Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Heated exchange about the check in kiosks at BWI today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

This is my biggest WN pet peeve. Helped someone fly out of BWI today. Fairly busy for a Saturday afternoon this time of year -and why were the lines busy? Because half of the kiosks had that ramper with the next kiosk please sign? No - and that's fine, WN can't staff an infinite level of people.

Its because there were at any given time, 2-4 kiosks in the bag drop only line, that had the press here to begin message or whatever the message is, and nobody approaching the kiosks.. - And here's where the heat came - getting close to the front - I stated politely but loud enough to hear for the folks in front - "there are several kiosks available"... - then someone is standing right in front of the open one, and the people behind me say to him "excuse me - number 24 is open"... No response from the guy standing there. They say it again. He looks at them with rage and says

" I fly this airline 100 times a year, I know how it works, you don't approach the kiosk until you are called"..

Aren't these self service kiosks? And what is the message on them - can a more frequent flyer chime in for me. Doesn't it say "press enter to begin" as opposed to "please wait until called (a la USPS line)... At least after we checked in and waited for the tag, I called someone in line forward and they appreciated us not "hogging" the machine. I understand sometimes there will be people with tons of bags blocking an open one, and there will be infrequent flyers that don't know they can approach the machine, but this guy's behavior today really peeved me.

I don't know too if WN should invest in a q-matic type device saying "please proceed to number ...." every time it becomes available...
Old May 14, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: Southwest
That guy is an idiot. Don't waste any energy trying to educate his tiny brain. It's called a "SELF-SERVICE" kiosk for a reason.

For those that don't know...

1. Use Kiosk to check in & print your boarding pass
2. During check-in, you can specify how many bags you want to check
3. Once steps 1&2 are done, move aside and wait until your name is called
4. Don't be a idiot and block the kiosk for others. The line is for the self-service kiosk. Not to wait for your name to be called.
Old May 14, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
^

I'd say you did the right thing. I've had people say "that one is open" at the self serve checkout at the grocery and I nod at them in appreciation as I was too spaced out to notice. At the airport I've never had to check bags so I also just go straight to the BP only kiosk.
Old May 14, 2011, 7:03 pm

I fly 101 times a year!

I would have said, "Excuse me. I fly this airline 101 times a year. And I go up there when it is empty. Thanks."
Old May 14, 2011, 7:28 pm

Related: The Southwest kiosks are getting a new (overly complicated) makeover soon: http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...ce/kiosks.html
Old May 14, 2011, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Hopefully my new friend from today will understand what "please touch screen to begin" means....
Old May 16, 2011, 12:50 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
On occasion at LAS, I've had a slightly different issue, where you have to get past the WN gatekeeper at the head of the line to get to an open machine. In those cases, the WN staffer had the role of directing people to open machines, and it definitely felt awkward to essentially ignore that person, even though there were clearly more open machines behind them than the people they were directing to them.
Old May 16, 2011, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Hayden
On occasion at LAS, I've had a slightly different issue, where you have to get past the WN gatekeeper at the head of the line to get to an open machine. In those cases, the WN staffer had the role of directing people to open machines, and it definitely felt awkward to essentially ignore that person, even though there were clearly more open machines behind them than the people they were directing to them.
YES! This happened to me. Because I was approaching from the front (rather than the end) of the line, I didn't even realize there was a line... what I did observe was that of all the open and available kiosks, only 2 were being used. I walked up to the closest available kiosk and the WN staffer lost it. She came over to me and was so angry I didn't even understand what she was trying to say. So I asked her why isn't she allowing people in line (~20 passengers) to approach the kiosk and she threatened to have me removed from the airport. So much overreaction! She was about 5'3", short brown hair, middle aged white woman.

She was also telling people who were using the kiosks at the main entrance of the terminal (where I ultimately ended up checking in) that they had to come over and get in her line.

I've only flown in/out of Vegas once - was I missing something?
Old May 16, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ursine1
Related: The Southwest kiosks are getting a new (overly complicated) makeover soon: http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...ce/kiosks.html
I don't see an option to print a receipt. That would make 2 with US Air: their kiosk will only print a receipt if you did not check in from home.
Old May 16, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Reprogram the screen to say:

STEP RIGHT UP AND USE ME NOW!
Old May 16, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
At SLC on Thursday, a group of us stood in line about 30 minutes waiting for the WN staff to open the check in. We got there about two hours before a 6 a.m. flight, and they did not open until 4:30.

When they did, the extreme left kiosk was ready to go, but it was under a sign that said "Boarding Passes Only." The screen was clearly the regular check in screen. I was second in line and the person in front of me refused to move. So I said that I would use it.

So, eight of us hit eight kiosks at the same time, with me just a bit late.
I had my PRN memorized, BP's and ID in hand, punched the baggage check info and was the first done, and on the way to the TSA bag drop.

Preparation and practice pays off once again!

Even got a pass from the Scanner and Pat down at the TSA and was ushered through the WTMD. A twofer.
Old May 17, 2011, 3:46 pm

This is too funny

I could not stop LOLing. I mean people there is a kiosk and it says"Press Here to start". I don't recall it saying "Wait here for an agent to check you in".

Furthermore look up Self-Service in the dictionary the last time you had to wait for an agent to check you in was like 10 years ago so it seems. In less you are not tech savvy or have a disability etc. then you should be able to use it.

Step 1 Touch Start to Begin
Step 2 Enter your PNR
Step 3 Follow the on-screen instructions lol
Old May 17, 2011, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
Originally Posted by PHLflying
and the people behind me say to him "excuse me - number 24 is open"... No response from the guy standing there. They say it again. He looks at them with rage and says

" I fly this airline 100 times a year, I know how it works, you don't approach the kiosk until you are called"..

Aren't these self service kiosks? ...
Southwest needs to have a sign saying "if the person ahead of you doesn't use an unused kiosk, you may jump the line". ^
Old May 17, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SW RR, UA Mileage+
Originally Posted by Hayden
If I'm not checking bags, I very rarely use the kiosks at the SWA LAS ticket counters. I almost always go to the self service kiosks on the walkway between the C and D gate entrances (near the sort of airport museum). Of course, if LAS isn't your home airport and you're arriving in a Taxi those kiosks can be difficult to get to. I usually have my ride drop me off in Valet parking (tell the valet you took a wrong turn IF they ask), walk across the pedestrian bridge and you are right there at the entrance to the C gates with 6-8 (multi-airline) self service kiosks that are always empty. You might be able to convince a cabby to drop you off in valet if you tell him your car is parked there.
Old May 17, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL GM, F9 50K, NK Gold...AS MVP 50K soon?
Used a kiosk at DEN today to check a bag. They probably had 6-8 open out of a couple dozen and when one person was done with a kiosk the check-in agents would yell that that kiosk was free. From entering the line to leaving the checkin area took maybe five minutes, and this was with me copying my PNR from my boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.