares. Slowly but surely inching toward a legacy carrier...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
Total bummer indeed.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:20 pm

This will make the overloaded cabins even worse. Even with free baggage I know a lot of people who dont want the hassle of checking them in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.