Community
Wiki Posts
Search

can unused tix be applied to Ding! fares?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nw Plat, Delta Dirt, Safeway Club Card, CVS Extra Care Card
can unused tix be applied to Ding! fares?

I have a ticket in September that I won't be using. I can apply that when I buy a Ding fare...is that correct? Thanks...the WN newbie
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:41 am

Sure. Just make sure that you cancel your existing reservation, which will free up the value on that PNR locator, which you can then used to purchase the new ticket (DING or regular).
Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:43 pm

your credits can be used for any purchase
Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:55 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Sure. Just make sure that you cancel your existing reservation, which will free up the value on that PNR locator, which you can then used to purchase the new ticket (DING or regular).
Note that with "regular" fares there is no need to cancel your reservation first, just use the Change Itinerary feature on Southwest.com instead.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 6:18 pm

Yes. Ticketless funds can be applied to any fare. One of the great things about WN.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:41 am

Now if they would only allow half a trip to be cancelled ... maybe one day they will be able to split up an itinerary so that we won't have to wait until the flight occurs to get our credit!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by threeatms
Now if they would only allow half a trip to be cancelled ... maybe one day they will be able to split up an itinerary so that we won't have to wait until the flight occurs to get our credit!
Unless you're booking a fare that requires round-trip travel (extremely rare) or a promotion that requires round-trip travel (slightly less rare, but still pretty rare), you should always book trips as one-ways in case you need to change it in the future (e.g., rebook it to take advantage of a lower fare). Even if you have booked a round-trip ticket, I believe you can cancel just half by phone reservations.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second part, you can get credit for the first part of a trip before you take the second part if they're far enough apart (or just use this trick if you're in a particular hurry to get flight credit posted).
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by Beckles
Unless you're booking a fare that requires round-trip travel (extremely rare) or a promotion that requires round-trip travel (slightly less rare, but still pretty rare), you should always book trips as one-ways in case you need to change it in the future (e.g., rebook it to take advantage of a lower fare). Even if you have booked a round-trip ticket, I believe you can cancel just half by phone reservations.
Beckles, isn't there one potential disadvantage to this - if you book 2 one ways and want to cancel and use them in the future, doesn't this limit you to being able to only use the value from one of the at a time? I guess you could cancel both and then rebook two more one ways, but if the new fares are lower you may end up with a nuisance relatively small unused value on each of the two one way tickets after rebooking. Unless there is some way to combine the remaining value of more than one ticket that I haven't picked up on yet?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:06 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Beckles, isn't there one potential disadvantage to this - if you book 2 one ways and want to cancel and use them in the future, doesn't this limit you to being able to only use the value from one of the at a time? I guess you could cancel both and then rebook two more one ways, but if the new fares are lower you may end up with a nuisance relatively small unused value on each of the two one way tickets after rebooking. Unless there is some way to combine the remaining value of more than one ticket that I haven't picked up on yet?
http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Mixing_funds_(SWA)

Last edited by curbcrusher; Sep 23, 2008 at 9:18 am
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Thanks again - but I am getting the following message from the above link:
There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:19 am

Programs: WN CP
Sorry. FT mangled the URL upon saving the post. Second try:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Mixing_funds_(SWA)
Old Sep 23, 2008, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by GrizShel
Beckles, isn't there one potential disadvantage to this - if you book 2 one ways and want to cancel and use them in the future, doesn't this limit you to being able to only use the value from one of the at a time?
Even without any work-arounds, as shown in the links above, you can apply two ticketless funds to each reservation. Personally I don't bother combining funds, I never have a problem using the ones I have on future reservations because of this, but YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.