Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Need 1/2 credit by 4/30/10

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Help! Need 1/2 credit by 4/30/10

I just looked at my account and noticed I'm sitting at 15.5 credits. I have no upcoming SWA flight plans and further noticed that beginning 4/30/10 my old credits from 2 years ago start rolling off. Crap!

What would be the cheapest way to get 1/2 a credit before then so I get my free ticket redeemed. I thought about renting a car for a day but there has got to be something cheaper and less of a hassle. All ideas appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,

Mike
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Sign up for RR dining and start eating? That's actually not that bad of an option if you eat out/go to bars a bit *and* you can find participating places that you like/might be willing to try.

That second part is the rub on RR dining.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold Five Star, Marriott Platinum, Southwest RR
If you have stayed at any Hilton Hotels they do double dip on points, so you can send in a request for points to them showing yourstay with Hilton for .5 credit! Hopefully you have a Hilton stay you forgot about!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
Depending on where you live, renting a car might be pretty cheap and not much of a hassle. I rented in STL for one day last weekend for $17 (about $23 after taxes). Got 1 full Rapid Rewards credit with a Hertz/Southwest promo. Not a bad deal.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:37 pm

Programs: status-less.
Definitely car rental. Especially if you have a Hertz Local Edition nearby and can get a low one-day rate.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:03 pm

How about a Teleflora flower purchase. Probably will cost $40 to $50, but certainly is easy. 2 minutes on the computer. When is the last time you sent mom, wife, girlfriend, friend, etc flowers for no reason! (Ok so you have a reason.....but they won't know that!)
Old Apr 15, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Rent an Alamo car for a weekend day at $15 base rate, add your RR number, and make some fun out of it. I just got this:

https://www.alamo.com/index.do?actio...Day15andUp_A_I

I also remember a person recently had just lost 1.5 million or so miles in another program. He put out the call in FT: What to do? Several people rallied to his side by PMing the contract numbers of car rentals that they hadn't earned miles on, back prior to the expiration of his miles. It worked!

Last edited by Firewind; Apr 15, 2010 at 8:23 pm
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by Firewind
Rent an Alamo car for a weekend day at $15 base rate, add your RR number, and make some fun out of it.
Quite possibly the best and cheapest option. The .5 credit will post even before the lot attendant can hand you the receipt.

But if you don't want to leave the house, sending surprise "just because" flowers is not a bad way to do it.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:44 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jtaft
Definitely car rental. Especially if you have a Hertz Local Edition nearby and can get a low one-day rate.
Also consider booking it through SWA RR site, the corp rate SWA gets for Hertz rentals can be amazing.

YRRMV
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:23 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
But if you don't want to leave the house, sending surprise "just because" flowers is not a bad way to do it.
No, not a bad way at all... ^ In fact, one could order and pay now for them to arrive on Mother's day.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by jrpaguia
Yep. Quick and easy. Needed a half credit by 2/28. Right before Valentines Day I sent some flowers (around $35.00 IIRC). Credit posted about 3-4 days later. Everyone was very happy!
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Great ideas. I especially like the flower ones. When I called SWA, they kept telling me a car rental or other partner credit would take 6-8 weeks to post but sound like that is not the case.

What I ended up trying (and it worked) was to call a friendly customer service person for a hotel chain (SWA partner) that I had recently stayed at and asked them if I could "undo" my points in their program and instead could I get SWA credit. The credit hit within 24 hours and I am now the owner of a free RT ticket (hmmm, where to go )

They were very kind to do this for me and the customer service person I talked to understood what I needed and was very helpful. Not sure if it's an option all the time but it worked in this case. Maybe file it away if you find yourself in a similar bind.

Thanks all!

Mike
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mdc22474
Great ideas. I especially like the flower ones. When I called SWA, they kept telling me a car rental or other partner credit would take 6-8 weeks to post but sound like that is not the case.

Mike
I don't think it takes that long for a car rental to post, and does Southwest go by the date of the posting or the date you actually rented the car?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:45 pm

In terms of fitting within the expiration period of the credits, it's the date of the rental. If there's a delay in posting, they go back and see that it was before your credits expired, and issue the award. The award expires a year after the date that it's issued: if you should have reached 16 today, but it's delayed and the award isn't issued until June, the award expires in June 2011.

My recent credits for Hertz and Alamo rentals have posted within days.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by rove312
In terms of fitting within the expiration period of the credits, it's the date of the rental.
+1

In my experience, Alamo rental standard credits post lightning fast (as in same day, literally within seconds of turning in the car). Had an episode with bonus credits taking a bit longer, however, those were posted easily within a month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.