Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad Midwest weather 1/7

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Bad Midwest weather 1/7

You can rebook for 14 days at no charge for MDW, MCI, STL, OMA MKE. We are suppose to get 5-10 inches at Midway.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
"Arctic Blast" Alert

This is a new one on me... I'll bet it also has to do with the 15-minute limit on ground crew exposure. Thank you, num1bearsfan and grain, if you're out there.

http://www.southwest.com/html/travel...ting_jan6.html

Travel Alert: Arctic Blast

Southwest Airlines is monitoring the current arctic conditions that could impact our scheduled service to/from several locations.

Based on the forecasted extreme temperatures and precipitation, there is a possibility that our flights could be disrupted (delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled).

For the most up-to-date specific flight information, please check Flight Status Information.

Chicago (Midway) (MDW)
Kansas City (MCI)
Milwaukee (MKE)
Omaha (OMA)
St. Louis (STL)
SWABrian, is this an official (cold) SODA?

Last edited by Firewind; Jan 7, 2010 at 8:20 am Reason: Added link.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Here's an example of what they say, but they are different for each station. For example, some allow a refund, and some don't. "...Until close of business..." is an interesting term, rather than a specific time, such as midnight.

Omaha (OMA)
We have made some adjustments to our scheduled service to/from OMA for Thursday (1/7).

Before heading to the airport, please check Flight Status Information for the most up-to-date specific flight information.

Customers holding reservations to/from OMA from 12pm CT on Wednesday, January 6, until close of business on Thursday, January 7, wanting to alter their travel plans may rebook in the original class of service or travel standby (within 14 days of their original date of travel between the original city pairs and in accordance with our accommodation procedures) without paying any additional charge.

Additionally, Customers holding reservations for a flight that is cancelled to/from OMA may request a refund for an unused ticket/travel itinerary.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
On days like today, I urge anyone attempting to travel to PLEASE consider rescheduling your flight. The operational issues are only compounded by the hundreds of angry stranded passengers (who were given both a warning and a free pass to reschedule) who showed up to fly anyways. This creates not only a congested terminal, but all of those bags that get checked in and don't go anywhere need to be dealt with and that takes time, energy, and attention away from the operation at hand. I understand that some people NEED to be certain places at certain times, but I also know that some people have some flexibility in their plans and choose to ignore the weather reports and show up to the airport anyways. It would be a great help if people traveling on non business related trips consider rescheduling. Not only for us, but for you, because quite frankly, there's a good chance you're not going anywhere anyways.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:22 am

This winter has not been kind to WN!

http://www.suntimes.com/business/197...west06.article

==========
Southwest Airlines' on-time arrival performance plummeted in December, and Chicago's Midway Airport looks to be a major trouble spot for a low-fare giant that used to be consistently at or near the top in on-time performance.

December 2009 systemwide on-time arrival performance for major domestic carriers

1. United 76.15%
2. Northwest 74.83
3. U.S. Airways 74.74
4. Delta 74.49
5. American 72.00
6. Southwest 71.15
7. Continental 68.08
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
Originally Posted by OzzyOzzie
This winter has not been kind to WN!

http://www.suntimes.com/business/197...west06.article

==========
Southwest Airlines' on-time arrival performance plummeted in December, and Chicago's Midway Airport looks to be a major trouble spot for a low-fare giant that used to be consistently at or near the top in on-time performance.

December 2009 systemwide on-time arrival performance for major domestic carriers

1. United 76.15%
2. Northwest 74.83
3. U.S. Airways 74.74
4. Delta 74.49
5. American 72.00
6. Southwest 71.15
7. Continental 68.08

It didn't stop us from being THE most on time airline in the country in 2009.
http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/do...tSub100106.pdf
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:19 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by Firewind
This is a new one on me... I'll bet it also has to do with the 15-minute limit on ground crew exposure. Thank you, num1bearsfan and grain, if you're out there.

http://www.southwest.com/html/travel...ting_jan6.html

SWABrian, is this an official (cold) SODA?
Yup official SODA for the Manitoba Masher, the Canadian Crusher (as opposed to Curb Crusher), the Arctic Avalanche.

BearsFan, I appreciate you guys outside. I worked one winter in Dayton on the ramp for another airline and it got down to -25F actual temp. Coldest I've ever been in my life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.