Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Fall Travel Sale - $49 $ 99 $139 OW - 72 Hours Only!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:56 am
Original Poster

http://www.southwest.com/html/promot...sale-2012.html
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Thanks. Is the distance for the low fare bucket longer than usual? I thought MDW-MCI is usually in the second bucket, but this time it is in the low fare bucket.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Thanks, I was waiting for a promotion but my dates are in the blackout list
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: HH Silver
Bummer, cant use the Kraft 15% off promo code with these.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by peroorim
Thanks, I was waiting for a promotion but my dates are in the blackout list
All my Friday's are out and only one of four cities I need for the dates is included. Oh well, it beats the standard Tuesday-Wednesday we have been getting. (Or is it Wednesday-Thursday? Either way it misses a lot of business travel like mine.)

I did change one flight (out of ten scheduled) for a quick $20.

Gotta reschedule my CP now that it made me cancel. Arrrgh!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Fridays and Sundays are out.

Even on the few valid days for the promo, it doesn't appear that the legacies have matched it. I'm pretty sure they've matched at least some of these types of promos in the past...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: DL, WN
Originally Posted by pinniped
Fridays and Sundays are out.

Even on the few valid days for the promo, it doesn't appear that the legacies have matched it. I'm pretty sure they've matched at least some of these types of promos in the past...
It usually takes them a day to match...
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:51 am

I got a second email from WN today, too. There is another promotion with fall discounts that aren't quite as much as the 49/99/139 sale but still considerable.

Among them, surprising to me, was Philly to Pittsburgh for $60. Before getting all excited that the route was returning, I disocvered that the flight runs once or twice a day and only 5+ hours, via MDW, which means it is faster to drive it (or megabus, even).

Not sure why any customer would pay $60 one way to fly 5 hours (with a stopover in Chicago) when the bus to downtown costs half that or less, runs at least 3 times a day, and goes point to point instead of between airports. Pittsburgh's airport is in the middle of nowhere, nearly 45 minutes from the city. Surprised that southwest still offers this pairing at all, let alone puts it on sale below the price of a PHL-MDW ticket (has the potential for cannibalizing revenue on the more lucrative MDW seats). Are they trying a ploy to see how much they can get the legacies to drop their fares - even though no one in their right mind ought to take these flights? Unless maybe you have unlimited rapid rewards points to burn through, or live/work AT the airport, who would ever sign up for such a flight?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by launcher
I got a second email from WN today, too. There is another promotion with fall discounts that aren't quite as much as the 49/99/139 sale but still considerable.

Among them, surprising to me, was Philly to Pittsburgh for $60.
Odd.

If you intend to fly PHL-MDW (many of which flights are $138 for some unknown reason), just buy PHL-PIT and get off in the middle.

Of course, it doesn't work going back.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:30 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by lougord99
Is the distance for the low fare bucket longer than usual? I thought MDW-MCI is usually in the second bucket, but this time it is in the low fare bucket.
They don't use the same breakdown every time. In fact the number of tiers isn't always the same (some of these distance-based fares have had three tiers, some have had four). One time AUS-MSY, usually a very expensive fare, was in the second tier making it not especially low, another time it was in the lowest tier and it was an awesome deal. (Thanks to this sale's "non-stop flights only" restriction, AUS-MSY isn't even included.) I remember one sale where the first tier was 450 miles. As AUS-MSY is 444 miles and did not make the lowest tier cut at least once, the cutoff has probably been as low as 400 or 425 miles.

I didn't read closely, but I didn't see any mention of "anniversary" on the sale page. Is that sale still to come?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
How often are these distance based sales and is it held at around the same time generally each year? I ask as for the past 2 years I have noticed a similar sale just before or after Halloween.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Seems this sale is not for all markets as in the past?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:00 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by boycruz
Seems this sale is not for all markets as in the past?
yeah.. kinda sucks.. we have a family trip to Orlando planned for October.. But BWI-MCO is not available for this promo. Oh well..
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Odd.

If you intend to fly PHL-MDW (many of which flights are $138 for some unknown reason), just buy PHL-PIT and get off in the middle.

Of course, it doesn't work going back.

Yes, because now even southwest, which always before offered standard pricing per segment and not made up price gouging on the fly, has become susceptible to the same hidden cities game. I don't know why but that doesn't please me one bit. They have started to mimmic everything I don't enjoy about failing airlines.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
A lot of Thursday evenings are not included to some cities, which makes the sale rather problematic for me. I booked my late August vacation, but I had to fly back from IAD instead of BWI due to capacity issues.

Not having the $69 tier for the 450-700 mile flights makes the sale less interesting to me, as I would pick up a lot of flights if that was in there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.