Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too Many Companion Passes?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond

Just got this in an email:

Congratulations again on re-qualifying for Rapid RewardsŪ Companion Pass status!

We wanted to let you know we have been experiencing higher than anticipated re-qualification volume, and there will be a delay in delivering your 2013 Companion Pass card. We estimate that you should receive your new Companion Pass card in early to mid-February.

Your current Companion Pass status will not be impacted. You can continue to use your Companion Pass status, and you should not be affected when traveling during this period. Additionally, any 2013 Companion Pass Qualifying Points* earned during this period will continue to accrue and post to your account.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
I got it, too. Fascinating.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
I'm sure it's not the number of CPs, to over load a system, that number would need to be huge.....I just think the system isn't buit to start sending out cards jan 1...... I earned CP in July, like many others, they COULD have popped out a 13' card in August, if I was running the show
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I took exactly 3 CP RT Trips last year and had a different companion each time, each one got the personalized card a few weeks later, long after the trip I used it for.

Can imagine what use they physically used for except to impress a new girl friend, or like I did, rub in my (almost grown) son's face (jokingly) that he had been replaced by a new girl friend!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:07 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
We wanted to let you know we have been experiencing higher than anticipated re-qualification volume

I guess this means that the CP deal has now drawn management's attention.

This could also explain the slow activation of CP's earned in the first weeks of the new year.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Not to turn this into an OT conversation but I'm sure the number of people getting CPs went up drastically after the publicity of the 50k CPQP awarded from CC bonuses. That subject was run into the ground by all travel sources.

I've always re-qualified based on flying but this year I will need a bonus to help my numbers, hopefully the terms will not change in the coming year.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by longhorn11
Not to turn this into an OT conversation but I'm sure the number of people getting CPs went up drastically after the publicity of the 50k CPQP awarded from CC bonuses. That subject was run into the ground by all travel sources.

I've always re-qualified based on flying but this year I will need a bonus to help my numbers, hopefully the terms will not change in the coming year.
I expect imposition of a minimum number of flight points to earn a CP. That's what I'd do if I were running the program.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I expect imposition of a minimum number of flight points to earn a CP. That's what I'd do if I were running the program.
Interesting idea ^. IMO it cheapens the CP to have it issued to so many people that have never stepped foot on a SWA plane. I know that will probably aggravate a lot of the Chase CC holders but it's only fair. I think even a 15-20 flight minimum would make a huge difference.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by nsx
Great idea. That would certainly incentivise me to book more on WN. Have been testing the waters elsewhere because they almost doubled the price my weekly route compared to last year.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by nsx
For ease of use, the CP shoud be 110k, but 70k should be flown----ala A list +.....or you have to be A list + to earn CP...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
Originally Posted by antinseattle
For ease of use, the CP shoud be 110k, but 70k should be flown----ala A list +.....or you have to be A list + to earn CP...
I like this idea...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I wonder how dramatic a drop off the CP rate would be if they canned the 50k card promos...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP

Why is WN even bothering with sending physical CP cards since they serve no real purpose? I've never been asked to present it in my many years as a CP holder. Secondly, the card can't be used for priority lines at check-in or screening. Finally, WN could save the expense involved with the fancy mailers, printing the cards, postage, etc... Especially with folks making multiple changes to their designated companion throughout the CP period and receiving a new card/mailing at each change. Last year, for some reason I received two duplicate mailings/cards each time I changed my companion.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:13 pm

Please explain to me why anyone would want it to be more difficult for WN customers to obtain the CP? Unless you work for WN or are a shareholder and you feel more CP's mean lower profits, I don't understand this logic. How do more CP's being obtained affect those that want a higher threshold for the CP? If there are less CP's does that equate to lower fares and possibly more seat availability? Or are there other reasons I am missing?

Just trying to figure out the motivation of those wanting WN to raise the bar to obtain a CP.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by MrBill64
Please explain to me why anyone would want it to be more difficult for WN customers to obtain the CP? Unless you work for WN or are a shareholder and you feel more CP's mean lower profits, I don't understand this logic. How do more CP's being obtained affect those that want a higher threshold for the CP? If there are less CP's does that equate to lower fares and possibly more seat availability? Or are there other reasons I am missing?

Just trying to figure out the motivation of those wanting WN to raise the bar to obtain a CP.
Let me break it down numbers wise (completely made up numbers btw)...

2010 - 100k CP holders, mostly achieved through flying/cc spending.
2011 - 200k CP holders, mostly achieved through flying/cc spending/sign up bonuses for a relatively small amount of people that know the game.
2012 - 800k CP holders, mostly achieved through CC bonuses/spending.

If SWA management notices a huge increase in the amount of CP holders they might be looking for ways to close loopholes. We know they monitor this site among others and I'm sure they're aware of the fact that a lot of CP holders never got on a plane last year. Their IT systems plus Chase's reporting process make it very hard to distinguish, so it goes through as CPQP.

As with a lot of things that have recently been publicized over and over again by bloggers, Miles Buzz, etc., these things have always been there if you need it. Once they are gone, they are gone for good. I've posted before that moderation is key for things like this to remain an option but if you have someone sign themselves, their sister/brother, father/mother-in-law, etc. up for a CP then eventually this is going to close.

Maybe it's just me but when I'm flying 75-100 segments a year I like to think of it as being my reward for putting up with airports, TSA, other pax, etc. When someone next to me signed up for 2 Chase cards and has the same privilege I achieved, it doesn't sit right.

Some may agree, some may not.

Last edited by longhorn11; Jan 17, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.