Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest.com blocking access to AwardWallet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis

Anyone else here use AwardWallet to track their reward programs, including SouthWest?

As of this morning, AwardWallet is giving me a message that SouthWest is blocking them from accessing account info...

If this is true, its very disappointing! I've been using AwardWallet for a long time, tracking over 30 different programs, including Southwest (3 accounts, 1 for myself and 2 for employees)... and find it to be an incredibly useful tool.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:25 am

Curious why an employee would want their "boss' to track thieir travel and personal airline points?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrMan
Curious why an employee would want their "boss' to track thieir travel and personal airline points?
Because 99.9% of the travel these employees do (at least on Southwest) is business related (and obviously paid by the company), and as such, any free credits they earn are also owned by the company, and redeemed for company travel.

But that wasnt the main point of my original post...
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:13 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rajuabju
Because 99.9% of the travel these employees do (at least on Southwest) is business related (and obviously paid by the company), and as such, any free credits they earn are also owned by the company, and redeemed for company travel.
No, they're not, they're owned by the employee regardless of who pays for the ticket, as is detailed in the Rules of the Rapid Rewards program. I believe the rules of other frequesnt traveller programs contain similar provisions.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:25 am

Not only against every award program rules, but very bad Form in trying to retain good employees, not to mention potential HR legal issues.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:59 am
Original Poster

I dont wish to get into the details of the employment agreements we have with employees, so I'll amend my previous statements-

1) We dont "own" the credits/rewards or accounts of employees.

2) Is anyone else having this issue with AwardWallet blocking access to their own Southwest account?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Here's my take on this: If the employer facilitates the entire award being earned (by signing the employee up for RR, always entering the RR #, *AND* discusses this with the employee this up front, then it's no big deal if the employer asks the employee to use it for an upcoming business trip. Legally they are 'property' of the employee, however in practice I'm sure hundreds of small employers do it this way.

The RR/Credit issue can be much more complicated though, if you earned 6 credits from personal use , and 10 from business use.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: WN CP
2) Is anyone else having this issue with AwardWallet blocking access to their own Southwest account?
If AwardWallet is presenting you with a message indicating their access has been blocked by Southwest, it is reasonable to assume that this is affecting all AwardWallet users. Southwest probably hit AwardWallet over the head with its terms and conditions for southwest.com. While they are well within their rights to do this, I respectfully suggest that they focus their energy on fixing the myriad of real issues affecting the website.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
It's a shame that those same terms & conditions prevent anyone from writing any awesome little utility to track awards/flight itineraries, scraping data from the site (loging in on our behalf).

It seems that it would be within the terms and conditions, thoguh, for some of the same apps to be written via IMAP access to a mailbox such as GMAIL. The right programmer (is ftnoob listening)? Could scan the box and make a very nice spreadsheet/database report based on reading in any confirmation and cancellation emails found in the box. Maybe even award notification emails.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Anyone else here use AwardWallet to track their reward programs, including SouthWest?

As of this morning, AwardWallet is giving me a message that SouthWest is blocking them from accessing account info...
I got the same message- no more checking of WN balances. If enough people protest maybe WN will relent. My email will be sent shortly.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 3:23 pm

Yodlee still seems to have access.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:12 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Check with your attorney

But that wasnt the main point of my original post...
Courts have held that FF rewards are contracts between the airline and the passenger (NOT the person or company paying for the ticket).

Any side deal you have with employees to surrender their property may run afoul of labor laws.

Just sayin'
Old Jul 9, 2010, 4:46 am

I"m getting the same message. It's unfortunate that southwest is taking this position,.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:45 pm
Company Representative - AwardWallet

Yes, SouthWest did contact us and asked us to stop collecting data from their site on the member's behalf.

As more folks voice their opinion on this thread we will share this info with SouthWest in hopes that they reconsider.

Here is the information we are displaying on AwardWallet concerning SouthWest...

Unfortunately Southwest is not allowing us to pull data from their website anymore. You can update your balance manually and you can use AwardWallet for auto-login.

Southwest on their website state the following: "We like to think of ourselves as a Customer Service Company that happens to fly airplanes". If you can kindly ask Southwest to stop disallowing AwardWallet to pull your reward info we are confident it could go a long way.

You can email or call Southwest at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by AwardWallet
Yes, SouthWest did contact us and asked us to stop collecting data from their site on the member's behalf.

As more folks voice their opinion on this thread we will share this info with SouthWest in hopes that they reconsider.

Here is the information we are displaying on AwardWallet concerning SouthWest...
I sent them a message, got the standard reply for now.

Thank you for contacting us. We are forwarding your e-mail to our Customer Relations Department for further review. You should expect a response to your concern within 45 days, and we'll do our best to get back to you as soon as possible. We certainly appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Southwest Airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.