Getting Rapid Rewards Credits for Minors

Subscribe
We have four children and will be flying in a few weeks. Each of them has their Rapid Rewards account so they'll get flight credit. I know my wife and I can earn extra credits through credit card spending, hotel points, car rentals, etc. Any ideas on how to earn extra credits for the kids?
They can get credit card signup bonus
Quote: We have four children and will be flying in a few weeks. Each of them has their Rapid Rewards account so they'll get flight credit. I know my wife and I can earn extra credits through credit card spending, hotel points, car rentals, etc. Any ideas on how to earn extra credits for the kids?
American Express points can be transferred to anyone from your account.
Quote: They can get credit card signup bonus
I hope this isn't a "serious" response! Creating credit in a minor's name for a few stupid RR credits is a horrid idea. Why pay an annual fee for a card that you'll never (or, shouldn't ever) use? Even worse, why encumber your child's future credit rating by opening an account?

I believe that at least once, or twice, we used our son's RR # on a car reservation. It didn't seem to matter that the renter's name was different and it created no liability issues.
Quote: I hope this isn't a "serious" response! Creating credit in a minor's name for a few stupid RR credits is a horrid idea. Why pay an annual fee for a card that you'll never (or, shouldn't ever) use? Even worse, why encumber your child's future credit rating by opening an account?

I believe that at least once, or twice, we used our son's RR # on a car reservation. It didn't seem to matter that the renter's name was different and it created no liability issues.
if the parents are responsible, and can pay off the bills, etc, then there's no reason this would be a problem for the child's future credit...in fact it could help
agreed. as long as credit is used properly there is no harm in opening accounts in children's names early. I'm glad my parents did. based on the weird way FICO works, my 10 y/o co-signed credit card account account allowed me to get my own card when I was in college without a cosigner and further helped to get better rates on loans for grad school.

if you plan on spending enough on your cards to get multiple RR credits, may as well spread it out and use the kids filghts to reach the level a few trips faster but keep in mind the FICO trick only works if the accounts remain open (which means annual fees for some cards)
I had no idea
I had no idea you could even apply for a credit card for a minor. I guess it would have parent as co-signer?
Quote: I guess it would have parent as co-signer?
Yes.
My grandaughter who is 4 needs one rapid reward credit for a free flight.

Any specific suggestions for someone that young?
Any hotel stays or rental cars in the future?
Quote: Any hotel stays or rental cars in the future?
Barring that, any points in programs (that would otherwise remain unused) that could be transferred (e.g. AmEx MR, Hilton, Choice)?
Can you transfer those points to a child or does it have to match the name of the cardholder? I've never tried it so I have no idea.
Quote: Can you transfer those points to a child or does it have to match the name of the cardholder? I've never tried it so I have no idea.
amex will work. do it online, that way theres no one to question it. they say that its only supposed to be for people who are authorized on the amex account, but, it doesn't seem to matter online
Quote: amex will work. do it online, that way theres no one to question it. they say that its only supposed to be for people who are authorized on the amex account, but, it doesn't seem to matter online
I've heard the same but (of course) I always redeemed MR points into my own mileage accounts.