Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another new fee -- not...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Another new fee -- not...

...at Southwest.

I'm amazed that I beat FCFree on this one:

http://travel.aol.com/travel-ideas/a...vdynlprim0628#

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/6643901.html

Continental is in the headline, but it's five airlines that will be charging a new fee for traveling certain peak days: AA, CO, DL/NW, UA and US. (UA is in in one article, not in the other.) Sheesh.

This just seems like an obsession with deception. They hold advertised fares down through the holidays, but add the automatic fee. The article says CO's is $10. But that's just the foot in the door.

When I read that Mr. Kelly says Southwest is under pressure to go the fee route, it means to me that Southwest is under pressure to deceive, and I hope it will continue to resist. Every one of these draws the contrast more sharply.

BTW, when four (five or six) companies announce something like this at the same time, there is something else going on, too, but we've become so numb to it that it will probably pass without much attention.

[The first one is an ugly url. I tested it, and hope it works for others.]

Last edited by Firewind; Oct 6, 2009 at 9:00 am Reason: Added link to source article.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 6:18 am

Programs: eleVAte, Rapid Rewards
This isn't really a "fee"...it's rolled into the price, not a separate line item or anything like that.

The simple basics of Supply/demand account for why holiday travel costs more vs. middle of a normal week. I suspect that there are two things going on here:

1) This is basically price fixing, but not illegal since it's so overt. What I mean is.. airlines constantly change available fares, and it's not always possible for airline X to see that airline Y suddenly raised all their fares by $10 just by combing through. By yelling to the media about it, it's a "wink wink, nudge nudge" to the other airlines that they might as well raise their fares $10 as well - especially since LF's during the holidays are high, and pax demand is inelastic-ish. This also shows investors that management is doing something once in awhile.

2) Calling it a "fee" could, in some cases, allow the airline to charge an additional $10 to businesses who have fixed price contracts for a given route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.